Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
First sail of the season on a time share boat

Monday, May 2, 2011 was the first day of the time-share sailing season begins. This season we have 10 captains instead of 9 sharing this boat this year. The first few days no one took the boat out, so the boat moored at the deck alone and be sad. I took the advantage of open slots and went sailing with my wife on Thursday.

We arrived late at nite on Wednesday. Moved our stuff on board. Despite the darkness, I felt good about condition of the boat. It was sparkly clean and smelling fresh. Woke up in the morning and go on the deck, everything was so shinny and clean. We set off without a hitch from our slip despite a stiff wind . On our way to the Bay from where we are at Back Creek, there was a sailing boat anchored in the middle of the narrow channel. I proceed with caution and suddenly realized a electrical cable running from his boat to the other side (northeast side of the creek) of the sailboat there. I immediately slowed down my boat and took a sharp turn to starboard. The water is shallow as our boat edge passed inside the green makers.

Well, a little excitement wouldn't hurt and as it reminds me to be alert. The wind was blowing hard at 13 to 18 knot from northwest and the sun was bright. It was a perfect day to kick off the first day of sail of the season. We were doing great with 6 to 8.5 kn SOG. It was faster than our hull speed. I guess the current was pushing us along.

As we sailing south toward Knapps Narrows, the sea became rough and wind was blowing 20 to 28 kn. Wifey got sick so I decided to turn around. It was too much wind I needed to reduce the sails to keep the keeling under control. As I passed Thomas Point Lighthouse, the wind was just blowing direct from Annapolis. Wifey was still not doing well, so I dropped the sails and motor to Annapolis. It took me 4 trials to get into the slip single handed. The 15 kn wind is blowing beam reach on my port side, I believe there was some current too. The good thing was no one is watching or videotaping.

We packed, hosed off the deck, and lock her up and then we went out for dinner. As a part time sailor, the time-share arrangement works very well for us.

Here are a few photos and video clip.

YouTube - 110505 First Sail in 2011.MOV

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.

Last edited by rockDAWG; 05-08-2011 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-08-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Wow!!! Great shots dawg!!! What a beautiful boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 05-08-2011
Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da :)

Sixpoint is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Wow!!! Great shots dawg!!! What a beautiful boat.
What he said.

Sounds like a great day, all in all.
Old 05-09-2011

Bowedtoothdoc is on a distinguished road
Just came across this thread. How did you get into the time share arrangement?
I am interested in doing the same thing.
Old 05-09-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Looks awesome rockD! Though, that winch handle looks ready to jump in the water... I hear they have a knack of doing that.

Will watch your vid at home as work blocks YouTube.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

Old 05-09-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Nice photos Dog. You reminded me to post my first sail story from yesterday.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-09-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Captains, thanks for the kind words. She is nice boat for the bay sailing. In the the hot humid summer days, we really appreciate the AC powered by the 2nd gen. But just remember she is NOT mine.

Bowedtoothdoc: It is a time-share arrangement that we can renew every year. Everything is covered with full insurance ($500 deductible). We do no maintenance, no pump out and no refueling. She is ready to set sail when it is time for us to sail. The cost is about the same as the annual slip fee at Annapolis. The marina we are at is real nice with in ground pool, BBQ and nice new bath house and a restaurant. Most importantly, it only take less than 3 min to the sailing ground.

We are spoiled by the nice amenities of this. Only the bad thing is we can't name our own boat. . PM me if you have any questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb32863 View Post
Looks awesome rockD! Though, that winch handle looks ready to jump in the water... I hear they have a knack of doing that.

Will watch your vid at home as work blocks YouTube.

Hahaha..... haven't had any luck losing my winch handle yet. I tend to be sloppy when I sail by myself. Besides, I was busy looking for mermaid. :P

Note to self: Tidy her up before taking pics.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-09-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Quote:
Originally Posted by treilley View Post
Nice photos Dog. You reminded me to post my first sail story from yesterday.
Yeah....... Where were the pics ...... hehehe.

Love your 40 LRC, my dream boat.

Fine Print: