Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011

Exiles is on a distinguished road
Orkney or Shetlands????

Hello

I am planning a trip from Copenhagen to Reykjavik in the near future and have a couple of questions I need answered before my pilots and cruising guides arrive.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with sailing this route or from Scotland to Iceland. I would like to know if you suggest sailing through the Shetlands or the Orkneys?

Up to this point I am slightly favouring Orkneys to make it as far to the west as possible as early as possible as the winds tend to be predominantly from west and I want to make it to Reykjavik.

I have read to avoid Pentland skerries by going through Skapa flow but cannot find any information about protected harbours or yacht clubs in Skapa if I need to leave the boat for a few days/change crew etc. Or is it better I just avoid Orkney and stop in the Shetlands? and where is a good place to stay?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2011

nemier is on a distinguished road
Exiles, Hello.
I have worked up that way for a few years and I'm familiar with Lerwick in the Shetlands. Mostly visited by Norwegian yachts, but some Brits too. The main town of Lerwick has much to offer, full provisioning, yachts services, fuel and most importantly, Capt. Flints Bar. The 'marina' is a protected inlet open from the North or South, and is situated virtually right down-town. The Airport in Sumbrugh is about 20 miles away, right at the Southern tip of the Shetlands. Taxi's a 'plenty.
I'd say you would appreciate the stop. If I'm sailing that way anyday, I plan to make a stop in Lerwick. I hear the other surrounding bays are quite nice too. That whole area is pristine, I imagine just as the Vikings saw it.

Never really pulled into the Orkneys, so cannot adivise.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook