SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

I just want to sail away..

18K views 95 replies 34 participants last post by  pistonbully 
#1 ·
For awhile....

Tell me guys, I know this isn't exactly an original idea that I am having here. But I would like to know the reality of it.

Here I am a "Land Lubber", Been on a power boat a lot and even out on the peuget sound a few times in a big boat for fishing. But NEVER a S.V.

What i want to do:

Learn to sail, I live in Colorado and I plan to take the A.S.A Basic keel Boat course and Coastal cruising course to get my liscence and be able to sail up to a 30' on my own. There is a school in denver that offers the two courses at a really good price.

Next,, Sve a Ton of $$ over the next 2 years.. i'm thinking 15k at min..

Next buy a Sail boat 25 to 28 feet somewhere on the east coast or in the gulf for $5000 or less.. (I have found A LOT of good deals in this price range). Hopefully it will be fully outfitted at this price as many I hav found are.

I figure my first trip acrossed the gulf stream I will be fully loaded with enough food to see me through 3 months so i'm not waisting money in the islands,, then top off again on the way back through to the keys..

Next,, Sail away! I am looking at 1-2 years depending on how it all goes. I figure with 10k in the bank I can live pretty good as a ocean hobo for awhile. I want to explore the caribian, and Florida keys. If I get really really good at sailing I will venture to Cazumel and maybe even Jamaica before making my way back to Florida or other mainland area to work again for a year before hopefully heading for europe for a year or two..

How can I do this? I have no wife, no kids, No debt and a good job that pays well enough that I can put away desent amounts each month. Atleast $400 a month right now..

I am also in the mean time looking for that perfect girl to travel with me, but i'm not getting my hopes up on that one..

So, what do you think? Am I missing anything obvious? Does it sound like i'm covering my bases pretty well? I do understand that A boat is nothing more than a hole in the water that can only be filled with money.... But I am hoping I choose well and get a decent one that doesn't need much more than some elbow grease and TLC...

Any suggestions? Also, where are some hot spots for novice hobo boaters in the caribian that might want to just hang out on there boat and not really be bothered? I've heard Conception island is Great for this. But so far, i've just been reading and google earthing seeing if I see anything I like from afar.

Thanks, guys.

Sincerely
Guy not trying to dround...

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh, List of skills,,

To improve your faith in my abilities to captain a boat, I can,,

operate a Snowcat (I groomed for 8 years at beaver creek ski resort).
I can Drive a semi truck with a plow on snowy mountain roads. ( Did that for 2 years,

I can ride any motorcycle I get my hands on and i'm a pretty darn good driver with a clean record.

Think I can captain a small S.V??

I think what scares me the most is getting caught out in a storm and dying because I was to dumb to give myself the right orders!!

#8 ·
I can ride any motorcycle I get my hands on and i'm a pretty darn good driver with a clean record.

Think I can captain a small S.V??

I think what scares me the most is getting caught out in a storm and dying because I was to dumb to give myself the right orders!!
Frankly, riding motorcycle in across the country is much more dangerous than sailing across the Pond. At least sailing you can control how safe you want to be. Riding a bike, you life depends on the drivers around you. :)

#3 ·
Learn to sail, I live in Colorado and I plan to take the A.S.A Basic keel Boat course and Coastal cruising course to get my liscence and be able to sail up to a 30' on my own. There is a school in denver that offers the two courses at a really good price.
One point to consider is that you don't really need a "license" to sail non-commercially. Particularly to sail your own boat. And certainly not a license by boat size. I think most states require you to take some sort of boater safety course, but that's pretty trivial compared to ASA 101. The ASA or USSailing certificate series can look good on a sailing resume for chartering, but it isn't even required for that. (Outside of certain parts of Europe that want an International Competency Certificate)

That's not to say you shouldn't take the course; the ASA class is a good start.

#4 ·
Ya might not like sailing as its a bit of work to keep a boat moving 24/7 on the trips you cant do in a day

So i would look into a bit more before taking the full plunge

If tends to cost money to enter a lot of your dream places and various states will want a piece of the pie if you stay over time X

The further you go away from the coast the more important safety equipment becomes and its not cheep

#5 · (Edited)
Two books to get

Cost Conscious Cruiser by the Pardeys

Shrimpy by Shane Acton

Two different approaches to sailing on a small budget and more importantly both written by people who 'Walked the walk'.

