Bristol 45.5 - AiniA
Join Date: May 2006
Thanked 93 Times in 81 Posts
Rep Power: 9
Now in Gambier Islands, French Polynesia
Just to keep people up-to-date with our travels. We are now anchored at Mangareva Island in the Gambier islands (extreme SE corner of French Polynesia).
Since the last time I posted (internet often not available):
- went from Panama to Bahia, Ecuador where we left the boat for a month while backpacking in Ecuador and Peru - loved it!
- slow, uneventful passage to San Cristobal, Galapagos; did tour of other islands and had to leave harbor for the day when the tsunami from Japan came
- nasty 2 week passage to Easter Island; lousy! anchorage there but the island and people are great
- very slow trip to Pitcairn; could not anchor but my wife went ashore for the day (launch driven by Brenda Christian) and said it was great; I floated around a few miles offshore; big swells, no wind
- slow passage to Gambier (only 290 miles)
Had our first significant health issue on the way from Easter - a very large, infected boil on my leg just below my butt. Got medical advice from a doctor on another boat on the radio (thanks, Steve) and am still getting dressings changed by the medical clinic here (no charge) after more than three weeks. Turns out we should have an additional oral antibiotic suited for skin infections in addition to the topical one we used and Cipro which we had for internal infections. My wife did a great job running the boat and nursing since I could not sit comfortably and even had problems finding a way to lie down and sleep for about a week.
The anchorage here is great and it is first completely protected one we have had since the moorings at Bahia. The island is lovely and people great but it is hard to leave it is so relaxed. Going north through the Tuamotus early next week before heaing west to the bigger islands like Tahitis and Moorea.
Back in the water in Grenada - with new main and #2 and cockpit canvas (Santa came early). Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.