Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingforfun View Post
using the formula, that boat capacity is 11; so much for all the mean comments that the "kids" overloaded the boat. Maybe the CG's formula is the problem
Sailingforfun,
When I posted that these were simply "kids" my point was to attempt to rein in the rhetoric without being preechy. I think there was trending a tendancy toward some rather harsh commentary and was trying to steer it back around to the tragedy that two young people were lost and that there are two families out there suffering those losses.

When I stated that this was a group of "kids" I did so paternalistically, I have children this age and I do recognise that they are adults, I also recognise that "young adults" do not view risk as many of us older folks do which is a large reason why militaries around the world are mostly comprised of twenty-somethings, IMHO.

No offense intended. My sincere condolences to their families.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2011
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorNate View Post
Twenty year olds are not kids. Infantilizing them makes the problem worse. Makes me think how capricious and arbitrary it is that I am here and others, better men than me, are not. I have surely transgressed worse than these boaters, but yet, here I am.

My condolences to the families.

Nate
Nate,
I am probably not the only person on the face of the earth that feels that twenty year olds are not operating at the same level of maturity and responsibility as older adults. The American Academy of Pediatrics will confirm this view with a simple Google search confirming that brain function is still developing in early twenties much more similar to teens than to older adults. Look at accident statistics, actuarial science, or any host of other readily available data to confirm that twenty year olds do not operate as a group as cautiously and thoughtfully as older folks.

Calling them "kids" was done paternally, not "infantilising" them. For what it is worth, at their age I was a veteran and squad leader in the Army, my son that age is a NCO. I have been a "bullet proof kid" and have raised the same regardles of how much I try to convince them otherwise. Many of us do not appreciate our mortality until we have put a few more years behind us. That was my only point calling this group "kids." Recognising youth for what it is is a far cry from infantilising them.

Last edited by Silvio; 05-18-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-18-2011

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
FWIW, every time I hear a story like this I'm just glad my son got through those years OK.

Will the list members who DIDN'T do dumb crap in their teens please raise their hands. What no hands? Yep, thought so...

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Old 05-18-2011
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcGee View Post
FWIW, every time I hear a story like this I'm just glad my son got through those years OK.

Will the list members who DIDN'T do dumb crap in their teens please raise their hands. What no hands? Yep, thought so...
When I was your age I walked to school, up hill, both ways, barefoot, in the snow, with a load of firewood in my arms.

It's sad that this ended in tragedy. However, those pointing fingers and throwing stones are suffering from selective memory.
Old 05-18-2011

fendertweed is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailguy40 View Post
On capacity, how about 1 person for every 5ft of boat?

not bad .. 5-6 on my Pearson 26 is a full load, 4 in the cockpit makes it tight plus maybe a couple of others at the bow or in the cabin... any more is crazy jampacked imo.

Pearson 26 #1200
Old 05-18-2011

omaho5 is on a distinguished road
The gentleman that said, "Let them drown." obviously never lost a child.
He lost his humanity. Kids do some very stupid things....Adults, too.
Many pay with ther lives. Very sad.
Old 05-18-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
You may take my statement out of context, but way

I am sorry if I have stepped on your toes. It is absolutely sad when parents have to attend funeral of their child. But yet, it is the responsibility of the parent mind their own children and instill social responsibly in the head in a young age. It is not the school's responsibility.

Partying, drinking and operating a boat is just plain stupid. If this happened to a young man, I blamed the parent. If they love their children, then take care of them away from harm.

In my career for the last 30 years, I have saved and improved the quality of others. I have not lost the humanity in me. In fact, as I grow older my passion in improving the quality of life grows stronger. The is way i have not retired yet because there are so much to do.

Kids don't some very stupid things. because it is not programed in their genes. It is the influence they gain from the surrounding. If you are old enough to have kids, then you are old enough to care for them. Show them the proper way, instills value in their head. Don't blame the government, the internet, or Obama. Take care your own, especially your kids.

Again, I am sorry to step on yours toes. All the best and hope you find peace in your heart.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-18-2011

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Yes, parents are responsible for their kids. These, as I understand it, were young adults in their 20s. They should no longer be subject to complete parental supervision. We routinely have very mature adults do incredibly stupid things. The news is full of these stories.

I feel for their families and friends. I lost a college friend to a boating accident about two months after we all graduated. A midnight harbor cruise with 3 couples. They hit a marker in the dark and Tommy fell overboard and they lost him. Bad stuff happens. Really bad.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 05-18-2011
Bristol 29.9

Maverick1958 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Maverick1958
Damn shame. My 22 only holds 2 people I don't know what the boats maximum capacity truly is, but for me it's 2
Old 05-18-2011

pistonbully is on a distinguished road
I like how every one keeps saying "Kids" Um, they were adults. And as adults they should be held accountable for their actions. people are dead..I hope someone went to jail..