Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Hey, I used to do this with my two boys when they got out of hand. Had to send them to their rooms for a timeout. Worked with those children, so should work with the ones here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 05-05-2011
Barkeep - Sailor's Pub

craigtoo will become famous soon enough craigtoo will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to craigtoo Send a message via Yahoo to craigtoo Send a message via Skype™ to craigtoo
WOW.. as one of the original Ignore thread posters, I am personally honored that the Mod's have finally seen the "Ignore light" and have chosen to formalize their ignore participation.

Denby, BLT2SKI, Chef where are you guys!

(PS please force ignore me with Denby...)

I love
Old 05-05-2011

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Im here C2...dont worry!

Photo by Joe McCary
Old 05-05-2011
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
Just because a person is on ignore does not give anyone the right for personal attacks. That is not allowed no matter what. Would be a quick way for the offending party to earn a vacation.

The point of this is to make the board better. Those that would use this rule to its detriment wont be here for long. This is kinda the hail-marry pass. If a person does not get it, they will pursue excellence elswhere.

Brian

PS This was not directed at you... only answering the question.
Just to ask the question, and take it one step further. What about when "member A" doesn't actually attack "member B" to a degree that breaks the rules, but belittles them? As was pointed out, the rest of the board still sees it and may even have their view of "member B" clouded by those comments.
Old 05-05-2011

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Anthing which will bring hopefully bring civility back is worth trying. Most of us know the difference between a "tweak" of someone....banter....honest strong difference of opinion and plain vicious personal attack. There is no room for the later in a forum where people come to learn and share ideas and knowledge.

I disagree with anyone who would say well you have to expect to get attacked personally since after all its the internet or its a forum or I have seen it on verey forum I have been part of so get used to it. No one has to get used to uncivility....anywhere and no one should put up with it.

My biggest worry would be the moderators using "censorship" to control the tone or ideas of the forum to their own personal comfort zones. I have found the moderators to be eminently fair on here and maybe too lax in enforcing the civility, especially when it came to an "older" member or one who had many posts. The rules should apply equally for all. I beleive this is an attempt to bring back the civility and therefore appropriate.

I somewhat like this to the threshold for harrasment in the workplace. It is not what you and I think is harassment, yet it is the perception of the person who feels the harrasment who makes the determination. With that in mind if a poster feels that the language, or civility is in question then they should say so without repudiation. They should not be ridiculed, nor ignored no matter if it is a nubee or an old salt. At that point the moderators should step in with the ruling/ warning iof necessary to the person who was felt to be offensive and let them know that they have offended another member. That enough is all that is needed. Degree or severity should not be a determination. If the Person who has made the offensive remark/ or continues to pursue the offended individual, then the mods should step in with escalating action to the OFFENDING party.

Again I trust the moderators in this forum as I have found them decent and civil. I have seen that if someone felt they were offended by the moderators that moderator made the situation "right" by speaking and correcting the situation. We should all learn a page from them. Especially since words in a forum or the internet come without sound and can be interpreted so many ways. Treat others as you want to be treated yourself...its easy.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 05-05-2011

knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about knothead has a spectacular aura about
I have a question too. Does this new rule mean that you can't read the person that is on forced ignore when you are just lurking?

I often read threads without logging in and am able to read everything Ragnar writes. When I log on I can't which is usually just enough to keep me from being tempted to respond.
Sorry Rags.
Old 05-05-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Ah yes, Master Denby is at work! I do here we are working on an addition i Master Painkiller is almost there!

With this BS about ignoring........ no issues with this version of ignore!

Can I go back to ignoring, so I can become a master ignoramous?!?!?!?

Marty
Old 05-05-2011
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I have a question too. Does this new rule mean that you can't read the person that is on forced ignore when you are just lurking?

I often read threads without logging in and am able to read everything Ragnar writes. When I log on I can't which is usually just enough to keep me from being tempted to respond.
Sorry Rags.

Or, when someone else quotes the person, does it show up in that persons reply??

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 05-05-2011

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigtoo View Post
WOW.. as one of the original Ignore thread posters, I am personally honored that the Mod's have finally seen the "Ignore light" and have chosen to formalize their ignore participation.

Denby, BLT2SKI, Chef where are you guys!

(PS please force ignore me with Denby...)
BITE ME!

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 05-05-2011

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Yep, I unreservedly support the principle because I agree that we don't want to reduce the brains trust of the board due to personal sniping but at the same time we don't want to make the board an old lady's tea party. Sometimes blatantly stupid or irresponsible posts have to be reacted to. It's a tough job, being a moderator.

But CD, you have just made your job (and all the other moderators) a whole lot tougher. Why? Well because the last thing we need now is for you to place a Forced Ignore on Member A and Member B which allows Member A to post whatever vitriol he wants about Member B safe in the knowledge that Member B will never get to read it and react. But the rest of the board will see it.

The moderators will have to be ever wary and control this element.

I hope that the members are responsible enough to see the value of the new rule and not abuse it but there is always one . . . .
I don't see this as a high probability. Most arguments happen when one poster deliberately provokes, or trolls another. Without the interaction the dissagreement loses most of it's fun