Ship it, Sail it, or Pay a Professional to Sail it? - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2011
John

ImASonOfaSailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via MSN to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Yahoo to ImASonOfaSailor Send a message via Skype™ to ImASonOfaSailor
Wow i just got my captains license and i have been wondering where to go to use it and how to get started! My only issues are i have never sailed the OCEAN yet! But i have been in 60 knots of wind on Lake Erie on a 33 ft abbott! My first thoughts on reading all this is the weather i live on the east coast so the jet stream comes from your way so i cant imagine what you would run into.. If i was doing this trip i would have to get on your boat with you guys and talk and sail it with you around your bay area just so we could go through some things! I would have to know if the instruments are new and working, i would have to know how many days this would take, but we could look at a chart and figure all that out! The current is a big deal too. depending on the wind and current and drift will determine how many tacks you do! I personally have no idea how BIG the waves can get! Of course we need safety you would have to let the USCG know your destination just be safe! I have been sailing on inland lakes since i was 15 years old and racing in all kinds of weather! I guess now you can call me a paper captain without the ocean experience but it sounds like a awesome trip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"""Here's a toast to you on the coast and the sailors out at sea Drink your ales, hoist your sails Ride the windssssssssss and think of me,,,,,,,,,, 'cause Oh I wish I was there tonight"""
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
I am friends with a boat broker in Oak Harbor, WA, who has done many deliveries, including ocean passages. I forwarded him a link to this thread. PM me if you want a skipper to join you and I'll forward contact info so you can interview him.

[Never mind, I just learned that the guy stopped doing long distance deliveries when he started his brokerage. He can't leave his brokerage business unattended for such a long period of time.]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 05-19-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASonOfaSailor View Post
Wow i just got my captains license and i have been wondering where to go to use it and how to get started!
May I respectfully suggest some more practical experience before taking on a delivery as skipper. Sign up with a crewing service like OPO and get some ocean miles.

The jet stream certainly pushes the lows around but it is not high on my list of concerns for routing.

New instruments aren't necessarily working and working instruments aren't necessarily new.

A shakedown at the beginning of delivery is reasonable if the boat has been refit, and the crew might need a chance to meld, but YOU shouldn't need a shakedown. Must delivery skippers have an early bailout in case there is a problem with boat or crew.

It is the skippers job, not the client's responsibility to do the routing and make time estimates. It is the skipper's responsibility to be clear that weather and equipment failures have an impact on expected duration.

Oh - you aren't going to plan tacks ahead of time. That is a tactical decision, made underway, not a strategic one.

The USCG does NOT want your float plan. They are very clear on that subject. There are services as well as informal procedures with friends and family to manage float plans.

Congratulations on your new license.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-28-2011

Bcromer is on a distinguished road
Delivery captain

Hi,

I saw your posting and thought I would direct you to my website Safe Passage Marine. I am based in Seattle and would be happy to meet you for coffee to discuss your trip and give you some ideas.

Answers to questions are free if you buy the coffee!

I can help you delivery your boat to Olympia as an instructor/captain and we can talk about what that would cost and how it would work.

My website has my phone number and e-mail address...feel free to call.

Regards,

Brian Cromer