Boat Aground In Annapolis, MD- Can someone help this man - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Talking about insurance, say you run agound or are sinking and it is in the middle of the night. Do you try to contact your insurance company to get help or do you contact a salvage company directly to save your boat. In many cases time is of the essance. What do you do if your insurance company is slow to respond or does not answer the phone in the middle of the night? I have progessive so maybe they have 24 hr phone- but I could see any company dragging there heels and that time could mean if the boat is recoverable or not. Any experience on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
I seriously doubt that you will be able to find an insurance carrier that does NOT have a 24-hour hotline these days. It's such a highly competitive field that they all want your business--any way they can get it. Look at the way auto insurance has gone in the past 20 years. Two decades ago they all claimed they were loosing money on auto insurance. Today, those same carriers are spending hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars in advertising their car insurance.

Fortunately, I've only run aground (softly) twice in more than 55 years of boating. Both times I was in a well-marked channel, and I was able to extricate myself in just a few minutes.

One of the locations was Chincoteague, VA, where recent storms had caused a sandbar to shift more than 100 feet out into the main channel. The Coast Guard knew about the problem, apologized for the mishap and actually came to my rescue and towed me to deeper water.

The next location was the Havre de Grace, MD channel which is quite narrow when there's a tug pushing a pair of side-by-side barges near the turn at Battery Island. I gave him a wide berth, eased about 50-feet out of the channel near the Sand Island and came to an abrupt halt. As the tug passed his wake actually lifted me off the bottom, which made it easy for me to motor off the soft sand.

Hopefully, since I purchased the Morgan 33 O.I., which only draws 3'-11", groundings will be even less of a problem. But, if it happens again, I have Boat U.S. unlimited towing package, which I hope never to use.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 05-12-2011

sidewinder585 is on a distinguished road
After just reading the thread about the sv. Distant star it is nice to see a happy ending.
Old 05-13-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
Couldn't be happier to find the grounded vessel was recovered. Yea ! Hurray !

Sorry to see this has turned into another "if only he'd had isurance" thread.
But, you "went there" so ....
I'm not a proponent of forced insurance,regardless of the scenario and there are many plausable arguments on both sides.
The ONLY reason I purchase insurance is if I CHOOSE to participate in activities where I must purchase it under threat of arrest,i.e. automotive insurance.
Oddly 2 years ago I was struck from behind at a stop light by an unlicensed driver! My vehicle was deemed "totaled" by the insurance company after they inspected it. The insurance of the other auto owner (not the unlicensed operator) paid me almost as much as I purchased the vehicle for originaly,several thousand dollars. I accepted and repaired it for about $100 and am still driving it today and actually get compliments on what a nice vehicle it is !
I'm not sure what this means,except that it is indicative of the problems w/ waste and exspence of the insurance industry.
Insurance and MANY vehicle/traffic laws did not,will not, and cannot halt unfortunate accidents or incidents like these.
Mandatory insurance laws will make boating less affordable,more regulated,and give law enforcement one more excuse/reason to detain/approach/harass and fine everyone and anyone they selectively choose to. under the justification of Safety and enforcement.
Is this the path you want recreational boating to take ? I don't.
If you are too scared to get out on the water w/your vessel without your insurance underwriter and your attorney, then please, stay in the yacht club dry storage and keep mailing in your checks to your premium and retainer fees.
I, whom enjoy freedom, and am confident my own abilities, as demonstrated by years of adventuring and traveling safely, would prefer to continue to do so, and feel confident that my children will be free to enjoy the same, unencumbered by govermental intrusion brought by those less bold or able.
In Vegas they have a saying "insurance is a sucker bet"
Old 05-13-2011

tommays will become famous soon enough
Its working out great for the powerboat that he hit cause so far he is sticking with got no money to take care of my mess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1981 J24 Tangent 2930
Tommays
Northport NY

If a dirty bottom slows you down what do you think it does to your boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-13-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I'm not going to re-read the whole thread, but I only remember a couple of brief passing comments about insurance...until you decided to kick the hornet's nest with your lengthy comment.

