Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Shakedown cruise-and we made it back!

My dad passed away last year and left me his boat that had yet been named. A year's worth of legal BS, family BS (you know how estate stuff usually goes ) and collecting missing parts, catching up on maintenance, and figuring out rigging, I finally got her out and under sail. The weather predictors were all over the place as to when it would storm. I have a cold, had worked until 3am the night before so I was on 4 hours of sleep. I wasn't going to miss this day short of death.

It had been 15 years or so since I had been on any cruising type boat. I've purely been messing around with dinghy sailing. So, I brought a rather experienced friend, tuned the rig and off we went.
The webbing on the clew of the roller furling jib had deteriorated so when the jib caught the air, it ripped out. It's an '04 so I don't know what the hell that's about, but anyway. It gives me a chance to up the quality I guess. From the helm, all I saw was a frayed end of the sail and swore under my breath. From there it looked like the sail had ripped. Upon inspection, it's an easy fix. It's just the webbing that failed, letting the ring tear out and not the sail. The thread didn't fail at all either. So we were under main alone and had a nice relaxing sail. Under main alone, she points okay I guess. It's a powerful main so she was still moving in light air. That's nice to know.
The jib was the only thing that happened. Everything else performed well, the boat was well mannered. We had a nice departure and landing. A perfect day so it's not like anything was stressed.
I can't wait to get her under full sail and really let her stretch her legs. Previously she was in a lake which didn't allow her drop her centerboard all the way down so she's been sort of caged up all her life.

Anyway, three cheers for Miss Muffet! She was so well behaved I figure she must have liked the champagne from her naming ceremony. What will happen when the booze wears off, I wonder?
Attached Thumbnails
Shakedown cruise-and we made it back!-photo0396a.jpg  

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-02-2011

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Going out and enjoying the sail and making it back full of colorful sea tales.
That is the name of the game.
Congradulations on you first adventure on the water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Maritime Instructor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Rapture
Old 05-02-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Going out and enjoying the sail and making it back full of colorful sea tales.
That is the name of the game.
Congradulations on you first adventure on the water.

I've always known that if you don't come back with some sort of story then you were excess ballast.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 05-02-2011
Aeolus II

mccary is on a distinguished road
Hey, some pictures for memories and friends will make sailing a great pastime. I have plenty of friends who want a ride, so we alternate the wife and I with friends and family. We enjoy both the time to ourselves and the time with friends so we split it up. There is never any shortage of willing crew. Plan outings that will be sails that are positive and not agony. If the wind is predicted to be up too high don't be foolish, defer for a day or a weekend. You will have plenty of opportunity to sail in bad weather.
Old 05-02-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
I'd say this definitely rates as a BFS. Congrats on a fine day sub.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-02-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Sorry for your loss, Sub, but also happy for what you found. Welcome to the world of small cruisers.

Old 05-02-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Congrats Sublime ! glad you got her up and sailing , champagne last a long time on errr mmmm ......nuff said