SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Generator On A 25 Feet Boat ? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/74231-generator-25-feet-boat.html)

soyuz 05-07-2011 04:50 PM

Generator On A 25 Feet Boat ?

hi everyone, i am planning to cruise from the gaspe peninsula to halifax this summer.Since i have a realy limited budget and i dont want to go to marinas in order to recharge my batteries (trip will last 2 months) so i have a honda geni that weight 70 pounds, i cant get the thing inside since the ship is to small. Would it be crazy to strap it good in front of the mast??? can i do that ?

pistonbully 05-07-2011 04:54 PM

Noise,, More gas,, weight,, could lose over board ,, what i it breaks and you have no power regeneration? I would stick with solar..

I think the noise would be the biggest draw back for me.

soyuz 05-07-2011 04:59 PM

yes solar would be perfect but cant afford it.I have a small generator from my outboard that generate power but again would take hours to recharge my bats.
just wondering in front of the mast if there any danger that i dident think ov.

pistonbully 05-07-2011 05:18 PM

Ohhh,, I see now,,

It might be the best way for you to get the job done then.. But I still might be worried about it breaking down on underway.

tommays 05-07-2011 06:53 PM

I would think the constant wetness on a genset lashed near the mast would cause problems with it as most people use the small Honda they can stow below in bad weather

hellosailor 05-07-2011 06:54 PM

Well,aside from the exhaust filling the boat with carbon monoxide? Probably no danger, it weighs about the same thing as a small crew sitting on top of the cabin. Not good in rough weather, but I wouldn't call that unsafe per se.

The monoxide though...that might scare me.

soyuz 05-07-2011 07:17 PM

sorry i guess i dident make myself clear enough, i mean tied to the mast but out side the boat, on the roof kinda....i found 1 spot i can put it inside where its safe but putting it out and in back and forth seems alot of work to me :D

messer999 05-07-2011 08:14 PM

Go for it. With your present $$ situation looks like it's your best option. I am assuming this is a temporary situation so yeah go ahead and secure it to the mast and keep it well covered when not in use. Solar would be a better option once you build up your equipment kitty. Last note, just don't run your genny when you are anchored next to me. LOL

SlowButSteady 05-07-2011 09:27 PM

You would be a lot better off to get whatever solar panel(s) you can afford, and limit your electrical use to a bare minimum.

P35juniper 05-08-2011 08:12 AM

Do you have a big charger to run off the genny or were you planning to use the DC out from it, I'd get the biggest charger that the genny will run, so as you don't need to run it that long, on a day to day basis you don't need to recharge to 100% 80-90% is good, just don't go lower then 50%, then fully charge once a week or there abouts, say if you stay at a dock every other week to fully charge overnite or if you have 4-5 hours of running the outboard.
How big is the house bank? and what type battery?