Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011

NoRush is on a distinguished road
Miami visitors moorings

Hi, new to this forum. Not quite sure how it works or if I'm posting in the right place...

I'm doing a delivery from Great Abaco, Bahamas to Fiji or Sydney via Miami.

I'm looking for recomendations re a visitors mooring in Miami. I'll be on a 46 ft cat. I'd like to be close to shops & chandlers for easy getting of supplies (without a car). We'll need a few days & then wait for a weather window. I don't know the US at all - what's a good supermarket chain for food? And where can I get 2nd hand jerry cans for water & fuel?

And any advice on the route north of Cuba - Old Bahama Passage - thru the Windward Passage. It'll be end July/ August!!!

And any thoughts on huricane bolt holes? Jamaica?

Any input appreciated.
No Rush!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2011

ebs001 is on a distinguished road
It's been a couple of years since I have been to Miami or more correctly Miami Beach. We anchored north of the Venetian causeway on the Miami Beach side. There is an excellent Publix supermarket right behind Sunset Marina. For more specialized foods visit The Epicure Gourmet Market on Alton Rd. For a chanderlery you can dinghy to Miami beach Marina and there is an excellent one in the shops behind the marina.
I have no idea where you can pick-up used jerry's but Walmart sells new ones for around $14. You will need public transit to get to a Walmart .
Old 04-24-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Why Miami? you are heading in the wrong direction for the Canal. I just did the I 65 route from Miami to St Thomas and went past the Abacos! If you have to go to Miami reverse your route and go via the Abacos.

Head east from the Abacos, south through the Windward passage and then south east to the to the Canal. You can do the real provisioning in Panama for reasonable prices.

However, having spent 8 yrs in the hurricane box between Miami and Trinidad and Cartagena, you would not find me crossing the Caribbean in August.

Phil
Old 04-24-2011

NoRush is on a distinguished road
Thanx. The reason for Miami is to collect gear for the owner. Yes - the wrong way and the wrong time of year. Some people have suggested hopping over to Cuba from the end of Florida & leaving Cuba to port? More options in terms of bolt holes along the central american coast???
Old 04-24-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Not really, you have to cross the Caribbean to get to them.

Owner luggage driven decisions rarely make for good seamanship. During hurricane Wilma in Miami and the Keys we saw a sailing superyacht and a 120 ft 'gin palace' sunk because of decisions made by the owner!

Phil
Old 04-24-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Used jerry cans?? Good luck. Supermarkets tend to be Winn-Dixie or Publix, both have fans. Check out their web sites or circulars to see who has what you need on sale that day, sales run Thurs-Weds generally.

A Zipcar or one day rental may wind up saving you a lot of time, especially if you pick up the jerry cans, then take them for filling, then back to the boat. Depends on where you and everything else are located, but once you've tied up you should be able to get some internet access, check out the bus lines and chandleries, and make some decisions based on all that.
Old 04-24-2011
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Mooring field at Dinner Key Marina. Free taxi to the land. Whole foods near by. West Marine and River Marine are not to far. Home Depot too real close.
Catalina 445, Hull #90
Old 04-25-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Whole Foods: lots of organics, good quality, but very high prices. Not the place to go if you're on a budget, unless it is a champagne budget.