Boat Aground In Annapolis, MD- Can someone help this man - Page 9 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
posted by rhythmdoctor-
Quote:
your libertarian BS bluster

you are one of these "undesirables"

the "freedom" that you enjoy will someday be paid for by the rest of us

you're poor you won't be able to cover your own liabilities.

sounds more lazy than poor to me
based on some of the things you've posted on just this thread and your ability to judge people you've never met. I'm not really all that dissapointed that you think the marina you keep your craft in would deny me access (without Ins)
I'm not exactly gettin' a warm and fuzzy from ya'
In response to your question of "how" I would meet any financial issue,
To date I have always worked,saved and paid cash .
and you ?
now if you can get beyond that, would you be so gracious as to tell me what monetary amount would you deem appropriate to mandate one to carry in Liabiliy ins. to operate a 30-35' sailing vessel in coastal and intercostal waters and tributaries of the US ? $500.000- $100,000.00 2million?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2011
cruising all I can

I forgot this quip-
posted by rhhmdocter-
Quote:
You're a pillar of responsibility
Thanks, as a father, small buss. owner,decorated disabled veteran ,conspicuous service cross recipient ,aviator and fun loving sailor , I appreciate your ability to judge me based on an internet thread.
I'm glad I was able to give a number of years of my life and a few body parts to secure your right and ability to depict me as less than honorable,having never met me.
There are many paths.
Old 05-15-2011
cruising all I can

posted by sublime-
Quote:
The helmet and seatbelt deal is a bad example. Wearing a helmet causes a difference in your own personal outcome. It's not going to change what damage your body or bike does to another person. Same as a seatbelt. You either go through the windshield or you don't. It makes no difference to me.
According to the ins. companies, whom were involved in negotiations w/ the powers that be in the state of florida, the public liability and costs caused by personal injury resulting from head injuries incurred by helmetless riders would be substantial.
this despite the fact that in every instance where madatory helmet use was repealed the death and injury rate for motorcycle riders decreased !

(man is this thread waaaaaaaaaayyyyyy off topic ? !!!)
Old 05-15-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by joethecobbler View Post
...in every instance where madatory helmet use was repealed the death and injury rate for motorcycle riders decreased !
Delusional.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-15-2011
cruising all I can

Quote:
Delusional
no, factual
just because you don't like it, doesn't negate he facts. It has been studied for decades. by gov. as well as pivate interests. I believe ABATE was one of a number of sponsors.
At the time of the study it was atributed to increased carelessness brought on by the false sense of security of the degree of safety a helmet can provide in a crash.
Another interesting fact is that no helmet manufactured and DOT approved will withstand more than a 20mph direct impact !
Old 05-15-2011

dabnis is on a distinguished road
Joe,

Although this is drifting from the original post, I raced off road
motorcycles in the desert for over 30 years. A helmet saved my
life, or becoming a vegetable, in a number of trips over the
handle bars. If you ride without one just hope you go out quickly.

Best of luck, Dabnis
Old 05-15-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbully View Post
That's the insurance I will be going with. likely x2 for safety sake when needed.. i'm not lazy just poor.

I don't even think I could get insurance on a cheapo $4000 boat if I wanted to..
I think you miss the point. Don't insure your boat, just your liability for accidents for which you are responsible.

I drive cheap cars. If I wreck one, I'll pay to fix or replace it. However, if I run into someones $100k automobile, that is a check that I can't write. That is the reason for insurance.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-15-2011

pistonbully is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I think you miss the point. Don't insure your boat, just your liability for accidents for which you are responsible.

I drive cheap cars. If I wreck one, I'll pay to fix or replace it. However, if I run into someones $100k automobile, that is a check that I can't write. That is the reason for insurance.

Dave
Ahhh, i get yea..

I didn't start it by the way.. I just tried to reply to this comment as best I could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Gesh!!! We have to pay for "uninsured" motorists. Now are we going to need to pay for "uninsured" boaters also?? Where in the world does it say that I have to take care of your finances??
To be fair,, I was only attempting to retort.. I didn't start this.

However,, Yes you are all correct things were well in place for a collapse before he took office.. BUT, He then when on a spending spree like he was new money.. And that was IMHO what pushed us over the limit (Yes dragging along that ugly housing market with it kinda like this boat) (Not that the boat's ugly) and finishing off what was left of our struggling economy. That's how I saw it happen anyway..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhythmDoctor View Post
It appears from the wording of your statement that you haven't even tried to get a quote. That sounds more lazy than poor to me... and in denial about the potential costs you could inflict on others.
you are correct, from the wording that's what it sounds like..

But in actuality such is not the case. Because I don't yet have a $4000 boat get quoted on. Rather, that's the estimated amount I will be spending to start out. And I do plan to at the very least call my adjuster and ask about it when the time comes. Sorry I may have jumped the gun in my statement.

Last edited by pistonbully; 05-15-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublime View Post
The helmet and seatbelt deal is a bad example. Wearing a helmet causes a difference in your own personal outcome. It's not going to change what damage your body or bike does to another person. Same as a seatbelt. You either go through the windshield or you don't. It makes no difference to me.
It can make a huge difference to all of us. Let's say Mr. Responsible is driving along and some act of God causes his car to careen into a light pole. Mr. Responsible goes through the windshield sustaining a dramatic head injury which causes him a permanent disability. Mr. Responsible isn't likely to refuse SSI support for the rest of his life so the rest of us will be supporting him the rest of his life. In essence, we are paying for his "freedom" to not wear a seat belt.

Dave
My Blog on

Last edited by dhays; 05-15-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-15-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boasun View Post
Stuck in mud & Politics is just about the same thing, isn't it??
+1 :-)
My Blog on