SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Maiden Voyage with 10-Month-Old Son... a Sucess! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/74079-maiden-voyage-10-month-old-son-sucess.html)

NickPapagiorgio 05-02-2011 08:35 AM

Maiden Voyage with 10-Month-Old Son... a Sucess!

Hello everyone,

Proud to announce that my son's first sailing experience was a success... We only went out for about an hour but he was fine the whole time.

We headed down to Harve De Grace, MD this past weekend for an open house at Baysail, which is a small charter company in the Northern Chesapeake Bay. We're scheduled to charter a Catalina 350 out of Baysail later this summer in July so we wanted to pick him up an infant PFD. While we were there, we hopped on Catalina 36 and were able to do a bit of sailing.

My son definitely hated his PFD when we first put it on him, but he eventually seemed to settle into it. He'll be a bit bigger in July, which I think will help make it a bit more comfortable for him. Also, we plan on spending some time with him in a swimming pool this summer to get him used to it. I'm glad we went in person and didn't just order one online becuase we tried about three different ones on him before deciding on the one we bought.

I'll post a picture when I get home later...

Kevin

Edit: Here's the pictures:

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/attach..._6206529_o.jpg

WanderingStar 05-02-2011 08:36 AM

Excellent!

boomvangdc 05-02-2011 10:56 AM

Where was he while on board? Sitting with you in the cockpit or did you have him restrained in any way?

Boasun 05-02-2011 11:00 AM

Can he grind the winches yet? Get your Coffee for you? Or just goo goo, giggle and laugh while on board your boat?

Hey there is a baby on that boat over there.
How can you tell
Because they are flying a freshly rinsed Nappy from the flag hoist... :D :D :D

NickPapagiorgio 05-02-2011 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomvangdc (Post 726003)
Where was he while on board? Sitting with you in the cockpit or did you have him restrained in any way?

He was actually sitting on my wife's lap... we were hoping he'd fall asleep but never did until the last 5-10 minutes of the trip.

NickPapagiorgio 05-02-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boasun (Post 726009)
Can he grind the winches yet? Get your Coffee for you? Or just goo goo, giggle and laugh while on board your boat?

Hey there is a baby on that boat over there.
How can you tell
Because they are flying a freshly rinsed Nappy from the flag hoist... :D :D :D

LOL, he wasnt grinding any witches but I did try to give him the helm at one point. Maybe next time.

johnnyandjebus 05-02-2011 06:48 PM

Nick

Congrats on a great day. IMHO the more sea air you get into his little lungs the better. But be forewarned, it may lead to a strong, un-explained desire later in life to avoid any type of desk job.
Not that that is a bad thing :)

John

Faster 05-02-2011 07:41 PM

Good on you both for taking him out. He'll grow up sailing and it will seem/be 'normal' for him. It's actually easier now than when he's a toddler but you have time to think that through.

We had our granddaughter out overnight this past weekend, she's a natural and we had a great time (she's 3 1/2 now, but her parents had her sailing at 1 week old in December!)

smackdaddy 05-02-2011 08:10 PM

Very cool Nick. Congrats!

We've had our boys sailing with us for the past 3 years...starting when they were 4 and 8. It's the best thing ever when they ask to go out.

HDChopper 05-02-2011 10:35 PM

You are indeed a lucky man Nick all the best in you & yours in future.

"My son definitely hated his PFD when we first put it on him"
lol a he man in the makeing !
Looking foward to the pictures....