Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011

JordanH is on a distinguished road
dnf777 said it very well.

For more information about costs, I just came across this link: Costs Of Buying And Cruising On A Boat
You can take from the links what you may and use it to provide even more accurate numbers for your plan.

This thread is running in parallel with yours, http://www.sailnet.com/forums/theres...-cruising.html , and although his budget is not in the same league as yours, the ideas are the same. There are claims of $1000+/- per month for a cruising couple and others claim $1,000-$1,200 (excluding a tonne of costs that must be accounted for.) It'd be nice to say those could be cut in half since you're single, but that's generally not the case (i.e. dockage isn't halved because you're solo instead of a couple)

p.s. imagine2frolic, your implication that our advice is not valid because we have not left everything to sail-away on a shoestring is not logical or rational. I have also never jumped off a tall building or played in traffic but my advice to not do so is still valid. Many of us that have not sailed away, have purchased boats and know the costs of cruising. I'm surprised that you were able to leave everything and sail away for 2 years on a $15k budget - please share your secrets, 'cause I want to go too!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2011

pistonbully is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys,, All good advice!

I am currently looking into attaining work with the Florida keys Sheriffs dept! That would be a great way to transfer out there! (Not that i'm already one) But I have always had an interest.

I think i'm going to take all this advice and maybe heave to and lay the hull while I save and ponder. .

Thanks again guys!

P.S, Know why I want to leave so bad? Because it's May 1st and IT"S STILL SNOWING HERE IN CO!!
Old 05-01-2011

GulfTriton is on a distinguished road
Just because someone sailed a boat for an hour a month on nice days does not make it ready to cruise. Just for reference this is a list and prices of things I absolutely had to do to the last “Ready to Sail” $5000 boat I purchased just so I could take it 800 miles from Texas to Florida. The items with * means I possibly could have got by without them but I was a whole lot better off with them.
Repaint Bottom $400*
Replace Thru hulls & Seacocks $750*
New Anchor & Rode $250*
New Batteries $300*
Holding Tank and Plumbing $400
Re-bed Deck Fittings $100
Replace Settee Cushions $400*
New Running Rigging $700
New Standing Rigging $1800
Motor Tune-up $200
Haulout Fees $350
That is a total of $5650 in necessary repairs. Plus I still need new sails, a vhf, and all sorts of other things. I did all of the work myself except for sewing cushion covers.
Old 05-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfTriton View Post
Just because someone sailed a boat for an hour a month on nice days does not make it ready to cruise. Just for reference this is a list and prices of things I absolutely had to do to the last “Ready to Sail” $5000 boat I purchased just so I could take it 800 miles from Texas to Florida. The items with * means I possibly could have got by without them but I was a whole lot better off with them.
Repaint Bottom $400*
Replace Thru hulls & Seacocks $750*
New Anchor & Rode $250*
New Batteries $300*
Holding Tank and Plumbing $400
Re-bed Deck Fittings $100
Replace Settee Cushions $400*
New Running Rigging $700
New Standing Rigging $1800
Motor Tune-up $200
Haulout Fees $350
That is a total of $5650 in necessary repairs. Plus I still need new sails, a vhf, and all sorts of other things. I did all of the work myself except for sewing cushion covers.
Wow,, That's some perspective..
Old 05-01-2011

SailingWebGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbully View Post
P.S, Know why I want to leave so bad? Because it's May 1st and IT"S STILL SNOWING HERE IN CO!!
Haha! Get the hell out of there asap!
Old 05-01-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I did.

Just what your thiking about. W/ a few additions.

It was Dec. of 2006 I'd had it w/ fuel prices,work land life etc.

Bought a $2000 boat in tampa,Fl. cleared out 35 yard bags of trash in the ,dumpsters at the Gulfport.FL. Municipal Marina sailed/motored to Glades Boatyard near Okeechobee,FL spent 8 days and $600 to do a bottom job,cutlass bearing ,oil change a few other things. Launched ,loaded the wife,3yr.old girl,and 4 dogs.
Hung around the boat yard working on boats until I decided to go (2-3 monts) . sailed up and down the east coast through the chesey all the way to Ontario lake and back to florida 3 times and just got off the boat last November,2010. Did it all inclusive on less than $15000.00
I'm currently gearing up to go for a couple more years.
Now, I'm more familiar and have a better grasp of what to expect.
This time will be even BETTER.

