Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2011

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
Boat Aground In Annapolis, MD- Can someone help this man

8 feet of keel in a 4-foot lake • Top Stories (www.HometownAnnapolis.com - The Capital)

Boat Aground In Annapolis, MD- Can someone help this man
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-06-2011

pistonbully is on a distinguished road
Yikes,, Poor guy.

I was thinking floats right off the bat but with out anything for the floats to float against..

I just hate to think what pulling and tugging on the boat will eventually do to it damage wise. What about inlisting a bunch of people with boats to maneuver around it,, hook on to it (in a well coordinated effort ) to pull,, and while they are doing that maybe the engines will create enough chop and buoyancy to float it out a bit?

What about a really big boat comes by leaving a huge wake,, time it right and give a tug? Attempted a few times it might work,,,, but it might also just destroy the boat..
Old 05-06-2011
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
This is the first thing I thought of. could work maybe...

[IMG][/IMG]

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
I'll drive over and take a look this weekend. I think the owner's plan is about the best he is going to come up with. There isn't much water there. I know I don't fit and I don't draw as much as he.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-07-2011
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
I've spent several overnights one creek up the South River from there in Harness Creek. It is quite shallow in there.
There must have been some hellacious weather to push that boat in there.

Everybody has one:

Old 05-07-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Without seeing drawings...I'd have to guess that by simple geometry, you can't heel a boat with an 8' draft far enough to get the keel out of the mud, until you've got the toerail well submerged. Which means flooding and sinking the boat.

At 84,000 pounds she's beyond helicopter lift capacity, too. that means they'll need a barge and crane to lift it and float it out, unless they really think they can kludge a lift "collar" around the hull that will raise four feet of it (essentially, everything but the keel) out of the water. At some 62# per cubic foot and maybe 75,000 pounds to lift? Easy, just rig about 1200 cubic feet of lift bag under the waterline. Capped PVC pipe, lift bags...

I leave it to someone else to figure out if that's gonna cost more than the barge and crane. :-)

Or hauling it ashore and making it into a hot dog stand?
Old 05-07-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Assuming the bottom is silt or sand what he needs is a dredger. Dredge a hole to float the boat then dredge a channel in front of the boat and drop the fill in behind it.

Essentially move the hole with the boat in it.

I saw something like it in Alaska with giant gold dredges that were actually moved across dry land in their own little pond.

No idea what it costs to rent a dredge but it might be worth it.
Old 05-07-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
I'm sure EPA, or DNR, or some enviro agency, will want permits before dredging, ugh. But whazzup with the owner saying he "can't afford insurance" when confronted with the damage his boat did to the docked powerboat, and yet he has a $500K boat? Doesn't he have responsibility whether he's insured or not?

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-08-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
As I read the article , I understood the owner to say that insurance for a 60 year old wood boat was difficult to get or possibly, not available. Not that he couldn't afford it.
I think, the insurance necessary to remedy the injuried party in this instance (the gentleman who was claiming his boat was damaged) would be liability isurance. And as I understand it this is not underwritten w/ necessarily the age of the vessel in consideration but rather the operator and intended use of the vessel.
As per the liability of the owner of the vessel causing the damage, I believe he would still be financially responsible,wether or not he is solvent for the damages is to be determined.
I read the comments of the readers on the linked sight and one poster indicated he had first hand knowledge of the parties involved and stated the damage amounted to a scratched or bent bow rail.
Also the injured party had come out on the dock and "yelled " at the grounded vessel's owner on numerous occasions and summonded the coast guard on more han one occasion hampering and delaying the efforts of the stranded vessel's crew/owner to effect the recovery !
What's wrong w/ people ?
This was obviously a misfortunate situation and not an intended action.
And a beautiful craft as well, I hope it gets floated. And it would be correct to see the damaged party made whole again as well, even if he seems to be acting a bit poorly.
just my observation.
would be curious to know how it plays out.
Old 05-08-2011

benajah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
This is the first thing I thought of. could work maybe...

[IMG][/IMG]
That is just a brilliant idea