Frankly I think my annual insurance rate is reasonable and does a good job of protecting my fellow boaters against the significant damage that my boat can do to them, especially in cases where Mother Nature decides to take my boat on a joy ride.

But Human Nature being what it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
...The ONLY reason I purchase insurance is if I CHOOSE to participate in activities where I must purchase it under threat of arrest...
...which is EXACTLY why I favor mandatory insurance.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-13-2011
cruising all I can

If you read the attached article from the local paper the bow rail "sprung " back.
Of course I have not personally viewed the damage as "you" apparently have, nor am I sure the reporting is completely accurate as to the amount of damage claimed by the injured party.
I am mearly making judgement on what has been reported second hand.
I am however well aware, as I'm sure many are that the "whiplash" factor must be taken into account when injured parties are questioned about the extent and value of the damages.
Based on the information reported as well as the responses of those in the area I would surmise the injured party may very well be a bit unreasonable based on the oft-reported hostile response to an unfortunate situation.
Or to put it more buntly . the fellow seems a bit of an A**.
What's more , if the injured party was concerned about his hard earned craft and the safety of it, as it is situated on the bank of a public waterway where accidents (quite aparently) coul and do happen.
I would contend that, in this instance, the injured party was culpable by virtue of not adequately preparing himself for the possibility that an unfortunate happening may occur and if concerned with this possibility he was remiss for not taking action to protect himself (by purchasing insurance for himself)!
Possibly the unforsean expense he may now bear could have been mitigated by purchasing the very heralded INSURANCE that many have been crowing about !
The injured party would have been covered. But ,alas, he Chose not to purchase insurance for said incident. As did the fellow whom craft unquestionably caused the damage.
So instead of attempting to influence others to purchase insurance ,those concerned should mearly purchase there own coverage , if they feel so inclined .
simple solution if your scared about it , take your own action to protect yourself if you feel it's justified. the isurance companies will be more than happy to assst you in making an appropriate level and type of coverage you feel you'll need.
In the meantime I'll continue to take the actions I feel the situation merits as has been the practice employed by mariners for centuries. without the need of further intervention/regulation.
Old 05-13-2011
cruising all I can

purchase all the insurance you want, just don't attempt to force me to do likewise in an attempt to appease your fears or possible shortcomings in regard to navigation.
incidently, I didn't "kick" the hornets nest . I knocked it to the ground ,poured gas on it and set it ablaze , thereby irradicating any threat it might pose to the less capable, or hapless women or children whom may have been at risk.
I would have called my insurance rep. to handle it but they were unavailble.
Old 05-13-2011

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Joe, talking about the honesty and integrity of insurance companies is like discussing the state of honor among thieves.

But returning to the two boats at hand, we can all figure out how this one will end. The guy who got crushed will take the guy who crushed him to court, and get a judgement against him. And then we'll find out what that valuable sailboat is worth, as they compel the forced sail of the boat to pay off the judgement. And the attorneys and court costs and all too.

Now, if the crusher had had insurance...he might not lose his boat. But assuming he's broke, as he claims, he's just gonna be broke and boatless as this settles out. He deserves worse, because he could and should have offered to sell that valuable (ha) boat in order to pay for the damage he's caused.
Old 05-14-2011
cruising all I can

Quote:
they compel the forced sail of the boat to pay off the judgement. And the attorneys and court costs and all too
Though this is possibe, it is very unlikely. Due in large part to the fact that the stated amount of damage does not exceed that of the typical small claims action (usually $5000.00) and I believe small claims you must rep yourself. Even if you are represented the atty fees would exceed the damages quite quickly making small claims an untenable solution.
What's more it's unlikely that any court would or could force the sale of a $50,000.00-$500,000.00 craft to satisfy a $4-5,000.00 judgement.
If the value of the boat was less or much more either way it wouldn't happen..
I would prefer the 2 parties come to an agreement independantly (and we don't know this isn't happening) , but based on the reported actions to date I feel that could be difficult.
let's not forget, however unpopular the fact is the injured party also had an oportunity to remedy and limit his exposure by availing himself of coverage that would have "protected" his property but ,to my kowledge, chose not to.
I hear no cries from insurance advocates to mandate insurance for this.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.