As to costing you money to enter other than the Bahamas [$150 if <35feet]the entry taxes and crusing permits in the Caribbean are reasonable with the French Islands leading the way with ZERO cost to enter and cruise. [ Mind you in St Barts it is an arm and a leg to anchor!]

#6 ·
I don't mind the work.. aside from it giving me something to do to keep my mind off the fact i'm in the ocean. It's good exercise.Plus, I don't plan to be underway all the time. I will likely find a nice secluded cove and chill for a few weeks. hen move on to the next.

I plan to take the courses 101 & 103 mainly because I believe in training and learning as much as I can before taking on a new task.

I understand that many areas require entry fees and docking fees. As for entry I will budget for those as I can. As for docking, it's a last resort I plan to almost always anchor out, and dinghy in.

Before even casting off the plan is to top the boat off with enough food and maybe enough water for three months. I figure that's about 6 or 7 hundred $$ And that's being generous. that plus extra fueling in the bahamas and maybe a few visits ashore should be around 1K..

This means if I can go every 3 months for a thousand dollars it would cost me 4k just to feed and fuel myself at seas. I would make sure I have a few thousand in the bank otherwise for any unforeseen repairs..

Maybe i'm missing something but I think that part is all pretty doable.

I think the hard parts will be Learning to sail, Saving the money, picking a good boat and dealing with the riggers of being at sea on a daily basis.

#7 ·
Hey, no reason not to go ahead.
I,ve had the boat for 6 years and need to get her to the Med some time soon.
Still its fun learning and I,m ready when the gold watch starts ticking.
Hope it works out.
Safe sailing

#9 ·
Piston,

Based on your sailing experience level you might want to
crew on a boat going to the areas you mentioned,
sort of a "trial run". It may be possible that being
confined to small quarters and basically camping on
a boat may not turn out to be what you thought it
would be?

Dabnis

#10 ·
Piston,

A friend of mine mentioned that there was as 21 foot sail boat for sale, just up the street. 21 feet! That was enormous! Imagine owning a 21 foot boat! My, my!

So, a few years later I actually DID get into sailing and bought a 25 footer. It's amazing how small 25 feet is. Aim for 30. You can pick up a decent condition Catalina 30 for about 15K. Good boats.

#11 ·
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that your cost estimates seem too low. I'm not in a position to correct you as I've never done what you plan to do. However, I have looked at boat prices and I have never seen a boat that meets your purpose and that you could buy in sail away condition ("drive off the lot") for $5,000. For a 28-30' boat, I imagine you are over your total budget just to get the boat in a seaworthy (and 2-year-live-aboard worthy) condition.

Here is a blog where a person has just completed a similar goal ( The Bahamas - Costs ) and posted the costs. I encourage you to read the whole blog... and for what it's worth, I saw that boat is presently for sale. Also, keep in mind this is a small 26' which is much less in size & cost than a 30'.

I encourage you to set and reach your goals so this is not meant to discourage you but to make sure you aren't foiled by incorrect estimates.

#12 · (Edited)
DO IT!! I recently divorced, my house is paid for and I decided to jump in and go for it. I am renting my house out and bought a 36` Morgan O/I. I`m bobing around the shipyard right now on the hard, but they are letting me live aboard while I make my own repairs. I`m just like every other dreamer except I finally decided to do it. I dont miss my 2000 square foot house ever...so far. I`m like a little kid in the boat, I go to sleep every night with a sh*t eating grin on my face. Best move I ever made and I`m not even under way yet. :D

#13 ·
You can find the deal you are looking for in New Orleans. Some of the katrina boats are still around and can be had cheap! Of course buyer beware have it checked by a surveyor to get a realistic repair estamate. This boat is 20 feet away from me and looks decent in person. I tried to post a link but i dont have a high enough post count. look at craigs list in New Orleans for a `37 Hunter.

#14 ·
Ok, So I have been all over Craigs list for the last two weeks.. I have found more boats for 5k than I can shake a stick at.And plenty of them are in very nice shape. I'm not even looking into anything newer than the 70's a few are 1980's boats I am pretty set on 28' or less.

Yeah, I know some need a lot of work,,,, but some need next to nothing and just have owners that are ready to move on to something else..

