Boat Aground In Annapolis, MD- Can someone help this man - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
rockDAWG +1

wingNwing +1 for the update!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Hooray, I am glad. Good for both of them. Hope they live in harmony thereafter. Life is too damn short to sweat on the little stuff. It is only money, we can always make some more.

I also noticed that last nite at around 11:30 pm, the tide was way up there, I needed to jump off from the sailing boat for about good two feet. This was highest I can remember.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-12-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
A lucky man, surprised he got her off.
Old 05-12-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
A lucky man, surprised he got her off.
It's all in the technique, and stamina helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2011
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
It's always good when a man ('s boat) gets off LOL

Seriously; Sailnet Mods,, why don't you invite him to the forum and write or have his story posted?

I'd actually love to have a tour of the gentleman's boat.

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-12-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Glad to see it. I hope he can at least find some liability insurance on his old boat, since a boat like that can do some serious damage.

I tried to get to my boat yesterday and couldn't. We normally have 6' tidal swings, but it was up to 8', and was even higher than NOAA's 7' spring tide prediction. I was wondering if someone was emptying a big reservoir upriver, since there had been no recent rainfall or winds pushing the water in.

When I parked my car the water was into the parking lot about 18" past the end of the dock. I quickly changed my shoes and went back to the dock expecting to hop the 18" but it had moved to about 6' from the dock. It was still about 30 minutes to high tide, so I gave up and left because I did not want to wait over an hour for it to recede.

FYI, here's how it looked in Annapolis:

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-12-2011
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
I applaud the owner's patience, and ingenuity but as John quoted from the original article he said #1- insurance is hard to get for a wooden boat, and then later said #2 that he couldn't afford insurance.

Maybe you can't insure the boat, but he should be able to purchase liability insurance. If no one is willing to issue him any kind of insurance, then he should take greater precautions than normal to insure that his boat doesn't blow down on anyone else's property. This is sort of a case of someone biting off more than they can chew.

I'm not trying to crap on the guy, I'm glad for him. I just hope that he takes greater care in the future to secure the boat against adverse weather.

The other thought that keeps rattling around in my brain is: "Who the hell keeps a pleasure sailboat that draws 8 friggin' feet in the Chesapeake Bay???" That thing belongs in Puget Sound.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 05-12-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
Glad to see it. I hope he can at least find some liability insurance on his old boat, since a boat like that can do some serious damage.

I tried to get to my boat yesterday and couldn't. We normally have 6' tidal swings, but it was up to 8', and was even higher than NOAA's 7' spring tide prediction. I was wondering if someone was emptying a big reservoir upriver, since there had been no recent rainfall or winds pushing the water in.

When I parked my car the water was into the parking lot about 18" past the end of the dock. I quickly changed my shoes and went back to the dock expecting to hop the 18" but it had moved to about 6' from the dock. It was still about 30 minutes to high tide, so I gave up and left because I did not want to wait over an hour for it to recede.

FYI, here's how it looked in Annapolis:

Noaa is very bad at predicting tides on the chesapeake. I lived on the bay and in about 1995 Noaa predicted 3 foot above msl and a hurricane surge caused an 8 foot above msl tide. Sometimes Conowingo Dam will release a lot of water (during heavy rains in PA) and the water will cause the bay to rise and when topped with winds and spring/fall tides it can amount to many times the normal tide. The release from Conowingo a few days ago might have helped the water level rise: USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 01578310 SUSQUEHANNA RIVER AT CONOWINGO, MD
Old 05-12-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleheadMd View Post
Maybe you can't insure the boat, but he should be able to purchase liability insurance. If no one is willing to issue him any kind of insurance, then he should take greater precautions than normal to insure that his boat doesn't blow down on anyone else's property. This is sort of a case of someone biting off more than they can chew.
I am afraid that the uninsured boaters are much more common than we realized, especially there is no requirement by the state. I wonder if there is uninsured boater insurance just like in the automobile side.

In today's economy, the first thing many boat owners will do is to drop their boat expense. This particular true when the owner has no net worth at all, he is not risking much when he is being sued. Suck to be the other boaters

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-12-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
...I wonder if there is uninsured boater insurance just like in the automobile side...
My policy has this.

It just occurred to me that maybe some dam operators up on the Susquehanna saw the newspaper article and took pity on the guy.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.