Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
I sailed b-4 but not as much as I thought I had. but you go easy learn the weather patterns and watch the "heard" if everybody is hunkering down, maybeit's a good time to do the same.
A 32' sailboat.
Pictures? - 100's of em , never enough.
Yea $15000.00 for 3-4 years. stopped when work was offerred here and there. Mostly didn't really want to work.Could have worked more and longer , but WHY ? thats working,not cruising. I thought you were askin' bout' cruisin'

There is always work,most places.
If you get "on the Ground" so to speak. immerse yourself in the sailing/cruising enviroment, you'll quckly find your comfort level,or decide it's not yuor thing.
But, you can't know if your in Colorado. You must be where it is being done or at least being pursued.
Alot of "starters" get all hung up on choosing the boat and trying to figure out what they need.
Just get one that floats and sails/motors you'll figure out what you want and need rather soon !
Just don't jump at the first solution and be patient to the point of procrastination when parting w/greenbacks. If you can take a little extra time to look around you'll find all manner of solutions that work for YOU.
Me, I like Ice w/ my rum.cold milk.a hard tender.Solar/wind.blue crab.oysters,flat seas,quite achorages,free dighy docks,solar showers,uninhabited islands,boatyard dumpsters,gatherings w/other cruisers,sunsets,... .. . . . . .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2011

pistonbully is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, Thanks for all the wonderful comments and info..

Q, if i were to make my way out east and do as I've been talking about. When would be the best time of year (After Winter) to head out and have the best chances at good sailing..

I was thinking I may want to look into july? When's the best Gulf stream crossing season?
Old 05-02-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbully View Post
Hey guys, Thanks for all the wonderful comments and info..

Q, if i were to make my way out east and do as I've been talking about. When would be the best time of year (After Winter) to head out and have the best chances at good sailing..

I was thinking I may want to look into july? When's the best Gulf stream crossing season?
Errrr you might want to look into a thing called the "HURRICANE SEASON"

Yes you often do get good light wind sailing in the Bahamas during the summer months but you need to be very aware of the possibilities of a hurricane strike during that time. There are few good hurricane holes in the Bahamas and they will usually be stuffed full of local boats.

The traditional Bahamas cruising season is November/December to May. Crossing the Gulf stream has been covered many times on this forum and is not a trivial exercise in a small sailboat. Basically wait down in Miami for a weather window and be prepared to go when it appears. I have waited 3 weeks anchored off the Marine stadium in December looking for a break in the NE winds.
Old 05-02-2011

imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=JordanH;725745]dnf777 said it very well.

For more information about costs, I just came across this link: Costs Of Buying And Cruising On A Boat
You can take from the links what you may and use it to provide even more accurate numbers for your plan.

This thread is running in parallel with yours, http://www.sailnet.com/forums/theres...-cruising.html , and although his budget is not in the same league as yours, the ideas are the same. There are claims of $1000+/- per month for a cruising couple and others claim $1,000-$1,200 (excluding a tonne of costs that must be accounted for.) It'd be nice to say those could be cut in half since you're single, but that's generally not the case (i.e. dockage isn't halved because you're solo instead of a couple)

p.s. imagine2frolic, your implication that our advice is not valid because we have not left everything to sail-away on a shoestring is not logical or rational. I have also never jumped off a tall building or played in traffic but my advice to not do so is still valid. Many of us that have not sailed away, have purchased boats and know the costs of cruising. I'm surprised that you were able to leave everything and sail away for 2 years on a $15k budget - please share your secrets, 'cause I want to go too![/QUOTE]

You have confused 2 different people as 1. If a person wants to be a minimilist then they can just go. Joe the cobbler is a perfect example. I went a notch above him. Some people think you need every last gadget, and a ton of money in the bank. Even a worn boat will get you across the Gulf Stream with caution. When you get out there cruising you will see people out there doing just what the O.P. suggest he is thinking. .........i2f

BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-02-2011
cruising all I can

HEY ! what do you mean "a notch above?" - just kidding, no offense taken.

to the OP-
I would thnk you would want to be on the east coast (or in my example-chesapeake) as early in the spring/end of winter as possible , to get an early start on aquiring boat,repairs,learning curve,as well as enjoying the chesapake in the spring/summer b-4 heading south to enjoy the warmth.
Of course if you arrived in the fall you might be able to take advantage of the "end of the season" purchasing opportunities.But, with the current economic condition, I don't think it will matter much as their seems to be plenty of people willing to divest themselves of their "toys".

Thinking about the chesapeake makes me yern for blue-crab ,oysters,and more sailing,....MMMmmmmmm......
Old 05-02-2011

The Chesapeake must be amazing,, Cuz a lot of you guys mention it..
Old 05-02-2011
cruising all I can

largest estuary in the world.

Yea, I guess amazing is a good start.
Old 05-02-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Some folks claim Chesapeake Bay is the "Sailing Capitol Of The World." If it's not, then it's a damned close second. The bay provides you with 10,000 square miles of relatively protected water, lots of room to sail for days on end, and more places to explore than any estuary in the world. I've been boating on the bay since age 5, which puts the time at 65 years and counting. There are still places that I haven't explored, but with luck I'll eventually see them all. If the year-round temperature here was 75 degrees I could probably spend at least twice as much time sailing and exploring than I do now. This year, if my health and the weather holds up, I hope to spend 102 days on the bay and nearby coastal waters. And, if my plans work out, 2012 will be even better because I'll be sailing to the Florida Keys and Bahamas for the winter months.

If you're looking for a good, inexpensive boat, this part of the world is where I would be shopping. I published an article in Ira Black's Noreaster Magazine a few years ago about derelict boats. During my research on the article information I discovered that in Maryland that number is approximately 10,000, of which a significant percentage is sailboats. At the small marina where I'm currently at there were five sailboats to 30 feet that had been abandoned. There was also at least a dozen power boats. Most of the power boats have since been cut up with chain saws and hauled to the landfill, but nearly all the sail boats are still there. The marina is relatively small and only has about 125 slips. Some other marina owners I talked with claim to have dozens of derelicts, some of which are in fairly good shape and just need a little TLC to get them back in action.

Good luck,

Gary
Old 05-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post

If you're looking for a good, inexpensive boat, this part of the world is where I would be shopping. I published an article in Ira Black's Noreaster Magazine a few years ago about derelict boats. During my research on the article information I discovered that in Maryland that number is approximately 10,000, of which a significant percentage is sailboats. At the small marina where I'm currently at there were five sailboats to 30 feet that had been abandoned. There was also at least a dozen power boats. Most of the power boats have since been cut up with chain saws and hauled to the landfill, but nearly all the sail boats are still there. The marina is relatively small and only has about 125 slips. Some other marina owners I talked with claim to have dozens of derelicts, some of which are in fairly good shape and just need a little TLC to get them back in action.

Good luck,

Gary
Wow that's pretty cool info.. Thanks !
Old 05-02-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
"Next buy a Sail boat 25 to 28 feet somewhere on the east coast or in the gulf for $5000 or less.. "

Take a look online, here and in other forums, at the many many other threads asking the same question. Asked and answered, many times.

"(I have found A LOT of good deals in this price range). "
If you'd never driven a used car, or sailed an airplane, or owned a mule, do you really think you could find a bargain on one without knowing how to use it, how the different models performed, or how they could all up and die on you? Again, asked and answered many times in many forums. Take a look around.

By all means go for it--but if you're not going to do the research, you'd be better off throwing the money on the tables in Vegas, where the odds of winning might actually be higher.