I'm not looking for the hottest s.v on the market. I'm just trying to get around.. and there are plenty of boats that I feel will do just that.. There for. I feel like i'm pretty right on course with budget..

As for New orleans,,, Yeah I've looked around there but the idea of buying a boat out of that region just scares me ... I've been looking from Texas to Maryland and It's pretty much a matter of taking my pick and pulling the trigger on it.

#18 ·
Ok, So I have been all over Craigs list for the last two weeks.. I have found more boats for 5k than I can shake a stick at.And plenty of them are in very nice shape. <snip>

Yeah, I know some need a lot of work,,,, but some need next to nothing and just have owners that are ready to move on to something else..
I wish I could find a $5k ocean going, 28-30' boat that needs next to nothing in terms of cost to make her seaworthy. I'm serious. If you find some, please post the links here as I'm interested. If it isn't in need of costly work, it wouldn't be selling inexpensively.

#15 ·
Logistics. 3 months water? And food? On a sub 30 footer? You any good at living on a gallon a day? Achievable? Yes. Easy? Not so much. Consider options. Water maker. Expensive. More port calls. Possibly costly. A cruiser with big tankage. A bonus if you pick the right one, but maybe not the least costly choice. You will want fresh food more than you might imagine once you're between somewhere and nowhere and pounding down another can of something, or reconstituted freeze-dried stuff (needs water). You're gonna wanna pull in somewhere.
Agreed, your financial targets are low. In this economic climate, you may get a great deal, but when figured with more honest methods, inflation is already around 10%, and likely to go higher, so your supplies will cost more. Definitely plan on more money.

#16 ·
I feel you on that Seabreeze.. i too have thought that the water may be a problem.. But As you said i hope to find a boat with a big water tank.. Also as i understand it, their are all kinds of fresh water wells on a lot of the islands.. i just gotta find them..

As for food. You are right again, everyonce in awhile i'm going to just want to go ashore and let some one make me a wonderful dinner and i'm sure from time to time I will. But I also see myself eating a lot of fresh caught fish.

I.D.K who knows maybe by the time I get ready to leave food will be so inflated that nobody can afford to eat!!

the lagistics really are a problem. But i think I can get passed them. Besides I honestly think that if I gotta look at more than 20k in savings/budget then I just can't do it,, after all i'm not rich. But i do think that some people are getting the impression that I plan to go out there and be the normal cash weilding tourist.. this is not the case.. I plan to be as frugal as I possibly can.. Plus, I do plan on looking for work when I can find it ( Even if I still have money in the bank) i'm not one to be un prepaired.

#17 ·
The fact is, i'm no longer happy doing what I'm doing where i'm doing it and i need to make a change in my life. I need more in my life. I feel like I need to live, becasue I feel like I haven't been living in a long time.

I can also say this.. I grew up a poor white boy in a small no name town in oregon. I never had money and many would say i never had a chance..

But I had a dream, I wanted to send myself off to live in one of the best ski resorts in america amongst the richest people in the world.. well Aspen was to far so I am here in wonderful Vail Co. And I have been for 15 years.. So I hope that shows my determination. every one said I'd be back in a month... I've never looked back.

Maybe I go to sea for a year and travel. learn something about my self and grow as a person. After that I can always find some sort of work to see myself by. i've never had a hard time finding a job when I start looking. Granted, i've never had to look for a job in the current state of our country.

#78 ·
The fact is, i'm no longer happy doing what I'm doing where i'm doing it and i need to make a change in my life. I need more in my life. I feel like I need to live, becasue I feel like I haven't been living in a long time.

I can also say this.. I grew up a poor white boy in a small no name town in oregon. I never had money and many would say i never had a chance..

But I had a dream, I wanted to send myself off to live in one of the best ski resorts in america amongst the richest people in the world.. well Aspen was to far so I am here in wonderful Vail Co. And I have been for 15 years.. So I hope that shows my determination. every one said I'd be back in a month... I've never looked back.

