SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Mooring wanted, June 2011, NH to Portland ME (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/73989-mooring-wanted-june-2011-nh-portland-me.html)

rikhall 04-28-2011 01:42 PM

Mooring wanted, June 2011, NH to Portland ME

Hi all

My buddy just purchased a 37 foot boat in Salem MA. Mooring is paid until the end of May. We would like to go down to Salem and bring it up east to leave for the month of June. Then sail her home in July.

We are looking for a reaonabley priced, protected mooring somewhere from Portsmith NH up to and including Portland ME area.

Any suggestions? Anybody with a guest mooring? And no, $25.00 a night is not an option.

Post here or PM me, whatever you like.

Many thanks

Rik

DrB 04-28-2011 03:09 PM

Which boat did he buy?

Curious. If you care to share the name, I might know of the boat. I am on the hard in Salem, MA and have my boat moored in Salem Harbor.

Shoot me a PM if you care to share the name and don't want to post it on the general board.

DrB

DrB 04-28-2011 03:15 PM

Another Option,

If the mooring is paid until end of May, is there a way to extend it to June? It is only a few (overnight sail/motor) to Portland, ME so it doesn't cost you much in time.

The other option is to call the Harbormaster in Salem or Marblehead, MA and asked if they have a vacant mooring that they can put you on for little or no money for a few weeks. Explain that you just bought a boat, have a place for it until May but need a few more weeks at another location until June before you can move her. They are pretty accommodating if they have space.

DrB

Tim R. 04-28-2011 04:30 PM

You can get to Portland in a day. I have done this trip both ways. But you would be much closer to NB in that same day if you head further east.

You will not find anything in Portland for less than $30/night unless you anchor or know someone who will privately rent you a mooring. Everyone I know uses moorings that get rented by either a boatyard or a club while they are out cruising.

I would agree that an extension on your space in Salem will be your most economical option.

Minnewaska 04-28-2011 06:05 PM

Does it need any work done? Bottom paint, engine maintenance? That's always a good way to negotiate a layover.

rikhall 04-28-2011 11:06 PM

My understanding is that the boat is currently in a vey expensive "brand name" maria and my friend's hope is to geg her a day or two up the coast and find something a little less costly for June.

Does not need any yard work, but that was a good suggestion.

Thanks for the posts

Rik

TomandKarens34 04-30-2011 07:53 AM

This problem has to have a solution somewhere. There as so many moorings I can see from where I work, that never have a boat on them all summer. I mean, at least ten, that are unused. The problem is that this is a 37 foot boat and the current in many places in Portsmouth, is over 4 knots. The mooring for a 37 foot boat would have to be robust. I grabbed an unused mooring a few years ago, just for a night, and never thought a thing of it, but that was one night, a 25 foot boat, and on the Maine side of the river. The New Hampshire side may be more closely monitored. I could probably find a mooring for a smaller boat, but anything I could find in a week or two would be hopelessly undersized for 37 feet. Big difference between a 7000# boat and a 17000# boat..... Did you try Great Bay Marina ?

petmac 04-30-2011 07:54 AM

A decent mooring will probably cost $450 to $500/ month at a marina in that area. Not a lot of money in comparison to what the guy probably paid for the 37 ft boat. A good mooring is good insurance. If it is on a marina mooring somebody will keep an eye on it.

[A QUOTE=rikhall;724917]Hi all

My buddy just purchased a 37 foot boat in Salem MA. Mooring is paid until the end of May. We would like to go down to Salem and bring it up east to leave for the month of June. Then sail her home in July.

We are looking for a reaonabley priced, protected mooring somewhere from Portsmith NH up to and including Portland ME area.

Any suggestions? Anybody with a guest mooring? And no, $25.00 a night is not an option.

Post here or PM me, whatever you like.

Many thanks

Rik[/QUOTE]

mgiguere 04-30-2011 10:33 AM

I use to sail my boat from Cape Cod to Maine and leave it at various places along the way to come home, work, etc. I simply made up a special anchoring system and leave it that way. It worked fine. I had a Bruce and Danforth on chains to a swivel (20 feet for each) then 30 feet of chain from the swivel followed by 3 strand. When we have hurricane warnings here on the Chesapeake Bay, I move my boat from my mooring to my anchoring system...(anchoring systems absorbs the exaggerated rising water better than the mooring). My boat is an 1967 S&S 37 14,500 lbs. Have had the boat since 1984 and still going strong. Obviously pick a very well protected harbor for which there are many. If you can't find a place to stash your dingy, you can always carry an inflatable along.

Moe

mgiguere 04-30-2011 10:40 AM

I'm sure many people on this site will disagree with my suggestion. The other thing we do is sail year round. The boat comes out of the water in July for a week when labor cost is less at the yard. More than half the people pull their boats in the fall to early spring...which makes absolutely no sense to me. The best sailing in this area is early Fall through late Spring. During winter the yard moves us to one of the empty slips and starts up a de-icer when needed. Summer is the time to head north.