SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Project Boat...

4K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  richardinhingham 
#1 ·
OK so i have been sailing mostly smaller boats forever,Cats, Lasers, 5o5, Etc
recently i ran across a 28 soverall that is in poor shape at best.
the owner is letting me have the boat. I think it will be a great project boat for my youngest and me, there just isn't much out there about the boat. I like the open design and it should be a decent boat for teaching kids how to sail. anyone heard of this design.

#2 ·
I have ehard of this maker..don't know much if anything about them. The specs on sailcalcpro website show a 27-footer and a 30-footer but don't list the specs for a 28-footer. The specs on the 27 illustrate a boat that was fairly average or below average in most departments. However...sounds like the price was right...have fun with her!

#3 · (Edited)
I know Soverels reasonably well. I assume this is the 28 foot Soverel that was a 1960's era MORC racer-cruiser. (There was a later limited production Mark Soverel design but I doubt this is one of them.) The MORC rule of that era produced some of the nicest dual purpose boats. For that era, boats like these were reasonably fast, sailed well upwind and down, and had a decent motion. These boats were simply and reasonably well constructed and if you don't get carried away trying to update the boat too much, they should be inexpensive to own and maintain.

Of course these are nearly 50 year old boats, and if not well maintained and replaced, almost all of the original systems would be long past thier normal lifespans. But there are likely to be many deferred maintenance and deteriorated items. Long term maintenance items like replacing the centerboard bushings and cables can be a real pain in the butt job. The original rudder may be shot. I think Soverels had plywood deck cores and of course these could be completely delaminated and rotted as well, and so on.

My best advise is if you personally are not extremely knowledgeable, spend a little time and money and have the boat surveyed so that you can more accurately appraise how much work the boat needs. The survey on a small simple boat should not cost a whole lot but it will produce at least a partial list of safety items and repairs which need to be performed.

Jeff

#4 ·
thanks for the replys, Jeff, the boats standing rigging is 3 years new as is the CB cable, new furling jib and many sails most stil crisp, she sank on land and the owner dosn't want to fool with it
i,m sure the deck has soft spots, my buddy works at the yard were its stored
and said it was always maintaned. i'm just using it for a daysailor above the baybridge, something for the kids to fool with and for me to see if i like sailing larger boats.
Have a Great Day
~joe

#5 ·
I will assume :) you will want basic liability insurance which will require a survey in many cases depending on how you do it

The survey can open a can of whoopass in what are refereed to as defecienys (stuff that can sink the boat pretty easy)

It just always a good idea to pay a few bucks to know how deep your getting in before you do

#7 ·
You say: "she sank on land"? I'm not quite sure what you mean by that. Filled up with rain water on land?

On a boat this size there might likely be an inboard engine. Does your Soverell have one? What condition?

You will likely need a survey even if you get your homeowner's insurance carrier to cover your boat as Tommays points out.

#8 ·
JB,

Sometimes the most expensive boat is a free one. Also, depending on the capacity of your wallet, it can break you. Don't forget about all the cost associated with a larger boat. Haul outs, winter storage, slip/marina fee, larger insurance, maintenance that you just won't be able to do efficiently. A couple of years ago, we bought a 25 foot trailerable for MY youngest and I to bond over. Sleeps 5. Sails well enough for me. Cost us $2200 plus $1500 for a trailer. My wife and I can step the mast, and launch in 25 minutes. From my limited perspective, maybe something a little smaller? But I am biased. Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

Fair Winds!,

Don

Biddeford, ME

#9 ·
Soverel 28

HEY! I missed this thread three months ago!

I have a similar boat! The Soverel 28 is an excellent sailing boat, and you and I are the only ones I know who have the MORC II design. I am very jealous of your sails and your new rigging. I have the original diesel engine, and PERHAPS the original sails--or close to it.

You and your son are going to be very happy. If you have the Volvo Penta, see if you can find a local diesel wizard to help you get it going. Those are just tractor motors, and pretty darn near indestructible. I kind of doubt there WILL be soft spots, since there are no laminates--there is some heavy marine plywood under the deck and on the doghouse--but other than that you are looking at solid fiberglass. My boat has the original pegboard interior, a sore spot for my wife, but highly utile.

You should log onto the Soverel Yahoo group. It is pretty dead most of the time, but there are a good number of pictures of 28's and I have been putting together a database there of the active boats.

CONGRATULATIONS on getting a great deal!

#10 ·
Richard,
i have seen the pictures you have posted your boat is a cuople of years newer.
i have almost finished with glueing the stifiners back in (had to tear out the pegboard...darn)
the cabin top and foward deck are soft, the previous owner had
a extra compression post installed. the boat rely is a joy to sail, perfect day tripper.
my son is starting an "Almara" Facebook page.
she has the Atomic 4 engine which after some work and a little jb weld runs awsome
thanks
joe
send me your email

#13 ·
Richard,
my son is starting an "Almara" Facebook page.
she has the Atomic 4 engine which after some work and a little jb weld runs awsome
thanks
joe
I'm glad you stuck with it. Sure project boats are going to cost more than you originally paid for it. But it isn't always about the money. Sometimes it is about sharing time with someone or working through your own demons as you work on the boat. In my case it was about learning how to fix things on a boat and to push my personal DIY limits.

My first boat was a project boat that my father helped me work on. The boat itself wasn't a classic or anything special, but shortly after we launched my father was diagnosed with lung cancer and died three months later. The memories alone were worth the time and money that I put into the boat.

#14 ·
I can't find the facebook page. I have quite a few pix of my Soverel 28 on my facebook page but I haven't yet provided her with her own page....Let me know when it is up! Glad you got the A4 running--that is the other unbreakable sailboat motor of that era!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.