Maybe I go to sea for a year and travel. learn something about my self and grow as a person. After that I can always find some sort of work to see myself by. i've never had a hard time finding a job when I start looking. Granted, i've never had to look for a job in the current state of our country.
Look you feel you need a change and some more in your life. After 15 years work you plan on saving 15k at 100 pw. Maybe you have some of this already. You want a 5k boat say 26' and plan to do the caribbean and later Europe. You would also like a good woman to accompany you though think that might be difficult to acquire. True. Not many women would want to live on a 26' boat with a novice and survive on lentils and the hopes of catching a fish.
Considering your start in life you could have done worse. However with all due respect you started maybe a bit behind the field. That's okay a lot do and do well. I can think of several Prime Ministers in this country.
I suggest you think for a time about how life or specifically your ideas might have been different with a supportive environment which encouraged you in education, vocational training and loving relationships.
Then imagine being 70 odd and looking back. What things in your life would you value and be happy with.
My reason for suggesting this is to help clarify your longterm goals.
The temptation is when you are cold and dissatisfied to go for a quick radical fix. Warmth tropical islands, fish, hula girls. The reality on a small boat may be very different. Overwhelming heat, cramped uncomfortable quarters, lack of money and therefore no hula girls.
At the end you have some memories, and maybe a few thousand. Few people can afford a year or two out at age 30 or so, less so without a trade to fall back on particularly in an ongoing recession or general drop in living standards.
My advice would be to become a plumber. No chinese competition and when you need one, you need one and will pay. Take some time out if you wish or learn to sail as crew on someone else's boat, once you have learned enough skills to be able to be of any use ie stand watch. There are plenty of better off people who need some crew.
Build up some capital and invest in your own skills. Don't dissipate what liitle you may have some time in the future on a depreciating and expensive "asset."
You may in the future decide that your greatest satisfaction came from providing a family with what you did not have. Maybe, maybe not, your choice. I am just trying to prompt a wider and longer perspective than the I want it now one.

#20 ·
Well, you said you wanted a boat that was "fully outfitted" at $5,000. I don't think any of the above could be purchased and made ready - fully outfitted - for $5k. Those are the type of boats to which I thought you might be referring; These boats will take more than just effort to be ready for a 1-2 year voyage.

At any rate, my original post was not meant to argue purchase prices but to get you to think about the real costs of owning the boat over that time period. Speak to a boat broker and ask what would need to be done to those boats to make them ready and then add up the costs. Sails? Engine? Standing rigging? Running rigging? Electronics? What about structural work... rotten deck core, ugh, that was the killer in my search edging out engine replacement.

#23 ·
You are right, none of those boats are fully outfitted and ready to go but I can say they are a good start.Plus I just quickly pulled a few examples off craigs list. I know that the cost over time will prble be greater than the boat it's self.. But i suppose that just depends how much work yo want to put into it. plus, i refuse to believe that every single boat out there at this price range is going to be a P.O.S. I believe a lot of people are just broke and need the money. When I do buy a boat you can bet I will research the heck out of them and find the best one for me.

I know you were not trying to be arguementative, And I didn't mean to sound defensive. it jsut seems that alot of folks on and off line seem to think that I'm trying to buy a showboat or something.. I'm not.

And with what I've been hearing from everyone about my busget and my plan my two year is looking more like 1 year....

#21 ·
You have the right attitude. Just keep your options open and expect contingencies to come up short. Suppose your fresh water gets contaminated and there's no island nearby. Did you have some water in a separate tank, maybe filled from the rain a couple days earlier? Do you have a small water maker for crunch times? Sometimes the fish aren't biting, other times, all you catch are reef fish that are possibly carrying ciguatera, and you can't eat them. Not trying to shoot you down. Just saying plan on it all costing more. The higher initial outlay can come in handy as you have more built-in options as opposed to being at the mercy of the moment when not prepared. An example of this thinking is when Katrina hit. Never had flooding, but we got water then. I had two boxes of small batteries in different locations. One got wet, one stayed dry. All my flashlights were fluorescent or LED, so one box was plenty. My generator took a bath, but the 12v batteries were up high. The inverter sufficed til I got the gennie dried out. Needed to recharge the batteries, car was washed out, but my truck was elsewhere and served as a short term gennie. People were sitting all day in line for a max limit of 7 gallons of gas, I had 50 gallons in reserve, then after a week, drove right past the all-day lines, went 30 miles down the road and waited a whole 15 minutes for another 50 gallons. The lessons? Prepare as best you can. Have overlapping contingencies whenever possible. Don't sit in line like everyone else. Work the problem and think. You'll be OK.

