Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
My advice for you:

Rather than look for a boat right now, start learning about sailing. Get a good beginners book and study it to get a foundation. Then get a really good book, like The Annapolis Book of Seamanship and study that, watch the DVD's from Netflix....etc....get Don Casey's book The Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual....the whole first section is on doing your own inspections so you can disqualify a boat before spending money on a survey. You only want to drop $$$ on a survey to "confirm" the boat you want is a good one. Nigel Calder's books, Cruising Handbook and Boat Owners Mechanical and Electrical Manual should also be added.
Sounds like a synopsis of what the wife and I did several years ago. The Annapolis Book of Seamanship by John Rousmaniere was s great start. He's on Netflix and you can stream one or two of his videos. We also have Don Casey's book on surveying an old boat. We used both, along with several others, to learn as much of the basics as we could before we bought. Then we bought small, learned to sail, and moved up.

Research, research, research. Visit forums and ask a lot of "dumb" questions. Better to look "dumb" here than to look dumb while being towed back to your marina so you can find out how much you need to spend to get her back out on the water! Worked for us, and buy, did we have our dumb moments, but at least none to bad or dangerous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2011

G1000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbully View Post
As for a sea anchor ,this is the first i've heard of those.. I shall now set off to google for more data....
Believe me you can't imagine hitting hurricane in a middle of the night. Plus I very much doubt so old boats could handle force 10 without extensive refit. Not to mention novice single handed sailor...
Storm Tactics Handbook: Modern Methods of Heaving-to for Survival in Extreme Conditions
HANDLING STORMS AT SEA: The 5 Secrets of Heavy Weather Sailing

Last edited by G1000; 05-03-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-03-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
Two more great books! I have them but forgot to mention them.

S/V Footprints

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 05-03-2011
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road
Dude, go for it!. I'd start moving now, to MD, buy something 30-ft or larger, move in, sail the Bay, learn, work on her, and then live the dream.

I just wish I bought my boat 20 years ago.

Oh, I, too, wanted to be a ski bum when I got out of the military back in 1977, actually ski patroled a season, then recreationally, until things got so darned expensive and crowded. Got bored with waiting in line for 20 minutes, 5-10 minute ride to the top, then 2.5 minutes to the bottom.

Then, I became a slave and worked, and still work, from paycheck to paycheck, this time with a 23-footer sailboat that I've spent thousands on, after the initial purchase. Getting ready to enjoy the inland sailing season on a very nicely upgraded boat. Just wish I was younger. I'm sure enjoying the hell out of sailing, and it scares the crap out of me too, half the time. Some mighty ugly winds on the Columbia River at times.

But, I'm learning and am fortunate to have befriended two live aboard folks, who both work at the local Chandlery, dock close to my boat, who love to sail, lots!!!!, one on a Catalina 27 tall rig, and the other a 34-foot Columbia (very sweet boat that's been to Hawaii twice).

Best of Luck!!!!! You've found a great place here to get your research done. Listen to these folks. They know their stuff. Oh, you'll want to add the latest edition of Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship to your library. A very knowledgable fellow who used to frequent this place consistently recommended The Complete Sailor, by David Seidman. Get it.

Last edited by carl762; 05-03-2011 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-03-2011

pistonbully is on a distinguished road
"then recreationally, until things got so darned expensive and crowded. Got bored with waiting in line for 20 minutes, 5-10 minute ride to the top, then 2.5 minutes to the bottom" Exactly!!

Thanks for all the book suggestions.. I will be starting a list tonight and start looking into them.. Some I will do PDFs of.

Yeah I would love to leave right now. But it's just not possible. In this day and age one needs to have plenty to fall back on..

I want to have some loot in the bank before I go anywhere. I doubt the economy will have bounced back so much by this time next year that I can't find what I'm looking for..

I too look forward to inward waterway sailing seasons too. i think that's when I will get the most work.. Then head off somewhere really really far away for awhile >.<
Old 05-03-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
@pistonbully From your posts I read in here, NOW is the time to do what you are wanting to do. Don't wait because one day you might have a wife and kids that just won't be able to go with you. Later on you may also end up with something else anchoring you from your dreams. You are free now, do it now. Get more detail and move forward with it, make the dream a reality now while you can. Hint: You are on the right track, use the internet! "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams."

"The sound of the sea, is becoming very familiar to me."
Old 05-04-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Do it Do it Pistonbully ! ....Im in your dust trail lol
Old 05-04-2011

CaptFoolhardy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I know that if I went nutts I could blow another 10k on a 5k boat if I wanted to. But the thing is,, I don't want to. So I will likely do what I have to and move on to the next thing.. but I do plan things like taking spare parts probly including a engine gasket rebuild kit if needed..
If you're spending 5k on a 28'-30' sailboat I'd say you could easily spend another 10k WITHOUT going nuts just to make her seaworthy. It depends on the boat. I say this because in general people who own nice boats don't sell them for cheap unless they need a bunch of work, and when they do they don't usually let on as to how much work is needed. That's what surveyors are for. I'm not saying it can't happen, it's just unlikely. I'm not trying to discourage you, on the contrary, I whole heartedly encourage you to go ahead with your plan. I'm just trying to help you ground your dream in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDiver View Post
While you're developing your knowledge, MOVE! Get your butt out to the coast and get a job. By the time you get out there and settled in (rent an apartment) you should have started to develop a really good knowledge base and you can start boat shopping again. By the time you actually get in a position to buy your boat and move aboard, everything you've discussed or "decided on" in this thread is likely to be changed, because you will have studied, researched and learned. Plus, you'll have the knowledge to make your boat search more productive.
I agree with Joe here. In order to find a boat that fits your budget and your needs and doesn't need a ton of work you're going to have to look at a LOT of boats, and by 'look' I don't mean look at ads on Craigslist; find them that way but then go look at them. You're not going to be able to look at very many boats living in a Colorado ski town. I would suggest the Chesapeake area or somewhere in South Florida for the highest density of boats for sale within a few hours drive.

