Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
My last marina kicked me out while waiting for the boat to be brought back from the yard, I was paid in full for the month they said if my boat wasn't there I wasn't allowed to be there.
Do not go to the town marina way up the river in northeast Maryland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2011
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Tell them to put it in writting. If they don't, go somewhere else.
Or if they do, and still try to screw you, you don't pay, and sue them. If you haven't agreed on a written contract, then they can charge whatever they want, whenever they want. Personally, in your area, I haven't found a single marina who isn't run by someone's uncle's brother, or has been passed down and miss managed by the whole family that owns it.

What these marina's are lacking is professionalism. You won't get them to change by complaining here. Use a different marina. Vote w/ your wallet.
Old 05-05-2011

FlyNavy is on a distinguished road
Our marina charges a "relatively simple" fee structure. Covered slips are 24 feet deep and 12 feet wide and have three different prices depending on when you pay and if you pay in full or over the first six months of your lease. Electricity and water are included as are about enough parking spaces for 20% of the slips.
Sailboat slips are both 24 and 30 feet deep (each with different rates), 13 feet wide. There is an overage fee per foot too. Fees exceed the covered slip fees in all instances.
Oh yeah, there is also a $50/mo fee to keep a dinghy or Jet Ski in your slip no matter what.
Simple right?
Since there is only so much dock space available, they can get away with the crazyness.
Sailing year 'round
(Not up North)
Old 05-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I have a thousand marina horror stories. Asked one to change the impeller in my genset. Easy enough. When I got back, the face plate was missing one of the screws. When queried, they claimed it was not there when they took it off. Of course, this is absolutely not true. I had looked at it myself before I decided I didn't have the time to get the part and do it myself before the following weekend. Further, no one ever called when they did the work to say I needed a new one.

They don't have the right thread and length in stock, so they order it. It comes in during the following week and they go aboard and screw it in. Just to clarify the effort: they board the boat, climb down the companionway, pull a salon hatch open, reach in with their hand to place the screw and turn it a dozen times with a screw driver, close hatch and leave.

I get back to the boat and find a bill for 3 additional hours of labor to replace the screw!! Blindfolded, it would take 20 minutes. Not to mention, they lost it back when I paid them to change the impeller in the first place!!!!

It really is an incredibly incompetent industry. When you find someone good and reliable, be sure to give them enough work to stay in business or we just default to the second string.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-05-2011

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
I have spoken to many marina managers who quote prices as you describe. We don't keep our boat at any of those marinas.

Our marina charges $x for a 30' slip and $y for a 40' slip. Doesn't matter how big the boat is. Electicity is metered. There is a rate sheet in the office, and pretty much everything is covered. The pumput is $5, unless you're a sliphoder, in which case it's free - period. Liveaboards pay a fixed fee, and a liveaboard is defind ans anyone who meets x criteria. My point is, the marina is professionally run, with published price schedules, and lots of happy tenants.

Generally, it costs a little more to run an organized, professional business. Straight answers, a meaningful contract, and reliable facilities have a cost, which must be passed on to the customer. That doesn't mean that there is a correlation between cost and service, just that it is easier to find ambiguity at the lower end of the price spectrum.

Personal experience, YMMV.
Old 05-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
rayncyn51...... you will probably find the fountain of youth next. That is exactly how it should work, IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-05-2011
PR Sailor

velero is on a distinguished road
My former marina charged based on the area of the slip..... talk about trying to squeeze every penny from you>
Old 05-05-2011

Nudibranch is on a distinguished road
I even stayed in a marina that charged by the rough square footage of your boat, length X width. I'm transient in NC now, but my home marina in Louisiana charges the same price for all slips. ($300) They're all 50', behind locked gates and the power is in your name. No extra charges, even for liveaboards. If you skip a payment, your boat gets chained to the dock. Simple.
Old 05-05-2011

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post
In looking for a new marina... I can not understand why a marina owner can not simply answer the question. In my last stay, it really became a way for the dock master to charge what ever he wanted, as there was zero consistency between what I was told, the rate sheet I was given, the bills I received, the website rate page, etc, etc

I ask about slip fees and electric...and any more the answer is "it depends" or the latest, "generally speaking". With electricity, it is even more ambiguous...depends on if "I see water pumping which tells me that you are running AC/Heat full time" when in actuality it is my freezer that runs perhaps an hour a day. Or "a single 30amp is $20, unless you use electricity, then it is $30, except if I see water being pumped then it is $60 a month in the summer and $90 in the winter months", I ask what do you call the winter months, - answer "well, it depends"

Then I ask about bathrooms and showers. "most of the time" or "they are cleaned often". When I asked about pumpouts, was told "they are free for slip holders, except if you stay more than 15 days a month or 10 nights consecutively", then "the pumpout is either $5 or $10, unless you are a slipholder"

This was after a recent weekend of visiting, calling and checking on line in the lower Chesapeake. And don't even think about asking about "extended stay or short term" they just can't comprehend the calculation to determine that one.

My home dock with no water or electric is looking very appealing about now, at least I know what it will cost, monthly.
Did you check with Stingray Point? I paid one check for the year. Electricity was included (single 30A). Bathhouses were adequate, but nothing fancy. Pumpout was free but DIY. The pool is nice, never what I'd call crowded and you're free to use the grills to have nice dinner on the pool deck or screened porch. You also have access to the best sailing area on the Chesapeake with opportunity to sail in sheltered rivers when the bay is howling and dozens of fantastic, uncrowded anchorages within a few hours.

All this for about 1/2 of what I pay now. Posts like this really make me miss Deltaville.
Old 05-05-2011

nemier is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
rayncyn51...... you will probably find the fountain of youth next.
Minnewaska,
Every morning I get up and check my email and then surf SailNet for 1/2 hour, with a couple of cups of coffee. Your reply made me burst out laughing! A great way to start my day, Cheers!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.