Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
marina charges, why so much ??

In looking for a new marina... I can not understand why a marina owner can not simply answer the question. In my last stay, it really became a way for the dock master to charge what ever he wanted, as there was zero consistency between what I was told, the rate sheet I was given, the bills I received, the website rate page, etc, etc

I ask about slip fees and electric...and any more the answer is "it depends" or the latest, "generally speaking". With electricity, it is even more ambiguous...depends on if "I see water pumping which tells me that you are running AC/Heat full time" when in actuality it is my freezer that runs perhaps an hour a day. Or "a single 30amp is $20, unless you use electricity, then it is $30, except if I see water being pumped then it is $60 a month in the summer and $90 in the winter months", I ask what do you call the winter months, - answer "well, it depends"

Then I ask about bathrooms and showers. "most of the time" or "they are cleaned often". When I asked about pumpouts, was told "they are free for slip holders, except if you stay more than 15 days a month or 10 nights consecutively", then "the pumpout is either $5 or $10, unless you are a slipholder"

This was after a recent weekend of visiting, calling and checking on line in the lower Chesapeake. And don't even think about asking about "extended stay or short term" they just can't comprehend the calculation to determine that one.

My home dock with no water or electric is looking very appealing about now, at least I know what it will cost, monthly.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
My slip costs a set fee per season. There are 3 different rates based loosely on the size of the boat (if it'll fit without interfering with other traffic or dragging bottom). These rates include parking of my vehicle. Electricity is free if you already own a generator (if you don't have a generator then there's no electricity).

Choice would be better, but we have what we have. In my case, different would either be farther from home, or pricier, or more vulnerable to vandalism.

Sorry to hear of your troubles though.
Old 05-05-2011

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
If you have a dock at home it would seem for the cost of just a few months fees you could run power and water down to it. Just be sure to put meters on the water and hydro so you know what to charge yourself.
Old 05-05-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd3pc View Post

My home dock with no water or electric is looking very appealing about now, at least I know what it will cost, monthly.

I'd run power and water out to your home dock. I would poo my britches happy if I could have a home dock even if I had to run an extension cord and a long hose to it.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 05-05-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
Some marinas only charge for the electricity that you actually use. They have a meter at each slip and you only pay for what you use. What they charge for slip rent, however, varies dramatically.

Gary
Old 05-05-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
really good marinas are scarcer than hen's teeth,theres only so many marinas and they have boaters by the short hairs,lots of marina's even require a one year lease but you better not complain too much or you'll soon be high and dry,even if your slip fee is already paid.this issue is the only reason i'm concitoring selling/giving up my boat,marinas perfer rich [too busy]people who automatically send in their slip fees plus any shoddy work performed by marina personal and visit/use their boats maybe a couple of days per year
Old 05-05-2011

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
One thing I've never understood, (and maybe any marina owners/operators can chime in here) is why they charge per foot for a slip. I can understand why you would charge per foot for space along a bulkhead; the more space you use there, the less boats you can fit, it's a real $/foot situation.

For slips, however, this makes no sense, if I park a 31' boat in a 40' slip, it isn't like the owner can fit in a 9 footer behind me. But that 31' owner will be paying less then the 35' owner right next to him, for the exact same service.

I have heard people say it's because they can make more money that way, but I don't buy that. There's nothing stopping the marina operator in the above scenario from charging everyone the 40' rate, thus bringing in more money for each slip (and breaking even for 40' boats).
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-05-2011

herezjohnny is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38 View Post
One thing I've never understood, (and maybe any marina owners/operators can chime in here) is why they charge per foot for a slip. I can understand why you would charge per foot for space along a bulkhead; the more space you use there, the less boats you can fit, it's a real $/foot situation.

For slips, however, this makes no sense, if I park a 31' boat in a 40' slip, it isn't like the owner can fit in a 9 footer behind me. But that 31' owner will be paying less then the 35' owner right next to him, for the exact same service.

I have heard people say it's because they can make more money that way, but I don't buy that. There's nothing stopping the marina operator in the above scenario from charging everyone the 40' rate, thus bringing in more money for each slip (and breaking even for 40' boats).
I`m not a marina operator, but you can assume the bigger the boat the greater potential water and electricity usage.
Old 05-05-2011

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
herez

I think that assumption is the mistaken one that my previous marina owner uses. He equated my usage to the 50' Bertram next to me. Yet I am almost all 12volt, self sustaining. Same with being at the marina during the week, when he saw me several times in a one week period, he assumed I was living aboard...and sent me the bill...I was not! So I sent it back, marked as such.

As to my dock, it is merely that. To bring electricity and water to the dock would require building a house, and installing an approved, engineered septic system. Where we are, you can not do one, without the others. Engineered septic system...about $35K, Electric about $12K, Well about $6-10K. We have completed the soil work to the tune of another $3-4K and can get a permit for the installation, once the building permit is acquired, but we are just not ready to "build" yet.
Old 05-05-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
I do agree with the pushback on charging for slips by the foot, which is typically the longer of the slip or the boat in my neck of the woods. When you rent an apartment, you pay for the size of the apartment, regardless of how many people you put in it. However, I suspect that changing to a standard cost for the dock, even if the net result was the same for the marina, would increase the cost for most boats in the marina and only lower it for those that stick off the end.

In my former marina, I paid for a 60 foot slip!! Ugh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.