Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011

motion300 is on a distinguished road
I would use the honda, keep it well coverd when not in use and but a cheap co alarm btw what honda do you have that weights 70 lbs?

Last edited by motion300; 05-08-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2011
Crotchety Old Member

tomperanteau is on a distinguished road
Keep this in mind when you run it.

The family and I anchored out inside the breakwater so that we could leave for the island early. I put the generator up in the cockpit and started it thinking that it would be okay there. There was little to no breeze. The heavier exhaust came down and settled into the cabin. We were able to run the bilge blower and open the boat up to clear the gases, but it was unpleasant for a while.

Even on the roof I would not run it unless there was a bit of a breeze.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Footprints

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube

1969 Crealock/Columbia 36 Sloop completely refitted in 2000 and new Yanmar in 2006.
Old 05-08-2011

soyuz is on a distinguished road
i have 2 demone marines RV27 as batteries,i think i will need to recharge every 3 days or so.i dident weight the the generator but it must be in between 70-100
lbs. i am planning recharging them for about 5-6h and in the mean time will be on the beach ect no way we gonna stay on the boat when its running.
Old 05-09-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Soyuz,

you may want to check what the DC output of your generator is. I used to have a Honda 2000 unit and the DC output was buggerall, 5-10 amp, really only designed for trickle charging. Most of the output was AC, which meant you needed a Battery charger than runs off AC. I had mine connected to a 40amp battery charger, which meant I only needed to run the gen set for 1-2 hours.

Ilenart
Old 05-09-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyuz View Post
i have 2 demone marines RV27 as batteries,i think i will need to recharge every 3 days or so.i dident weight the the generator but it must be in between 70-100
lbs. i am planning recharging them for about 5-6h and in the mean time will be on the beach ect no way we gonna stay on the boat when its running.
Ahh, yes, one of my favorites – kroozers who vacate their boats in an anchorage when running an engine or generator for charging purposes… Extra points, if you chose to do so an hour or two before sunset…

Trust me, you won't make many new friends among other cruisers in harbors or anchorages if you make such a drill part of your regular routine...

Lashing it to the mast sounds excellent, perhaps with some luck the world will have one less functional portable generator aboard a cruising sailboat by the end of your voyage… (grin)

I’m, a bit perplexed, how significant can your electrical demands be on such a boat? Seems even a modest solar panel could go a long way towards keeping your bank topped up… And, even with only a small alternator coupled to your engine, you are likely to be doing a LOT of motoring on that trip, especially as you get further and further upriver…

Nothing really wrong with a portable generator for emergency back up on a cruising boat (I sometimes carry a Honda 1000, myself), but injudicious or inconsiderate use of them is rapidly becoming the bane of otherwise peaceful anchorages from Maine to the Bahamas, and beyond…

Last edited by JonEisberg; 05-09-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 05-09-2011

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
I'd be leary of leaving something like that running unattended for 5-6 hours on my boat, I know you won't be far most of the time but I've had fuel lines split on a genny before, and other bad things.

What Honda genny do you have, with a charger 5-6 hours should get the batteries up thought bulk charge and will be charging at just a few amps of finishing charge, which you don't need to do every time.
You have about 200AH of batteries so you shouldn't use the lower 100AH, the upper 100AH most batteries are fine with being at 90% if they are being worked, charge to 90% discharge to 50% then recharge to 90% then every week or three fully charge to 100%+,
From 50% TO 90% you can charge at a high rate, so 40 amps so to recharge from 50% to 90% should only take 2 hours, if you can get a charger that will push that hard, at 70+ lbs it sounds like you have a 2500-3000 watt genny that can run a good charger,
Then a small, $100 solar panel will make a big difference in charging the last 10% every day, perticualy if you run the genny in the morning.

Oh yes and also have a good cruise, sounds like a fun trip,
Old 05-09-2011

Hudsonian is on a distinguished road
Cruising on a boat of that size is like camping. I almost never take a dock when cruising and wouldn't think of having a generator aboard. When it gets dark look at the stars or go to bed. Trim your power consumption.
Old 05-09-2011

soyuz is on a distinguished road
My generator is a honda eg 1500c,i am not sure at all how long it would take to recharge both batts cause i never done it before so all is guessing so far.I was worried about the weight on the roof and all that but i found a safe spot where i can put it inside the boat where its safe.I understand advise to go with solar panels may put 1 but i still need the big recharge power.JON i am not taking the st-laurent i am in baie-des-chaleurs so we avoid engine most we can also i would never run the Gen when peps are around, we will cruise in realy quiet zones where you barely see any boat all day never mind sailling one.
thanks for the advice guys.
Old 05-09-2011
Dutchman

EJO is on a distinguished road
Solar panels work when there is sun, which is great for you people on the West Coast and South/SE Coasts, but here in the "Northern" part of the country we don't see much strong sun that often, so use your gennie, strapped to the mast and keep your consumption to a minimum.

I want to live and sail forever, so far so good[/SIGPIC]
Old 05-10-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
If you strap it on the foredeck, it will be wetted with salt water, which will require that you put it in something waterproof. I would think that salt moisture would find its way past a simply cover and oxidation would be rapid. It might last the two months, but that is pretty expensive to ruin a generator for the trip.

Have you considered selling the genset to fund a small solar array? I would think you would have very limited needs and it wouldn't need to be all that large or sophisticated. You might even get away with a portable setup.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.