Ship it, Sail it, or Pay a Professional to Sail it? - Page 2 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2011

dhays is on a distinguished road
Bluewatergirl, Sailing the boat north would be a great experience. If you really have the time and inclination to do it, can afford a delivery Captain to go with you, and can afford to make your new boat sea-worthy for the trip, go for it.

However, there is a lot to consider. The Oregon and Washington coast can be really nasty in bad weather. The problem is that if the weather is really bad, many of the ports on the coast can be impossible or too dangerous to enter. Given this, you need a good weather window.

My $10k estimate for shipping is just a rough guess. If you can yours can decommission the boat, then commission it on this end, you would save a lot of money. OTOH, you can easily get a quote from a local yard in SD as to what the cost would be to decommission the boat, and check with local yards and riggers here to do the commissioning. I could have done it cheaper, but time was a real issue for me and I decided to go with yards and riggers that I had a lot of confidence in. If I spent an extra boat buck in the process, it was worth it to me. You may be able to do it cheaper.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
One way of doing this trip and propably the way I would go if I had to sail it would be two long tacks.

Tack 1 San Diego to Hawaii

Tack 2 Hawaii to Pudget sound.

But I still think the I5 is favourite.
Old 05-14-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
I tend to agree with TQA, going north is a long uphill slog on the west coast. I haven't done it but if you look at prevailing winds and currents along the coast you are going to be beating into wind and waves all the way so you will probably be motoring, a lot.
The boat trucking companies are hurting so you should be able to cut a pretty good deal. My son got a quote of $9500 from NC to Anacortes, not including yard expenses at each end. It shouldn't be more than a thousand at each end of the trip. It is a lot of work to prepare the boat for transport though, you would want to be there and do it yourself if you choose this route. Everything has to be secured, and you should wrap winches, etc in plastic wrap and duct tape, and the entire mast should be bubble wrapped and plastic wrapped and cushioned with carpet rems where it contacts the trailer.
Don't underestimate the trip from SD to JDFuca, a lot of people have started and turned around after realizing that it's going to take forever (well, that might be an exaggeration:-))

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 05-14-2011

Flybyknight is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Denise,
Hell, here in the mid Atlantic area they've tried to convince me sailing Delaware bay is more life threatening then sailing up the Jersey coast.
Dear Lady,
It Is!
Bottom structure makes for some white knuckle wave heights and shapes.
Friend was on a 44' Pilot Boat that got slammed and wound up being spun around 180 degrees.

Dick
Old 05-14-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluewaterGirl View Post
I remember living with some oddballs in college and I had to grow up and adapt in order to make it work, so you may just have a point there. However, as a high school teacher, I am pretty adept at commanding some strong (and occasionally oppositional) personalities .

Thanks again everyone,
Denise
Adapting to an oddball or problematic personality in a college dorm where you can take a walk or go to a movie for a break is an entirely different thing from being literally trapped aboard the small space that is a boat at sea - even if it is your own boat.

The advice you've been getting from west coasters and other experienced ocean sailors has a pretty common theme. TQA's 'two tack' suggestion is not a joke (though you'll probably have to flip to port tack at some point on the second leg to lay Juan de Fuca - so it might be 3 tacks overall ) - or just do two tacks, explore Alaska and the BC coast on your way back to Puget Sound.....

We know two sets of friends that recently made that trip going South.. even that was cold and miserable (in July/August) until you get as far south as the California border. My own experience on a similar leg to Northern Cali in July was the same.

All the harbours between Juan de Fuca and San Fran are not foul weather entries - if/when you need the shelter most you won't be able to get in without significant risk. (Google 'columbia bar' for some insight)

I suspect that given the odds of waiting for weather windows and the generally slow progress heading northwest, the route via Hawaii may be just as quick, esp if you don't dawdle there (though why wouldn't you??)

Tough call.... it's going to cost you something either way. Best of luck.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 05-14-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2011

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
SOme friends just bought a 49' Kroger? granted a power boat, ment for ocean work........but it is coming to Victoria BC via boat, ala a dry dock BIG boat, your boat floats on, the BIG boat drydocks, then away the boat goes. It was about the same as trucking, IRC it will be up here about late June or July.

Might look at that option, no rig decommissioning, Recommission up here etc.

Marty
Old 05-15-2011
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Marty just reminded me... one of the couples I mentioned that went south a few years back are, as we 'type', placing their Passport 40 on a ship in La Paz to bring it back to BC. Having done the trip down, and deciding that ocean crossing was not on their 'to do' list, clearly sailing back home wasn't either.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 05-15-2011
Sailing fool!!!

headcaseracer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to headcaseracer
In my humble opinion, I would just plan well. I think you could do the trip by yourselves. Make two plans. One plan for everything going perfectly and one for if it all goes wrong. If the weather is going to turn ugly, then you have a backup plan. For example, I'm bringing a boat from Chicago to South Haven on Lake Michigan. I plan on making one stop, however, because it's an untested boat (and you are an untested crew), I know which ports are on the way that I can stop at, just in case. The nice thing about the Pacific is that it's fairly consistent. My wife and I have sailed quite a bit around San Diego all the way up to LA. We enjoy the Pacific. Hope for the best, plan for the worst and you'll be fine.
Old 05-15-2011
SV Skalliwag #141

brokesailor is on a distinguished road
I had a boat shipped from Kemah, Tx to Maryland two months ago. The boat is still sitting in the boatyard awaiting recommissioning. The quotes for getting the boat ready to ship was way off,or the selling broker just flat out lied to me, it cost twice as much to prep. The shipment cost me $5K and who knows how much recommissioning will cost me. I disagree with hiring a captain will cost the same as shipping. If I were you I would hire a captain and go with him. You will be a pro by the time you arrive at your destination.
Old 05-15-2011

jimrafford is on a distinguished road
We shipped our 40' sailboat from San Diego to Conn. last August. The shipping was about 10k, the yard bill in San Diego was about 2.5k, the yard did all the work, and about 1k on this end. I did most of the work when the boat arrived here.
You didn't mention the age of the boat and if it' new to you. Something to think about if this boat is new to you. My boat passed it's survey w/ flying colors and almost every system failed in the first month once we started using it here. I'm still working on correcting problems. systems failing offshore would turn the trip into a learning experiance you won't enjoy.
Jim

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.