Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Back in the water, spring 2011

This is one of those posts where I just tell you I had a good day and things went well. Thanks for letting me tell some other sailors, "Yesterday was a good day".

Yesterday we splashed our 1984 Sabre 34 at her winter home, a boat yard on the Rhode River. We're later than we wanted to be, but much earlier than last year, so we're moving in the right direction! A few weeks earlier next year, and we'll be launching right on time for here in the Chesapeake Bay. We worked really hard over the past week to get her ready.

Thankfully, the launch went smoothly. We made a few final preps including getting the genoa on the furler. (Side note: I can't believe the number of people I see raising a furling genoa while their boat is on jack stands, but that's another thread). We had to go after work, so we couldn't pull out of the boat yard slip until about 5:30pm, and it's about 11 miles from the Rhode to our slip off the South River.

No problem! With the southerly wind blowing at 15 knots, we reached under full sail, doing 6 to 7+ knots most of the way. The boat sailed beautifully, and all the hard work just sort of melted away and relaxation rolled on in. South of Saunders Point, my wife took the helm. We gybed to make our turn into the South River, and at one point my wife mentioned a bit of extra weather helm. I eased the main sheet just a tad to dump a little air, and things smoothed right out.

In the South River, the winds were more SW, which meant an unusual beam reach all the way up the river, which runs NW to SE. The wind usually funnels up or down river. While we took pleasure in it, we discussed how since beam winds on the South River only happen once a season, we'll have a lot of winds on the bow or stern the rest of the year. Oh well.

We logged the 11 miles in about 1 hour 50 minutes...a great way to kick off the 2011 season!

Here's a pic of the boat shortly after launch, still at the boat yard:

Old 04-26-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Gorgeous. Hope to see you out there!
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-26-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Sounds like you had a wonderful day, and the boat looks great.

Gary
Old 04-26-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
Here's a pic of the boat shortly after launch, still at the boat yard:
[/IMG]
Love a happy beginning.

BTW, what a beautiful boat!!! May be one day when I get older I can buy one.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 04-26-2011
Unpaid Intern

Thanks folks.

RockDawg, if you're sailing a 2006 Jeanneau, sounds like you're "all growed up" already!
-J
Old 04-26-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
Wow...are you sure someone didn't slip you a brand new shiny boat by mistake?

Looks like a lot of loving elbow grease went into that shine. Have a great sailing season on that beautiful boat!
Old 04-26-2011
Unpaid Intern

dnf777, Thanks but I think the beautiful sunshine was helping a good bit there in the picture. The hull was just waxed, but up close the decks could use a good "post yard" scrub. And the brand new dock lines help a lot too (old travel dock lines were in bad shape)!
Old 04-26-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Man, I'm jealous...

We're supposed to finally get in the water this week. I finished the wash/wax nearly a month ago and called then thinking there would be a week or perhaps 2 to wait to get splashed so I could rush and get the bottom paint done. Fat Chance. They were booking this week over a month ago. We're just not used to that coming from Deltaville where peak season wait for a splash or haul was usually less than a week. Anyway, it did allow me to take my time with the bottom paint and a couple of other things but, Even after I get back in the water I have a lot to do before I can really start using the boat so, post's like this really sting.
Old 04-26-2011
Unpaid Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
We're supposed to finally get in the water this week. I finished the wash/wax nearly a month ago and called then thinking there would be a week or perhaps 2 to wait to get splashed so I could rush and get the bottom paint done. Fat Chance. They were booking this week over a month ago. We're just not used to that coming from Deltaville where peak season wait for a splash or haul was usually less than a week. Anyway, it did allow me to take my time with the bottom paint and a couple of other things but, Even after I get back in the water I have a lot to do before I can really start using the boat so, post's like this really sting.
Sorry to hear that, midlifesailor. Last year we didn't splash until around May 15-ish. It was killing me, so I know how you feel. Last year we did a million projects, but paid for it with a late launch. Most of the projects did not require the boat being out of the water. This year, we stuck mostly to stuff that required the boat being out, so there's more to do, but we can sail in the meantime.

By the way, we did not had to give a long notice to splash--where are you located? We picked our "slot" about 10 days before we launched, and that worked fine. Hope you get sailing soon!
Cheers,
J
Old 04-26-2011
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
J-, congratulations on getting launched. Rhythm was splashed April 11 but it wasn't until last Sunday that we completed Spring commissioning. Last thing we did was raise the furling Genoa, which was completed just before the thunderstorms hit.

I too have seen boats on the hard and their owners raising the sails ... what are they thinking. Glad you had a great sail and I look forward to the same this weekend.

Rhythm's on the market now, just listed last Saturday. If you know anyone looking for a great Sabre 34 send them to Yachtworld. I'll PM you with my plans.

Regards...MGM
Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD