Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2011

smacdade is on a distinguished road
Best/Cheapest Marina near Downtown Jacksonville

Not exactly sure where to put this.. whish there was a Marina Thread... anyways was hoping some of the NE florida guys could help me navigate which marina is the best. I will probably be purchasing a 28 foot sailboat in the next month and I live/work downtown and want to have the boat close so I can use it as much as possible.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Steve
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I stayed at River City Brewery over one Thanksgiving. Wasn't great, but it was passable. It's across the river, but the shuttle is nearby.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-04-2011

THEBIGBUOY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacdade View Post
Not exactly sure where to put this.. whish there was a Marina Thread... anyways was hoping some of the NE florida guys could help me navigate which marina is the best. I will probably be purchasing a 28 foot sailboat in the next month and I live/work downtown and want to have the boat close so I can use it as much as possible.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Steve
Hi i would be greateful to receive any comments you hasve on marinas. Curently putting together a directory of worldwide ports and marinas which will allow marinas to advertise free and give the possibility for us to give feedback on these marinas
Old 05-04-2011

QuickMick is on a distinguished road
marinas.com is a pretty good directory... more of a page w/links to your choices. activecaptain.com is a good resource with comments by boaters...

Quinn McColly
Macgregor Venture
Old 05-04-2011
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Best and cheapest dont really go hand in hand. Also, are you looking for live-aboard type accommodations or hook ups?
Beach Marine off Beach Blvd is a very clean and safe live-aboard community that runs about 350$ per month for a 28' boat with power and water hook ups.
If you look on google for the Marina thats name I cannot recall at present located in ortega, zip code 32210, you will find another fine marina. This marina is really great because it has tremendous equipment available for use on your boat and there is a sail and canvas shop and a pier 17 and west marine all within 1/4 mile. I do not know the price on this marina however.
Fleming island marina is a little more south of JAX but still very close (only about 15-20 min south of the city). They charge 7$ foot. I have a friend that keeps his 34 hunter there and pays less than 400$ per month. The marina has an equipment facility with endless tools for you to rent as well as a community pool and bbq pit with picnic tables and covered pavilion. Good service there for haul outs and cleanings and such as well.
Julingington creek Marina is on the other side of the st. Johns and is the cheapest marina you will find most likely. Slips run about 100-150$ a month for 30footers. This Marina has a tiny on site sail shop and sits direct next to a very cool bar and restaurant that is constantly filled with saltys. Most boats in this marina are of the run down kind though and I have heard more than one instance of theft of property so make sure to keep valuables secure. Those are probably your best bets for around JAX so check them out and good luck.
Old 05-05-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
'good advice from Harborless above. I would add that, although River City Brewery Marina is very convenient to downtown, it is difficult to use your boat due to very strong currents. The Fleming Island Marina offers the most direct access to sailing and use of your boat for an afternoon sail. All the Ortega River marinas are closer to town and just one bridge and a short motoring distance to open sailing. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Old 05-05-2011

smacdade is on a distinguished road
Thank You

Hi Everyone,

Thank you guys for your opinions/input I really appreciate it. I wouldnt be living on it. It would strictly be there to sail as much as possible, about 3 times a week, and about two weekends out of the month.

Thanks again for your help,

Steve
Jax, Fl
Old 05-05-2011

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
If best price with sailing opportunity is the plan then forget the ICW marinas or downtown. The only good choices are Oreteg River and Fleming Island (9 miles apart). Fleming Island is the best price and the best access to immediate sailing and the Ortega River marinas have the better hurricane protection. If you are free to take a couple, three or four days off to protect your boat; then, Fleming Island is the place. If you want to have your boat storm protected without your attention, then take a slip in the Ortega River. Take care and joy, Aythya crew