Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2011

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
I just looked that genny up, nice little thing, as to running it on the cabintop, make sure the feet are in good shape and maybe think about making a bit of a cradle/rack/ to keep it from trying to walk about, say a pair of 2X4s with a shallow hole for each foot, then a square of 2X4 on each end cut to match the deck. Would hate to have it vibirate the deck apart if it set up a harmonic.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyuz View Post
.JON i am not taking the st-laurent i am in baie-des-chaleurs so we avoid engine most we can also i would never run the Gen when peps are around, we will cruise in realy quiet zones where you barely see any boat all day never mind sailling one.
thanks for the advice guys.
My apologies, I don’t know how I got that impression from what your wrote… That’s what I get for posting before my second cup of coffee kicks in, I suppose (grin)

Yours is bound to be a very nice cruise… Are you thinking of trying to get out to the Magdalens, by any chance? Although the number of harbors is somewhat limited, it’s a marvelous place, much more interesting than PEI, in my opinion… Even just hanging out in Havre Aubert for a week or so is well worth it, I found those islands to be fascinating…

Don’t miss the Bras d’Or lakes, of course… Maybe just me, but running a portable generator in a place as tranquil as that just seems wrong, even with no one around (grin)
Old 05-10-2011

ftldiver is on a distinguished road
THIS:
Building your own generator.
Old 05-10-2011

soyuz is on a distinguished road
P35 where did you found the specs for the Gen i did look but dident find anything usefull. Like i said before she is gonna go inside the ship just under the sink there is a huge spot we never use gonna have to built a cradle, cant have the thing moving inside the ship... sounds like looking for problems. Jon i went to madelaine island last year and you are right it is a really nice place but i want to explore thats why i am going in the maritime.Lac bras d'or is the place we are talking about since last summer so cant wait to check it out.There is a link from us last summer lots shots wher taken from the madelaine island.
fair wind.
YouTube - tanzer 7.5
Old 05-11-2011

P35juniper is on a distinguished road
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/p...ls/3187101.pdf
Old 05-11-2011
SailAway

maccauley123 is on a distinguished road
As I read this my thought was to build a cabinet out of plywood that could hold the generator and be secured to deck. With this approach you could add some sound proofing insulation on the inside to keep the noise down. Would just need I think to design it so the engine gets enough ventilation and does not get too hot. I don't see why it would not work since my diesel is closed up inside the boat in a pretty small space. Could even get fancy and maybe build a small fan into the box that will pull exhaust fumes out and direct them away from the boat. A plywood box glassed together would be pretty simple to make and do pretty far in protecting the generator from the elements. I plan on taking a long cruise on my 29 footer and your idea has spawned some ideas for me about how to stow a small generator.

Get out there!

Saco Bay, Maine
1971 Ericson 29