SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Kayaks and zodiacs and Dinghys Oh my...

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rikhall 
#1 ·
hey guys,,

I've just been pondering the best idea for a small boat for a solo sail.. I was thinking a Kayak Would be cool becasue you could do a lot with it and get in and out of tight places with easy portages..

A small Zodiac would be cool for obvious reasons plus it'd be easy to stow on board in adverse weather.

Then the old stand by, A regular dinghy boat..

The only down fall I see with the Kayak is if I should happen to meet a nice young lady that I want to bring aboard from the shore that might be problem. Maybe a two seater kayak. that would aid with groceries too..

#2 · (Edited)
getting from a kayak onto the mothership can be problematic. Especially with groceries. It can be tough even from a good hard dinghy like ours. SWMBO took an unplanned swim twice while trying to board our wooden dinghy Chirp.
We now have a small inflatable which has more than met our expectations, and cost less than $750, including shipping.

#5 ·
So, and what's the problem with calling the Launch on 68 and telling them you are ready to go back to your yacht?

Just kidding, common, lighten up :)

We use an inflatable when we are doing the coast of Maine and a hard old dingy when at home - the hard old one never needs locking up - nobody would want it!

Cheers all

Rik

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.