Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011

herezjohnny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtboat View Post
Here on Flathead Lake Montana, the marinas are a little crazy.
I have been at anchor, here and there for three years because the marinas I checked either wanted $$$$ to become a member, on top of high slip fees, and cannot allow liveaboards, according to their permits of operation.
Well this year I spied a little marina I hadn't checked.....and ,
No join up fee, allows liveaboard, power to slip, clubhouse, shower facility for the total cost of $1150 per season (about 4 1/2 months)inc. power, for a 24 ft boat. Flat rates no mention of foot/cost.
Oh and it just happens to be floating docks inside a tight, enclosed jetty, so no wave action at all.
And to top it off, it is across Big Arm bay, three miles to Wildhorse Island, and others. Great cruising area for a lake.
Here is a great little vid, that shows the area. Not my marina, not my boat, not me.
YouTube - Sailing on Flathead Lake, Montana

If you have to be land locked, that looks like a beautiful place to be! Great video!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
My 40.5 foot boat is in a 42 foot slip. I pay $9 per foot, on the 42 feet. We do have metered power, but the owner of the slip doesn't want to bother with billing me a different amount each month so I pay a reasonable flat monthly rate for water/power.

Our Yacht club for years charged by the length of the boat. The power boaters loved this! They all had huge boathouses that were were both much longer and wider than their boats. We finally changed to system where we pay by the length*width of either the boat, or the boathouse if there is one. Much more equitable.

Unfortunately, I'm #26 on the waiting list for a slip at the Yacht Club. The slip that my Catalina 36 was in is too short and narrow for my C-400.

Dave

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-08-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
.....I pay $9 per foot,.....Dave
Holy smokes. Per what?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-08-2011

MikeinLA is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wise4 View Post
For the most part, all the marinas around here (socal) are fixed price per foot and normally have pretty good facilities. Pump outs are everywhere and generally free to anyone who needs it. Of course we pay for it with ridiculous prices (I'm paying almost $17 a foot in Dana Point).... I could get cheaper in a bad part of LA or a couple hours from open ocean in the back of San Diego.... I kinda like 5 minutes to open water so I'll keep paying....

Oh well.... At least I've been sailing almost every weekend for the last two years....
I was paying $ 17.00 per foot in Marina del Rey for a 40' slip. Last year, I figured the economy was bad and people were dumping their boats, so I shopped around and found a slip for $ 13.00 per foot just across the fairway at a different marina. The difference in price covers my diver, boat washer and insurance. And, I can see my old slip from my new slip.

Mike
Old 05-08-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
I pay $11.65/ft. for a 27 ft boat in King Harbor/Redondo Beach (I've been there a while, so I'm grandfathered in at slightly below the "official" rate). Electricity (30A) is metered, but I rarely get charged more than a few pennies a month. The pumpout dock is free.

I've noticed that the slip fees in MDR have gone down a bit lately; to the point that I could probably save a few bucks by moving my boat back there. But, the difference isn't enough (yet) to make the move worth it. Besides, I can be out of the harbor from my current slip in a fraction of the time it would take from a slip in MDR. The water quality in King Harbor is usually quite a bit better too (discounting our run-ins with mass Kamikaze sardine attacks).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-09-2011

denverd0n is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
There's nothing stopping the marina operator in the above scenario from charging everyone the 40' rate...
Sure there is: supply and demand.

If you have a 40' boat you have fewer places that can accommodate you than the guy with a 30' boat. As such, the marina owner can charge the 40' boat more. If, however, the marina operator tries to charge the 30' boat owner the same amount, the guy might just move his boat somewhere else--he's got more options.
Old 05-09-2011

danaforce is on a distinguished road
I had no idea marina's vary so much in costs based on region. I manage a ship store and do the contracting for slips at our marina on Lake Champlain, in upstate NY.

We are a 5 star marina inside a man-made dug out inlet, we are the most protected marina on the lake and cater to the largest boats. As such, are rates are higher than our competitors but year after year we are 100% full (335 slips) and have over 40-50 people on a waiting list. (large slips are hard to find on this lake)

We offer full pump out services, fuel, a restaurant/bar, bath-house with 10 showers, laundry facilities, swimming pool, grills, electric/hydro at slip and land, full service shop, dive shop, conveinence store, courtsey car, free wi-fi, mail-room (95% of customers are French), hiking trails, tennis courts, parking lots, etc..

Our customer's sign yearly contracts, with posted rates for services. We offer 2 levels of slips, regular (2 boats/slip) and premium (would have solo slip) at the respective rates of $75/foot & $90/foot. Return customer's who pay their deposit (20%) in September of the previous year, receive a $5/ft discount on dockage. Our docks have minimum length requirements with the minimum at 25' going up to 32', 38', and 40', you will pay at least the minimum dock length regardless of boat size (35' on a 40' min dock, you pay for 40.) Electrical is metered and is 0.18 cents a kw/hour, water is free. pump-outs are $7.50/pump or $32.50 for 5 (punch card).

Winter storage is in the parking lots. We handle boat's from 25' - 65' in length, we're probablly 60/40 power to sailboat ratio, and 95/5 ratio of French Canadians to Americans. A good majority of our customers are wealthy large powerboater's who want to arrive on the boat, turn the key-and-go, dock it and forget about it until next weekend, which we cater to very well with a full service shop, licensed captains, and certified technicians, we even make their beds each week if so desired. Everything is on a per foot basis, from shrink wrapping to pressure washing to storage or waxing. It is a very community feel, with the upscale professionalism one would expect at a 'resort', Out of 335 slips we rarely have more than 10 slips not renew for the following year.

As a test to the protected channel our marina is in and the quality the marina was built with, Lake Champlain is currently 3 feet over flood stage, all the marinas within hours of us are flooded and months behind, we have 40 boat's in the water and have barely suffered a hiccup. Unfortunanetly much of our city is flooded. I hope this helps anyone in the upstate NY area or anyone who found it of interest. You can find more information on our website (in my sig, not enough posts for a link yet!)

After a couple years staring at boat's here, I purchased a 25' sailboat and will be starting my new life addiction this season, if your in the area, feel free to contact me.

Treadwell Bay Marina & Resort

Old 05-09-2011
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Here in West-Michigan you pay per season for slips running, 25', 30', 36', 40' and most marina's allow 10% over i.e. you can put a 32'/33' boat in a 30' slip, or a 40'ter in a 36' slip. Also many include the utilities, all include water, some have separate meters for electric (pain in the a*# having to sign up with the power company for a partial year as out boats aren't in the water year around). Rates run anywhere from $800 to $4,200 for the above mentioned slip sizes depending on area.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 05-09-2011

glassdad is on a distinguished road
In Channel Islands Harbor (Oxnard) we pay $14 per foot. The electicity is metered and added to our bill. We do pay a min of $5.50 per month for the electricity. Water is free. There is a charge for phone and cable hookup but I don't use it so I have no idea what it is. There is free pump out in the harbor in three different locations.

Right now, our marina is not crowded at all. Other marina's in the harbor are more crowded but they are not as nice. Some of them have two boats in one slip.

We have clean bathrooms with nice showers. We also have a clubhouse with a pool for the hot days without wind.

It is a very welcoming location.
Old 05-10-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Holy smokes. Per what?
9$ per foot/month
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on