Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Yeah... it's a shame the 400C was discontinued but I did recommend it because it's a great unit. It's now been replaced by the 450 which is more expensive. I recall why I have such great street maps - I bought the 400C with the charts, and then I got the add in chip with the street maps - that way I have both in one unit. I should have mentioned the NiMH approach too - I was just trying to say NOT to use alkalines since you'd only get a few hours of use. There is also a 12v adapter for it, and lots of mounting options. I actually use my 400C as an anchor alarm with a mounting bracket right by my head in my v-berth. Turning tracks on will, over time, give you a spin-art like radius. If you leave that radius, you know you're dragging.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I go with all the posts above which make it obvious how good a choice it is. I also have Garmin 76 as a handheld and as backups and use them for little other than getting a fix and converting it to a paper chart.

Unfortunately I was reading through the New Zealand Cat 1 requirements and the technoclogy has now caught up with common sense. They now require at least one mounted GPS chart plotter and handhelds only permitted as backup. So now I will have to invest in a piece of equipment that I have no use for just to satisfy the bureaucracy.

I guess that's the cost of progress.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-17-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
I go with all the posts above which make it obvious how good a choice it is. I also have Garmin 76 as a handheld and as backups and use them for little other than getting a fix and converting it to a paper chart.

Unfortunately I was reading through the New Zealand Cat 1 requirements and the technoclogy has now caught up with common sense. They now require at least one mounted GPS chart plotter and handhelds only permitted as backup. So now I will have to invest in a piece of equipment that I have no use for just to satisfy the bureaucracy.

Andre,
If you mounted the GPS76 wouldn't that suffice ? You could use the Garmin kit and hardwire the cig socket cable into your electrical panel. That would surely pass muster.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-17-2011
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post

Sounds like a rather silly requirement. If you ask me, chartplotters give folks a false sense of security. Also, a handheld GPS is a much more robust device; it's electrically isolated from the rest of the boat, it's light and physically isolated (a.k.a., it can move rather than have to resist the full impact of something hitting it), and it forces one to look at the actual paper charts (true even with plotter-type handheld, since the screens are so small).
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 05-17-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
I use a Garmin Etrex for backup. Its been dropped overboard, thankfully in the harbour and still working. Very reliable and simple to use. Its in the grab bag when I,m not using it.
Safe sailing
Old 05-17-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Sounds like a rather silly requirement. If you ask me, chartplotters give folks a false sense of security. Also, a handheld GPS is a much more robust device; it's electrically isolated from the rest of the boat, it's light and physically isolated (a.k.a., it can move rather than have to resist the full impact of something hitting it), and it forces one to look at the actual paper charts (true even with plotter-type handheld, since the screens are so small).
Even with a full sized plotter I'd still want a hand held for those just in case moments. We do the same as a lot of you and use the handheld for lat/long then plot on chart. It will be interesting to see if this changes at all with a full size plotter.

We do have chart plotter now installed but to be honest the screen is so absurdly small that we still on really use it for position.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 05-17-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-17-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Although I frequently refer to my Oregon 400c "handheld," I never hold it in my hand. I got the $10 bicycle handlebar mount from Garmin and put it on my pedestal guard. So I only handle it at the beginning and end of each daysail. This is especially important with the Oregon, since it does not float and I have a walk-through transom. Not a good combination, so mounting it is essential.

FYI, the handlebar mount rotates nicely around the pedestal guard, so I can direct the device to minimize sun glare.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 05-17-2011

bornagainsailor is on a distinguished road
Ditto the garmin oregon 400c. picked one up last year on sale at west marine. covers my needs quite well. still use it as a backup to charts. in the event of fog, it should prove very useful.
Old 05-17-2011

fallard is on a distinguished road
The Oregon 450 is the new version of the 400, perhaps with an upgraded compass and you can find it online (Amazon) for $325. You still have to buy the marine chart chip. I bought a 450 6 months ago and paid about $110 for the US chart chip. If you want street maps or topo maps, You'll have to buy more chips.

It's not cheap, but it works very well and has a noticeably higher resolution than the Garmin handhelds you can find at West Marine (for a lot less!)
Old 05-17-2011
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallard View Post
The Oregon 450 is the new version of the 400, perhaps with an upgraded compass...
Yes, the compass is upgraded. You no longer have to hold the unit level to use the compass feature. IIRC, I think it may also have an integrated camera, with lat/lon stamping on the pictures.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)