Boat Aground In Annapolis, MD- Can someone help this man - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Plenty of jerkiness here to go 'round. Not clear from the article whether the sailboat owner accepted responsibility for the damage and indicated he intended to make good, or just used the lack of insurance as an "oops." If the latter, I could understand the powerboat owner's frustration, although it in no way excuses his bad behavior. I suppose the powerboat owner could go to his own insurance company for the repair, then let the company and their army of lawyers try to recoup from the sailboat owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
I read the comments of the readers on the linked sight and one poster indicated he had first hand knowledge of the parties involved and stated the damage amounted to a scratched or bent bow rail.
The article indicated a "marine appraiser" estimated the damage at $4K.

Quote:
Also the injured party had come out on the dock and "yelled " at the grounded vessel's owner on numerous occasions and summonded the coast guard on more han one occasion hampering and delaying the efforts of the stranded vessel's crew/owner to effect the recovery !
What's wrong w/ people ?
Just inexcuseable! It sounds like the sailboat owner is indeed making a diligent effort, and has been responsive to things like the possibility of leaking fuel. But calling the Coast Guard? Repeatedly? Really, don'cha think there are smarter ways to spend their time?

Quote:
This was obviously a misfortunate situation and not an intended action.
And a beautiful craft as well, I hope it gets floated. And it would be correct to see the damaged party made whole again as well, even if he seems to be acting a bit poorly.
just my observation.
Totally agree.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2011

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
He says he can't get insurance, is that he can't get hull insurance or liability insurance? Hull insurance I can believe that, at least without a very detailed, costly survey, but liability?
Old 05-08-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I read the comments of the readers on the linked sight and one poster indicated he had first hand knowledge of the parties involved and stated the damage amounted to a scratched or bent bow rail.
Also the injured party had come out on the dock and "yelled " at the grounded vessel's owner on numerous occasions and summonded the coast guard on more han one occasion hampering and delaying the efforts of the stranded vessel's crew/owner to effect the recovery !
When I read the news from the link, it appears that the powerboat owner is a real jerk wrapping around in his self small world. Unfortunately, there are plenty of these around on the bay and around our roadway.

How many times have you seen a car takes up two parking spaces because the owner thinks his car is special? These are the owner who couldn't afford their car first place.

But lives go on.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-10-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Can anyone give and update on this situation? possible pictures?
Old 05-10-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
When you work hard to buy nice property and a huge boat lands there with pretty much no possibility of leaving in one piece

4' of water with and 8' draft boat will see how well you take it

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
Old 05-10-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post
When you work hard to buy nice property and a huge boat lands there with pretty much no possibility of leaving in one piece

I agree with you, without a major major expense this boat will not move. The article says the man is waiting for a high pressure system to raise the water- He should want a low pressure system. I used to live a mile where the boat is, normal tides are only a couple feet. Spring tides maybe up to 4 to five feet. This guy needs a northeaster for several days or a hurricane to get the water level where he needs it, and then once he has the boat to the open bay, he could be dealing with 8 foot seas with 50 knot winds.

I wish him luck.
Old 05-10-2011

pistonbully is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I agree with you, without a major major expense this boat will not move. The article says the man is waiting for a high pressure system to raise the water- He should want a low pressure system. I used to live a mile where the boat is, normal tides are only a couple feet. Spring tides maybe up to 4 to five feet. This guy needs a northeaster for several days or a hurricane to get the water level where he needs it, and then once he has the boat to the open bay, he could be dealing with 8 foot seas with 50 knot winds.

I wish him luck.
Word! This poor fella just needs to pony up and get his boat moved. I know times are hard but it should be priority #1.. Hell if he's got to he could move on to it after he gets it out and recoup some expense while he's not paying rent.
Old 05-10-2011

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
From the article:

Quote:
Emmet said he cannot afford to carry insurance.

---

"The boat was worthless, you could stick a rattail file through the deck at the mast," Emmet said.

An employee at a local boatyard began fixing the boat up, and Emmet joined the project sometime around 2005. He ended up buying the boat for $1,000 and dedicating himself to fixing it up.

---

Orca II is now worth about $500,000, Emmet said.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 05-10-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

Well..... that is the fact of life. Sh*t happens, it is the nature's way. The powerboat owner doesn't have to be an ass and keep bitching. As now there is nothing one can do except waiting for the high tide. The other alternative to to demolish the boat which is not a solution either.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-12-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Here's the latest - the sailboat owner was able to float his boat off aided by yesterdays tides ...
Really high tide, 'laws of physics' free stranded sailboat • Top Stories (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: