Strange engine setup - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 04-23-2011 Thread Starter

Strange engine setup

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? The shaft comes out of the boat at an angle of at least 10 degrees to the side. I've never seen anything like this and can't understand any purpose of doing it this way.

100_0148.jpg picture by chuck53 - Photobucket
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-23-2011

Chuck,

Many years ago, my dad had a wooden boat with the same
arrangement. My guess is that the engine was added at a later
time and they didn't want to cut into the keel, or as in the boat pictured,
the skeg & rudder assembly? Looks like perhaps that boat wasn't
designed for an inboard and it was added later?

dabnis
post #3 of 22 Old 04-23-2011
Large Member

Type of boat? Custom? Original set up? Wood hull?

Might compensate for prop walk
post #4 of 22 Old 04-23-2011
Grasshopper

That's the weirdest setup I've ever seen...must have been on drugs when they they thought that one up.
post #5 of 22 Old 04-23-2011 Thread Starter

When I saw the boat, I was so shocked at what I saw, I didn't pay any attention to any other details of the boat. But I seem to remember the boat being a little too big and not set up for an outboard. Next weekend when I go to the marina, if the boat is still there, I'll get more details.
It looked like a production boat - not built in someone's back yard and it didn't look like a real racer that wouldn't have an engine at all.
post #6 of 22 Old 04-23-2011
Junior member, rest old

Actually many of the older C&Cs are like that. My '77 30-mk1, with an Atomic 4, is like that. If the purpose was to counteract for prop walk, it wasn't very successful. In the case of the boat pictured, I suspect it was to avoid having the prop shaft exit the hull at an extreme downward angle.

Mark Smith
1977 C&C 30 Mk 1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio
post #7 of 22 Old 04-23-2011
Senior Slacker

I've seen a couple of other boats with an off-set prop like that. I think the idea is to have the shaft angled out to port a bit to counter the tendency of an off-set prop on the port side to yaw the boat to starboard, and to allow placing the engine along the centerline of the hull. Of course, under sail the drag would make the boat yaw a boat to port a bit.

As to why they didn't just install a shaft log along the center line, besides the possible easier installation (since you don't have to drill through the keel itself), if you look closely this set-up allows for greater prop clearance w/o having to angle the the shaft down at a much greater angle. Its a trade-off that might well make sense in some designs.

Edit: D'oh!! msmith beat me to it by one minute!! (I gotta start typing faster.)

Never forget them. Do something to prevent it from happening again.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
post #8 of 22 Old 04-23-2011
A New Adventurer

My Sabre has this... all of them did until the 90s. It's for the reasons listed above. I just worry about it getting ripped off by something.

1989 Sabre 34II Targa
mjsailing.com
post #9 of 22 Old 04-23-2011 Thread Starter

I had thought about the downward angle part but many boats have a deep downward angle and we're talking about a sailboat - not a go-fast. And I would think the drag on the prop would be worse under sail. So maybe a little faster under power but a little slower under sail.
post #10 of 22 Old 04-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck53 View Post
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? The shaft comes out of the boat at an angle of at least 10 degrees to the side. I've never seen anything like this and can't understand any purpose of doing it this way.

100_0148.jpg picture by chuck53 - Photobucket
Looks like an 80's vintage Sabre to me...

Roger Hewson did that with a number of his designs back then, according to the Sabre they "implemented the left offset propeller to diminish the effect of torque created by the rotation of the propeller. This design also allowed propeller shaft removal without necessitating removal of the rudder."

I've never run one, so I can't say... but I would imagine it would also reduce the buffeting effect of the propwash on the rudder to a certain degree, as well... Always looked like they went slightly overboard with the concept to me, however, that's a pretty serious angle, and must involve a significant loss of forward thrust...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.