Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011

deadchest is on a distinguished road
Heaving to.....what gives.

Ok, so technically I'm a newbie; but I've been reading threads on Sailnet for several years and have learned a great deal by reading what others have posted. However, I've consistently come across inconsistent info as it pertains to the proper heave to methods.

My ASA instructors all state that the main must be luffed in order to maintain the vessel in the heave to position. But I keep reading in different forums and websites like sailonline and ehow, that you must sheet in the mainsail and bring it tight to midship. So what gives? Which is it? Do we luff the main or sheet it in tight. Is there one preferred over the other in light air verses heavy weather?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-12-2011
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
When Heaving To, keep the jib tight on what ever tack you are on, then tack, don't touch the jib sheet, ease the main. Your instructors are right.
Old 05-12-2011

Tempest is on a distinguished road
In my experience, each vessel will behave differently, depending upon the wind, current and the amount of sail you have up.

You have to experiment with this under all those varying conditions to strike the right balance

It's about balance: headsail, rudder, wind, current etc.

I will heave-to in order to reef the main. To do that, I need to take the pressure off the main. I also need to have the genoa furled properly for the conditions. If I have too much headsail out, she will not settle in.

If you have the right balance of headsail and rudder, you can luff the main..
( not flog).

There are times when you may need a little drive from the main.
I don't think you can apply a hard and fast rule.
blowinstink likes this.
Old 05-12-2011

nolatom will become famous soon enough
You have to experiment til you get it 'right' for your boat and the wind conditions, but in general, I'll have the main tight enough that it fills when we come down to a close reach, then mostly luffs when we come up to close-hauled. tiller tied down about halfway to lee.

What's key is that the main and jib alternate as the predominant wind force so the boat gently and slightly rotates around the CLR "pivot point"--rotate up, main partially luffs and so the backed jib becomes the dominant lateral force--which rotates you back to leeward, when the main fills and becomes the dominant force--which turns you back to windward, where the jib's again dominant, then repeat, repeat, repeat, alternating weather helm effect with lee helm.

You can adjust mainsheet and tiller to minimize the "scalloping" course to nearly steady and minimize luffing (and wear) on the main, but the principle remains the same.

For light air, we assume you have full sail up. for heavy air, you have to have reduced sail area since minimizing heeling is a big factor. Again, keep adjusting main, jib, tiller, and even changing sail size if necessary, to get the good balance.

When I'm out with students. we'll heave to on purpose, or after a blown tack since we're already ''there". Then we'll practice knot-tying so they'll appreciate the "free hands" heaving-to gives you.

Last edited by nolatom; 05-12-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-12-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
One of the amazing things about heaving to is the sudden quiet and calm (in reasonable conditions)... luffing the main could be noisy and cause extra wear and tear.

However it is about balance, as has been mentioned. In our experience the main is quieted but not necessarily centered but there are plenty of variables here.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-12-2011
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough
As stated above, every boat reacts differently, therefore there are no rules etched in concrete. I just finished reading an incredible book "Storm Tactics Handbook" Modern Methods of heaving to for survival in extreme conditions. The book was written by Lin and Larry Pardey, who clearly define the techniques and benefits of learning how to heave to properly. I think the most amazing part of the book is where they're heaved to in winds with sustained speeds of 80 knots (force 12) for two days, during which time the boat's turbulence actually becalmed the encroaching seas. I think this is one of those books that should be onboard at all times, especially if you are intending to do any bluewater cruising.

Gary
Old 05-12-2011

Thank you very much for the input. I think "Tempest" and "Nolotom" made the point I was most concerned with. "luff the main (not flog)". I happened to be in Tampa Bay (for an ASA 101 course believe it or not) with constant 25 knts gusting to 30 knts. No kidding. We decided to heave to for lunch and I watched that poor main flapping around like an insane flag and the boom vang working double time. After lunch, I noticed a vertical tear towards the leach of the main. Needless to say, it left a bad taste in my mouth as it pertains to luffing the main during a heave to maneuver.

It makes sense, though. Luff it. but not having it flap around. Balance.

Thanks again.
Old 05-12-2011

correction: "leech" not "leach"
Old 05-12-2011

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
It is also important to understand that when heaving-to in heavy winds that the reefing of the main must be commensurates with the wind strength and in really heavy winds dousing the main may be required.

If you accidentally 'roll out' of the heave-to by gybing, too large a main is going to cause damage.

Phil
Old 05-12-2011

Yorksailor,
That's a good point to keep in mind.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.