#22 ·
The best boat you listed for your purposes, the Alberg 30 has this as its ad:
"Lost slip, must sell by mid-April, $5k or best offer. Alberg 30. 1968. Good condition. 7 sails. Hauled in 2009, bottom painted."

What about the engine and the condition of the sails, standing and running rigging? Soft decks? It will at least need a new bottom paint job.

Good luck and welcome PistonBully.

#24 ·
OK, So I've gotta admit.. Some of your replies have left me a little discouraged.. I know part of it is because I am hearing all the things that I prbly don;t want to hear.. But hey " I asked you right"...

Anyway, thank you for your honesty guys. reality checks are needed for dreamers..

So What about a revised plan? Say I save 10 to 15k.... Prbly more like 10k if I decided to do it summer 2012.. Anyway, What if I saved this money and made my 5k boat purchase and headed off to the east coast to find part time work and do some part time cruising? Is this more of a reality? Work and sail?

the fact is i don't have any debt so If I'm living on the boat and sailing on the weekends I will not only gain much needed practice before taming larger seas but I can make more money working somewhere... I hate to settle like this but sometimes you just have to accept the reality laid out before you..

I don;t mind moving my life from Colorado to the east coast. As long as I have my boat to live on and a cheap slip I should do fine..

I noticed in one of the threads that somone said they are kind of hurting for educated/trained workers in the keys and Virgin islands? god, i would love to go to the Virgin islands for a year,, Work a little cruise a little...

I don't know guys i'm just trying to be real about this. I'm not happy here anymore. I know i'm a jerk because I live at the base of a world class ski resort and i'm sick of it,, but hey what can I say i'm not easy to please.I need something more in my life and this really sounds appealing to me..

When I think of what else I could be doing it all sounds so boring to me.. last thing i want to do is go backword and move back home..

#25 ·
Don't be discouraged. A touch of level-headedness helps bring those dreams to reality - otherwise, they are just dreams. You need to look at this with good judgement; financials, seamanship, practicality etc. and then plan accordingly.

There are various ways to achieve your dreams. I understand you aren't wanting to live in luxury and I didn't suggest how much money you'd need to spend to reach the minimum - others here are more qualified to do that than myself. And it is technically possible to do it on a little budget. This documentary has been posted several times ( Hold Fast - Travel Movies on Vimeo ) and shows what you can do with nothing. THEY did it. I wouldn't recommend that you follow in their footsteps; there is just so much in that video that I would consider unsafe. However, they weren't discouraged by cost.

There are many people that dream about just sailing away. With no debt and a portable skillset, your chances of doing that are much higher than the regular joe.

My advice would be to save even harder than you are doing now. Live as cheaply as you can and put more money into the boat; A safer, more comfortable small boat will be better than a cheap boat any day. You might "save longer" as well, spend more time learning to sale while you save - Feed your craving can stave off that need to leave and will better prepare you for your own boat. Start by sailing on other boats so that you know what you like and don't like before you buy; Buying the wrong boat with the wrong gear is an expensive lesson.

#26 ·
On your budget there are things you need to do without. Forget about the people who advise you to have a watermaker, make sure you have an awing that doubles as a rain catcher.

Don't skimp on basic repair tools you need a drill screws epoxy resin sail tape and sail thread plus a needle and palm. A simple sewing machine [Think cast iron Singer copy ] willl be a good investment and is one of the things that can earn you money from fellow cruisers. I am paying someone to restitch my dodger just now.

An 8 inch scraper mounted on a pole will let you scrape your bottom in an hour or less saving on haulouts and anti fouling.

Learn to love rice and beans. Lentils are your friend.

30 footer here advertised for $4.9k Pearson Wanderer sailboat 30'

She looks like she might do.

The Pardy's mantra is "go small, go simple, go now" .

It has gotten many off the docks and into the adventure.

If you only make it to the Bahamas for a year it will be a good year!

#27 ·
How about getting the boat, and living on her while you continue to work. Get to know the boat, and get her ready. I went with a handheld gps, and nothing else the first time. Tons of reading from others experiences, and soon you will be able to go. I have been there, and done it. Your plan is very doable. How many here who have given advice have actually sailed away? BEST WISHES in sailing over the horizon........i2f

#28 ·
Your revised plan sounds pretty good to me - living aboard while learning the boat, improving the systems, some time working and some sailing ... Although we had a little more budget to start (there were two of us, after all) that's exactly what we did and it worked fantastically well for us. By the time we left for the Bahamas we'd upgraded/reworked every boat system, knew the boat inside out & how she sailed, had a very wonderful 9-month cruise. Currently relaxing back in the Chesapeake and planning to head out again this autumn. You CAN do this too! Looking forward to seeing you on the water.

