Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123456Wannasail654321 View Post
well in the video I suppose these were racing. I was under the impression that spinnakers were meant for light air.

now with he winds that high I think I would be reefed (prob 2 reefs) or maybe jib alone.
Some boat owners will have more than one spin, ie one for up to 25knots, and another that might be 1-20% smaller, and 1.5-20 oz cloth instead of .6-.75 cloth just for days as shown in the vid. No different than some of them rigs have 3-4 head sails, ranging from a 155 down to a storm jib, with a 150 heavier than the 155 light, something around 125-130, 110 .85 storm hib, with some jib sizing in more than one cloth wt for different wind strengths, along with on BIGGER racers, say a V70, they imght have two jibs with the same sail area, but one is a longer luff shorter LP, the other a shorter luff, longer LP. One will use on in taller waves, the other in shorter waves, with the same win speed.

As far as SC goes, IIRC here in the NW it is winds about 22 to 35 knots, either steady or gusts.

I sometimes think it would be better to use the Beaufort scale, which is force 1-10+, with certain wind ranges with in the force ratings frankly.

marty
Old 05-07-2011
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seayalatermoonglow View Post
I would tend to think Environment Canada's reasoning for dropped the "small craft advisory" term would be in response to this very same confusion we're seeing here with the negative effect of keeping certain vessels off the water unnecessarily. I've met people that would use that as an excuse to stay put without really understanding what it's like out there. This type of weather can be ideal for many sailing vessels and quite manageable for other types. A "Strong wind warning" simply seems to imply a person should check the weather and make their own decision...better terminology IMHO.
Bingo! I think you nailed it.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook