Coal powered freighters and yachts should come back. - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Okay, this is the General Discussion forum and I guess anything goes. That said, does anyone else find it ironic that this thread is on a web site called Sail Net? I just had to ask.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2011
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsailer1 View Post
OMG, why can't these people just let it go! Don't come close to our Chesapeake Bay with your @#%A^*& coal fired boat, we're just getting the water cleaned up, don't need to start on the air. Calculate your environmental costs for using coal, from personal experience, I'd suggest you take a "road trip" to China and see coal immissions at it's finest. Gheezeeee....
TRUUUU Dat! sailings about not destroying the world as fast as possible.
Old 05-11-2011

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Just an FYI, that last remaining Coal Fired Ship on the Great Lakes that you reefer to in your OP is required to convert it's boilers by 2012, find another way to dump it's ash or it loose it's license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel View Post
I've researched some and the only coal fired boat that I know of is the Luddington Ferry which I have been on. It was pretty nice. The was a large pile of coal on the Wisconsin side like the kind you would see at a power plant.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 06-26-2011

John9999 is on a distinguished road
Coal Electric Power Plant YouTube

There are some great videos on YouTube of the workings of coal power plants.

I would think if you leave the coal in a coarse state in the bunker, then send it through a pulverizer near the boiler that you could cut down on coal dust. Coal power plant technology is well developed, safe, and could probably be easily adapted to shipping. Coal power plant emissions controls are also well developed.

The end of oil is nigh. It was a great, compact fuel, but it's days are numbered. Oil is already starting to become uneconomic as a fuel. Considering the time and capital it takes to build shipping fleets, it's probably time to start planning for the end of oil as a practical fuel.

I think we're already well into the end of the oil age. Oil production has probably peaked and I doubt we will ever see truly cheap oil again. There will probably be brief times when it is cheap due to temporary supply gluts, but I think it will be expensive far more often than it is cheap. Volatile fuel prices can kill a shipper.

The alternatives to fossil fuels are a return to sail power or nuclear. Both are not very practical on a commercial scale.
Old 06-26-2011

manhattan08 is on a distinguished road
As one of the largest buyers of coal in this country, I find this thread interesting.

As you would imagine, I am very pro coal (since I buy 20 million tons per year); however I am not going to step up on my soapbox....... at least not yet.