#29 ·
As a Scuba Instructor, I can't tell you how many starry eyed folks come into the shop with "The Dream"....hate the office, life sux, want to become an Instructor, move to the Caribbean and live life barefoot in the sand. The reality of it and the possibility of it actually happening results in disappointment 99% of the time.

This though, has a much higher possibility of success. If I were you, the first thing to do is move. Can't make this happen where you are. Pick a place out on the coast where you can get a good job and slip rentals are cheap. Good luck with that, finding a cheap marina is gonna be tough, but they are there.

Once there and working, find your boat, in your budget, and move in. Spend the next year or two living on the boat, fixing her up, sailing her and getting to know her. At the same time, learn as much as you possibly can from multiple sources about the cruising life, what it takes and how to do it.

Maybe...in a couple years....you'll be leaving your marina behind as you sail away on an adventure you'll never forget!

#30 ·
I share your dream. Just make sure you temper it with reality!
No disrespect meant, but if you're that new to sailing (as am I) how do you KNOW you're getting a "good deal" on a $5000 sailboat?

Another comment that peaked my eyebrow was the "ton of money" and then "15k". Purchase, maintenance, emergency fund, provisions, docking fees....I would't consider 15k a "ton of money", when spread out over such a period of time.

If you can pull it off, sounds like fun. Just caveat emptor when looking for a bargain boat to sail blue waters in! Check out some of the other threads here about those who encountered gales.....new rigging, sails, etc can set you back 5k easily.

#31 ·
dnf777 said it very well.

For more information about costs, I just came across this link: Costs Of Buying And Cruising On A Boat
You can take from the links what you may and use it to provide even more accurate numbers for your plan.

This thread is running in parallel with yours, http://www.sailnet.com/forums/theres-place/71466-cruising.html , and although his budget is not in the same league as yours, the ideas are the same. There are claims of $1000+/- per month for a cruising couple and others claim $1,000-$1,200 (excluding a tonne of costs that must be accounted for.) It'd be nice to say those could be cut in half since you're single, but that's generally not the case (i.e. dockage isn't halved because you're solo instead of a couple)

p.s. imagine2frolic, your implication that our advice is not valid because we have not left everything to sail-away on a shoestring is not logical or rational. I have also never jumped off a tall building or played in traffic but my advice to not do so is still valid. Many of us that have not sailed away, have purchased boats and know the costs of cruising. I'm surprised that you were able to leave everything and sail away for 2 years on a $15k budget - please share your secrets, 'cause I want to go too!

#44 ·
dnf777 said it very well.

For more information about costs, I just came across this link: Costs Of Buying And Cruising On A Boat
You can take from the links what you may and use it to provide even more accurate numbers for your plan.

This thread is running in parallel with yours, http://www.sailnet.com/forums/theres-place/71466-cruising.html , and although his budget is not in the same league as yours, the ideas are the same. There are claims of $1000+/- per month for a cruising couple and others claim $1,000-$1,200 (excluding a tonne of costs that must be accounted for.) It'd be nice to say those could be cut in half since you're single, but that's generally not the case (i.e. dockage isn't halved because you're solo instead of a couple)

p.s. imagine2frolic, your implication that our advice is not valid because we have not left everything to sail-away on a shoestring is not logical or rational. I have also never jumped off a tall building or played in traffic but my advice to not do so is still valid. Many of us that have not sailed away, have purchased boats and know the costs of cruising. I'm surprised that you were able to leave everything and sail away for 2 years on a $15k budget - please share your secrets, 'cause I want to go too![/QUOTE]

You have confused 2 different people as 1. If a person wants to be a minimilist then they can just go. Joe the cobbler is a perfect example. I went a notch above him. Some people think you need every last gadget, and a ton of money in the bank. Even a worn boat will get you across the Gulf Stream with caution. When you get out there cruising you will see people out there doing just what the O.P. suggest he is thinking.:eek: .........i2f

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.