Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Exclamation New Moderation Rule

A forum is a place where people can openly share ideas and thoughts. Many of those ideas and thoughts are opinionated. As sailors, we are full of opinions. I remember a really old salt telling me once, "Ask four sailors the same questions and you will get five different answers." Such sage advice has never been more true.

The issue(s) that have come from this is that arguments ensue. I don't mind a good argument, but I have also come to the realization that some people simply are polar opposites and will NEVER get along. In the days, weeks, and years passed, these arguments follow around the board (and to other boards) and have resulted in a lot of bad blood between all involved. We have lost a lot of super members because of this. I genuinely believe that many of these members would still be here if they could have found a way to ignore the offensive poster, and likewise. Instead, the board as a whole is worse off.

Up until today, when these matters have happened, we have tried to reason with the arguing parties. We have threatened both and even given out bans when we felt it crossed the line. Unfortunately, it would not take long before (upon return) the posters were right back into it and we followed them around the board, cleaning up their posts and again trying to reason between them. It did not take long before we were at a loss for options.

There are many examples of these incidents and I point no finger at any party. It is just a sad reality of life that some people will never get along. Does not make either right or wrong, it just is.

I wanted to go into a long explanation of the circumstances leading up to this so everyone will understand why we are doing what we are doing. These issues have now forced us to reconsider our moderating options and we are in 100% agreement on a potential solution: Forced Ignore.

A forced ignore will not be used lightly. We realize that members want to know everything that is going on, etc. But when we as moderators feel that we are at the end of the line with reasoning and we see little other choice, we will enfore a Forced Ignore on both parties. What this means is that you will not be able to read anything posted by that poster and he will not be able to read anything posted by you. Neither will ever know the other is even there.

We will alert both parties ahead of time. We will give both parties a chance to rectify it on their own. We will also give both parties a chance to do the Ignore Function themselves. But after that point, we will instigate it.

If any member removes the Forced Ignore and replies to any post in any way to someone that was supposed to be on their ignore list, they will be banned for the remaining of the forced ignore. Repeat violations will get you permanently removed from this forum and your IP address blocked so you cannot even read Sailnet, much less participate in it. I hope that is crystal clear to EVERYONE.

The intention of this is to make the forum a better place for everyone - including those we Force Ignore. I hope everyone will see that. I also hope everyone will understand that it is a weapon of last resort and we have always tried to be fair even handed in our actions.

Regards,

Brian and ALL the Mods.
PenobscotBaySailor likes this.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 05-05-2011

glmark is on a distinguished road
WOW! sanity and civility on the web! Good for Sailnet.
Old 05-05-2011
ancient mariner

captbillc is on a distinguished road
I could never understand why some people continue to argue. everyone is entitled to their opinion , but our purpose here should be to give good advise to anyone who asks for it, & try to help the other sailors.
PenobscotBaySailor likes this.
Old 05-05-2011

PaulfromNWOnt is on a distinguished road
Bravo!
Old 05-05-2011
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Works for me.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 05-05-2011

rayncyn51 is on a distinguished road
Me, too!
Old 05-05-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
You mods are acting like such a dads!!

(... huffs off to sulk, while trying to crack level 249 on his GameBoy, with his earbuds in and his iPod cranked up...)
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-05-2011

PatA is on a distinguished road
Sounds reasonable since the level of civility seems to have waned.
Old 05-05-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad View Post
What this means is that you will not be able to read anything posted by that poster and he will not be able to read anything posted by you. Neither will ever know the other is even there.
Yep, I unreservedly support the principle because I agree that we don't want to reduce the brains trust of the board due to personal sniping but at the same time we don't want to make the board an old lady's tea party. Sometimes blatantly stupid or irresponsible posts have to be reacted to. It's a tough job, being a moderator.

But CD, you have just made your job (and all the other moderators) a whole lot tougher. Why? Well because the last thing we need now is for you to place a Forced Ignore on Member A and Member B which allows Member A to post whatever vitriol he wants about Member B safe in the knowledge that Member B will never get to read it and react. But the rest of the board will see it.

The moderators will have to be ever wary and control this element.

I hope that the members are responsible enough to see the value of the new rule and not abuse it but there is always one . . . .

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-05-2011
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
Yep, I unreservedly support the principle because I agree that we don't want to reduce the brains trust of the board due to personal sniping but at the same time we don't want to make the board an old lady's tea party. Sometimes blatantly stupid or irresponsible posts have to be reacted to. It's a tough job, being a moderator.

But CD, you have just made your job (and all the other moderators) a whole lot tougher. Why? Well because the last thing we need now is for you to place a Forced Ignore on Member A and Member B which allows Member A to post whatever vitriol he wants about Member B safe in the knowledge that Member B will never get to read it and react. But the rest of the board will see it.

The moderators will have to be ever wary and control this element.

I hope that the members are responsible enough to see the value of the new rule and not abuse it but there is always one . . . .
Just because a person is on ignore does not give anyone the right for personal attacks. That is not allowed no matter what. Would be a quick way for the offending party to earn a vacation.

The point of this is to make the board better. Those that would use this rule to its detriment wont be here for long. This is kinda the hail-marry pass. If a person does not get it, they will pursue excellence elswhere.

Brian

PS This was not directed at you... only answering the question.

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Closed Thread