Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011
Relapsing

ArcherBowman is on a distinguished road
I was able to dodge these decisions Wednesday. Over 200 tornadoes in the South, and _I_ decide I'm going sailing. http://willstuff.wordpress.com/2011/04/30/ships-log-charleston-lady-the-gathering-storm-a-tale-of-low-adventure/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It ain't all buttons and charts, little albatross. You know what the first rule of sailing is? Love. You take a boat in to sea that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her afloat when she oughtta founder... tells ya she's hurtin' 'fore she keens… makes her a home." Captain Malcom Reynolds, Paraphrased
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-30-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Great thread, thank you all.
I2f, I know sudden changes can foretell squalls, but sometimes it's just local conditions. I was out on tuesday in LI Sound. Left the harbor in a warm moderate SSW. About a mile out I ran out of that breeze into a very light N, bringing with it cool damp air. It was a local sea breeze, fighting the ocean's sea breeze that blew across the island. I could see the line where the two met, a funny little noisy chop. Soon enough the real sea breeze came across fresh and warm from the island.
By the way, the worst squall I've sailed through was in a gaff yawl. I furled the jib and mizzen, scandalized the main (lowered the gaff). That led to some flogging, but the flexibility of the wooden spar mostly just let it bend. I don't know what the wind speed was, but an observer from shore said that my boat just disappeared in the spray and waves. I did have one break over the windward side, but it didn't get into the cockpit.
Old 04-30-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
It's funny but I remember sailing Oh Joy from Seattle to Anacortes (at least, that was the intended destination) in what started out as 20-25 and worke it's way up to 45 before I notice the difference. When sailing offwind, wind increases can sneak up on ya. I had full main and 135 out until a wave turned us beam on and I couldn't get her turned back offwind. So I spun into the next wave, hopped the crest and then doused the Genny (furler), hoisted the staysail and put one reef in the main. I should've put two in so the weather helm wouldn't be so bad later.

By the time twilight hit and I diverted to Port Townsend, it was blowing 62 and gusting to 78. I didn't appreciate doing a beam reach in that at all, especially with a single reef in the main. Lots of crackin' and poppin' going on as I eased way out to keep her feet. Don't rightly know how that old mainsail survived this long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2011
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
Great thread, thank you all.
I2f, I know sudden changes can foretell squalls, but sometimes it's just local conditions. I was out on tuesday in LI Sound. Left the harbor in a warm moderate SSW. About a mile out I ran out of that breeze into a very light N, bringing with it cool damp air. It was a local sea breeze, fighting the ocean's sea breeze that blew across the island. I could see the line where the two met, a funny little noisy chop. Soon enough the real sea breeze came across fresh and warm from the island.
By the way, the worst squall I've sailed through was in a gaff yawl. I furled the jib and mizzen, scandalized the main (lowered the gaff). That led to some flogging, but the flexibility of the wooden spar mostly just let it bend. I don't know what the wind speed was, but an observer from shore said that my boat just disappeared in the spray and waves. I did have one break over the windward side, but it didn't get into the cockpit.
Funny how these old wood boats handle it when the piss is up...

Old 04-30-2011

pdqaltair is on a distinguished road
I've been through a few like that; honestly, none were a real surprise. Big black clouds, you know.

The first few were in small boats and I struggled with to much sail. But with a tight jib and a main traveled down, they are "manageable." After a few more I learned: reduce sail early! Struggling with too much sail up generally does not make you look like a wise sailor; it makes you look foolish for fighting nature. A boat with tight reefs, sailing under easy control, looks smart.

I'm not saying you need to go right for the engine, but be realistic about how much wind it "may" pack, reduce, and get on a tack that takes you somewhere safe.

In squalls I will generally roll the jib way in, since it's dangerous to the gear to fool with it once the wind hits, and the main cleared to drop quickly if that's what's needed. 40 knots is tough, but what if there had been an 80kt microburst in there? Your sail would be gone now.

"Well, I just climb up to them."

by Joe Brown, English rock climber

Old 04-30-2011
On the hard

or the entire rig...

Old 05-01-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
All true. And the squall I mentioned hit like BarryL's. I saw the clouds over Ct, and figured they would go away east. I was tinkering with setting the jib when I noticed whitecaps and ominous dark clouds. Some of these storms move at 70mph- they catch up to you fast.
Old 05-07-2011

dpex is on a distinguished road
I'll Say It Again

Roller reefing on a headsail is absolutely fine if all you will ever do is puddle around in modest weather; or go with a full reef and start the iron spinnaker.

But in winds of serious sorts, roller reefing of the headsail increases issues.

Think about it, it's just physics. When you genny is set at full and your main at full, the vasrious centres of effort (the sails) compared to the cente of lateral resistence are in harmony...At least they should be.

Moreover, the wind on a full-set headsail passes by with minimal obstruction.

Now roller reef in your headsail. Apart from lessening the sail size, what does it do? First it creates a huge source of leading-edge eddie. Second it lifts the centre of effort by the degree of furl.

Do you all know how to calc the centre of effort of a sail? Sure you do. Tripex three lines from head, clew, and tack, to the opposite centre, (head to centre of foot. Luff to centre of leech, clew to centre of luff) and the trisect is the centre of effort.

See how roller reefing lifts it ever upward and creates and ever-increasing horizontal load on your boat?

Slab-reefing of a headsail creates none of these issues. As a slab comes down, so does the centre of effort, and the luff is still nice and clean.

Slab-reefing of a headsail is way-less arduous than roller reefing and presents none of the issues presented by roller-reefing. But it's essential only when one is playing in winds exceeding 25 knots.

I hope that helps.
Old 05-07-2011

moonshadow50 is on a distinguished road
Squall

I have found that fully furling the headsail and luffing into the sqall so that you have minimum headway but you still have control works best for the short time it takes for the squall to pass through. Then you can happily unfurl your headsail and get back on course with the least stress to you and your gear.
Old 05-07-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
Roller reefing on a headsail is absolutely fine if all you will ever do is puddle around in modest weather; or go with a full reef and start the iron spinnaker.

But in winds of serious sorts, roller reefing of the headsail increases issues.

Think about it, it's just physics. When you genny is set at full and your main at full, the vasrious centres of effort (the sails) compared to the cente of lateral resistence are in harmony...At least they should be.

Moreover, the wind on a full-set headsail passes by with minimal obstruction.

Now roller reef in your headsail. Apart from lessening the sail size, what does it do? First it creates a huge source of leading-edge eddie. Second it lifts the centre of effort by the degree of furl.

Do you all know how to calc the centre of effort of a sail? Sure you do. Tripex three lines from head, clew, and tack, to the opposite centre, (head to centre of foot. Luff to centre of leech, clew to centre of luff) and the trisect is the centre of effort.

See how roller reefing lifts it ever upward and creates and ever-increasing horizontal load on your boat?

Slab-reefing of a headsail creates none of these issues. As a slab comes down, so does the centre of effort, and the luff is still nice and clean.

Slab-reefing of a headsail is way-less arduous than roller reefing and presents none of the issues presented by roller-reefing. But it's essential only when one is playing in winds exceeding 25 knots.

I hope that helps.
Gosh do you think I should tell this sailor how dangerous her boat is, she has no less than three roller furlers.

From Hoot Mon

Whoops too late she has sailed it round the world through the southern ocean and all in record time, shame that innit.