Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2011

123456Wannasail654321 is on a distinguished road
small craft advisory

what does that mean exactly? What is considered small?

I know that sailboats can take far more than the crew can and most are over engineered on purpose, and one mans storm is anothers breezy day.

but in general for sailing/boating public at large( you know the weekender herby homeowner etc..what is the target market?

Sailboats under 30 feet, power boats only, dinghies etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2011

RichH will become famous soon enough
Here ya go, official definition from NOAA: Glossary - NOAA's National Weather Service
Old 05-07-2011

SVPrairieRose is on a distinguished road
in my experience on southern vancouver island a small craft advisory means, "Sir, its time to go sailing". I would not want to see a child out in an Optimist but my forty footer needs some push. A small power boat or other small playboats would be a little less comfortable. Watch the water on these days, make your own observations but from what I see, go sailing.
Old 05-07-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVPrairieRose View Post
in my experience on southern vancouver island a small craft advisory means, "Sir, its time to go sailing". I would not want to see a child out in an Optimist but my forty footer needs some push. A small power boat or other small playboats would be a little less comfortable. Watch the water on these days, make your own observations but from what I see, go sailing.
This is true... Usually a small craft advisory simply means good sailing. Interestingly Environment Canada has stopped using that term, now issuing a 'Strong Wind Warning' in advance of Gale and Storm conditions. I believe the threshold is the same as the old SCA, 20-25 knots or so.

Local geography plays a part too. We lived and sailed for over 20 years in Squamish BC at the end of a Coastal Fiord where 20+ knots was a regular summer daily event. However, with the twists and turns of the fiord big seas were extremely rare and that made for marvelous sailing conditions and a steep learning curve. (Big wind/Flat water.... yay!!)The same kind of winds in an area with extended fetch would quickly build an uncomfortable chop and waves, as can strong currents, which are more difficult to adapt to - especially for beginners.

Different areas also have different thresholds as to what their warnings mean so knowing those will help.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 05-07-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-07-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Well ..... When my son was younger in HS. We usually like to pick the days with small craft warning to go out to sail in our 14 ft Capri. We just wanted to have plenty opportunity to turtle our boat. Those days we had one specific objective to learn to survive at the adverse condition in a relatively controlled environment in the Bay. It was fun. We learned a lot about our short coming. We stopped doing it after the coast guard towed us back in the marina. We were not in any danger but they did not want us out there again. LOL.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 05-07-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Just as an example I went and dug this out... This is a bit of an extreme day with winds topping 35 knots at the end of the sound. It's definitely choppy but considering the breeze it's still incredibly flat.

Apologies to those of you who've seen this already....

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-07-2011
Hmmm

Bilgewater is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Apologies to those of you who've seen this already....
Not necessary to apologize ...although I've seen it before, I could watch that a hundred times...great video.

I would tend to think Environment Canada's reasoning for dropped the "small craft advisory" term would be in response to this very same confusion we're seeing here with the negative effect of keeping certain vessels off the water unnecessarily. I've met people that would use that as an excuse to stay put without really understanding what it's like out there. This type of weather can be ideal for many sailing vessels and quite manageable for other types. A "Strong wind warning" simply seems to imply a person should check the weather and make their own decision...better terminology IMHO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Impulse III
Truant Pilothouse
Old 05-07-2011

pistonbully is on a distinguished road
lol,, broach much? THose poor boats! Hey what's the deal with broaching anyway? Some folks seem to not care about ripping the sails apart,, Others I would imagine might have an entire weekend ruined.. If the sail does not rip apart after the broach is it still salvageable? I would think it would destroy the eyelits (What's the real term i'm looking for here?) for the rope?
Old 05-07-2011

123456Wannasail654321 is on a distinguished road
well in the video I suppose these were racing. I was under the impression that spinnakers were meant for light air.

now with he winds that high I think I would be reefed (prob 2 reefs) or maybe jib alone.
Old 05-07-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Just love this

Quote:
Any vessel that may be adversely affected by Small Craft Advisory criteria should be considered a small craft.
typical gov. speak.

A typical spi for a sub 40 foot yacht would be 1/2oz ripstop nylon with 3/4oz being a heavyweight spi for higher wind conditions.

The sailmaker would suggest something like 15 knots max for the 1/2 and 20 for the 3/4. That would be apparent wind or the wind over the deck.

Those guys that broached would be doing something like 10 knots with the wind in a 30 knot wind so the apparent wind over the deck is 20 knots but if you broach the boat spaeed drops to maybe 2knots in the direction of the wind so apparent wind will jump to 28 or more and the spi blows apart.

Perhaps a more experienced crew might have been able to get the spi over behind the mainsail without broaching and get it down but it did look like the boats were running on the ragged edge and as they say disaster was inevitable. Great video and it remeinds me why I only ever raced OPBs

Sellers of spis love these conditions!

Flying a spi in winds higher than it was designed for stretches it and it will not set as well.

If you read the accounts of some of the early Whitbread round the world races the crew had a sewing machine on board and would repair the spinnakers as they sailed MANY TIMES!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.