I think I need to write a book on it or make a websight, I'm missing out as I have met (in my travels) other sailors who didn't know even how to anchor and now are giving classes,seminars and charging people to listen to their stories and experiences !?!?!!!!!
My advice to you is. If you see it on craigs list for $100 you can probably find one for $50 ,if your in the right place.
Consider this.
Skip the sailing classes. Keep reading (library-free) Keep hording $$$ ($15000.00 good, $20,000.00-better).
When you got the cash, start watching the used boat market in an area like the chesapeake.
GO to the place where the cheap boats are. bring cash and tent.
find part time job,so you don't waste yur cash.
Start looking at those "Deals" Decide on what you like to fix (engine,rigging,hull) pick the one that's broken that you can stand to fix. For me I chose a boat w/ crappy sails and rigging and a good hull and engine,I don't mind fxing rigging and sails.
Then , fix boat,launch boat . As this is taking shape you'll be learning/and meeting other sailors and you'll catch on or find out you hate it!
If your still into it, cast off down the coast/ICW toward Florida.you'll learn everyday ! by the time you get to florida you'll know if you want to go further.

I found I want to go MUCH further. Maybe I'll see you along the way-
Old 05-01-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Now THIS is a damn good thread.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-01-2011

Lol,,, it is pretty informative.. i am learning A LOT along the way..
Old 05-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
I did.

Just what your thiking about. W/ a few additions.

It was Dec. of 2006 I'd had it w/ fuel prices,work land life etc.

Bought a $2000 boat in tampa,Fl. cleared out 35 yard bags of trash in the ,dumpsters at the Gulfport.FL. Municipal Marina sailed/motored to Glades Boatyard near Okeechobee,FL spent 8 days and $600 to do a bottom job,cutlass bearing ,oil change a few other things. Launched ,loaded the wife,3yr.old girl,and 4 dogs.
Hung around the boat yard working on boats until I decided to go (2-3 monts) . sailed up and down the east coast through the chesey all the way to Ontario lake and back to florida 3 times and just got off the boat last November,2010. Did it all inclusive on less than $15000.00
I'm currently gearing up to go for a couple more years.
Now, I'm more familiar and have a better grasp of what to expect.
This time will be even BETTER.

I think I need to write a book on it or make a websight, I'm missing out as I have met (in my travels) other sailors who didn't know even how to anchor and now are giving classes,seminars and charging people to listen to their stories and experiences !?!?!!!!!
My advice to you is. If you see it on craigs list for $100 you can probably find one for $50 ,if your in the right place.
Consider this.
Skip the sailing classes. Keep reading (library-free) Keep hording $$$ ($15000.00 good, $20,000.00-better).
When you got the cash, start watching the used boat market in an area like the chesapeake.
GO to the place where the cheap boats are. bring cash and tent.
find part time job,so you don't waste yur cash.
Start looking at those "Deals" Decide on what you like to fix (engine,rigging,hull) pick the one that's broken that you can stand to fix. For me I chose a boat w/ crappy sails and rigging and a good hull and engine,I don't mind fxing rigging and sails.
Then , fix boat,launch boat . As this is taking shape you'll be learning/and meeting other sailors and you'll catch on or find out you hate it!
If your still into it, cast off down the coast/ICW toward Florida.you'll learn everyday ! by the time you get to florida you'll know if you want to go further.

I found I want to go MUCH further. Maybe I'll see you along the way-
That's damn inspiring!! So you sailed for nearly 4 years on 15k? Maybe I didn't quite understand you right.. if so that's AWESOME!! Especially when you add in family and pets.

Did you not know how to sail before you started?
What size boat? Gotta pic of it, I'd love to see her!
Old 05-01-2011

Come on!!

SeaFarer 29 ft. Sailboat, 1974