Get Don Casey's Inspecting the Aging Sailboat. It will help you figure out how much work a boat is going to need.

Two more Internet resources for finding boats for sale:
Yachtworld
Sailboat Listings
and of course there's always e-bay.

Oh, and one other thing you wrote in an earlier post:
Quote:
Also as i understand it, their are all kinds of fresh water wells on a lot of the islands.. i just gotta find them..
...and then you gotta pay the guy whose well that is for the privilege of filling up your tanks.

-Bob
Old 05-04-2011

chris_gee is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The fact is, i'm no longer happy doing what I'm doing where i'm doing it and i need to make a change in my life. I need more in my life. I feel like I need to live, becasue I feel like I haven't been living in a long time.

I can also say this.. I grew up a poor white boy in a small no name town in oregon. I never had money and many would say i never had a chance..

But I had a dream, I wanted to send myself off to live in one of the best ski resorts in america amongst the richest people in the world.. well Aspen was to far so I am here in wonderful Vail Co. And I have been for 15 years.. So I hope that shows my determination. every one said I'd be back in a month... I've never looked back.

Maybe I go to sea for a year and travel. learn something about my self and grow as a person. After that I can always find some sort of work to see myself by. i've never had a hard time finding a job when I start looking. Granted, i've never had to look for a job in the current state of our country.
Look you feel you need a change and some more in your life. After 15 years work you plan on saving 15k at 100 pw. Maybe you have some of this already. You want a 5k boat say 26' and plan to do the caribbean and later Europe. You would also like a good woman to accompany you though think that might be difficult to acquire. True. Not many women would want to live on a 26' boat with a novice and survive on lentils and the hopes of catching a fish.
Considering your start in life you could have done worse. However with all due respect you started maybe a bit behind the field. That's okay a lot do and do well. I can think of several Prime Ministers in this country.
I suggest you think for a time about how life or specifically your ideas might have been different with a supportive environment which encouraged you in education, vocational training and loving relationships.
Then imagine being 70 odd and looking back. What things in your life would you value and be happy with.
My reason for suggesting this is to help clarify your longterm goals.
The temptation is when you are cold and dissatisfied to go for a quick radical fix. Warmth tropical islands, fish, hula girls. The reality on a small boat may be very different. Overwhelming heat, cramped uncomfortable quarters, lack of money and therefore no hula girls.
At the end you have some memories, and maybe a few thousand. Few people can afford a year or two out at age 30 or so, less so without a trade to fall back on particularly in an ongoing recession or general drop in living standards.
My advice would be to become a plumber. No chinese competition and when you need one, you need one and will pay. Take some time out if you wish or learn to sail as crew on someone else's boat, once you have learned enough skills to be able to be of any use ie stand watch. There are plenty of better off people who need some crew.
Build up some capital and invest in your own skills. Don't dissipate what liitle you may have some time in the future on a depreciating and expensive "asset."
You may in the future decide that your greatest satisfaction came from providing a family with what you did not have. Maybe, maybe not, your choice. I am just trying to prompt a wider and longer perspective than the I want it now one.
Old 05-04-2011

pistonbully is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the words of wisdom Chris, and I feel you on all these wonderful points..

But the fact still remains that i'm not happy.. And I see something that can make me happy. I see a lot of contradiction going on in these latest posts. And I understand the different views..

But this is how I see it..

In this life I was given nothing, A mom that hated being a mom and wanted nothing to do with me there for leaving me to defend for myself and a father who didn't show up till I was 16 and then was taken from me at 18.. My entire family except my little sister is completely useless to me and has no part of my life..

IN that,, I have always done the very best for myself and never let myself down.I have always been a dreamer and I have always seen these dreams through.. Case in point two years ago I decided I wanted to build my own chopper. I have always loved motorcycles but I never new jack about working on them I had never even removed a wheel let alone changed the tire... And yet two years later I have this (Built from a completely stock 1981 kawasaki motorcycle) Darn thing hadn't even ran in 25 years!!
Photobucket

So Have no doubt I will see this dream through to fruition and I will succeed. For the one belief that I hold fast to is that no one in my life is so close that I can't be far away. The one person who may be being my sister can come visit when ever she likes.

I believe that it is my mission in my life to propel my self as far forward as I possible can and to reach the very limits of my own abilities.. Until I have done this there will be no family for me,, no kids no wife and no one getting close enough to say "You can't" because asa soon as they say that ,,,, I'm Gone.....

as for going right now and looking at boats and getting started right now? Nah,,, it just doesn't compute. Go out to the east coast with very little savings and very little knowledge? I believe then I might just have a failure on my hands..

Yes, it may be hard to save say 10k in one year.. But I have No debt, no kids, no anything to side track my savings except for me.. I have to know what I want and thy bidding shall be done!