Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
Sounds like a rather silly requirement. If you ask me, chartplotters give folks a false sense of security. Also, a handheld GPS is a much more robust device; it's electrically isolated from the rest of the boat, it's light and physically isolated (a.k.a., it can move rather than have to resist the full impact of something hitting it), and it forces one to look at the actual paper charts (true even with plotter-type handheld, since the screens are so small).
Sorry to go OT... in the US paper charts are overrated and I consider THEM backup to my chartplotter and PC these days. My PC has the absolute, latest greatest NOAA charts on it using Rosepoint Coastal Navigator. I guess I could spend a lot of money each year to buy updated paper charts, but they may become outdated within a few months of buying them. I can update the chip on my chartplotter yearly for the same price as the paper chartbooks. Don't get me wrong - I carry paper charts for all of the areas we are in, and at night we plot our position on them every 20-30 minutes, but why would you pick paper charts, or a portable GPS with a 3" screen, as a primary navigation device when you can use a full featured chartplotter to show you your position and course, all nav marks around you or ahead of you (without flipping pages), overhead photos of marinas/anchorages/landmarks, integrated radar overlayed on the charts so you can confirm your position relative to nav aids or channels, etc.

I carry a chartplotter, two rail mounted GPS antennas, a radar, a handheld GPS (Garmin Oregon) and my laptop. AND if all that fails I have my paper charts to fall back on - but I would not use them as primary these days (maybe 7-8 years ago I would have used them as primary). I would be comfortable carrying just my chartplotter/radar and paper charts too.

As I said above, though - this is relevant to the US only. In the Bahamas, for example, I primaried off of my paper Explorer charts and used my chartplotter and handheld for lat/long. This is because my Raymarine chartplotter uses Navionics which has horrible Bahamas charts. If it was a Garmin or c-map based plotter I would have primaried off of it.

Anyway... back to regularly scheduled programming...
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Andre,
If you mounted the GPS76 wouldn't that suffice ? You could use the Garmin kit and hardwire the cig socket cable into your electrical panel. That would surely pass muster.
I'll check again but I'm sure the rule said "mounted plotter". I agree with the sentiment that I only use my GPS to get a fix. I have no use for a chart plotter and besides if I mount it it will probably be in the small locker under the V berth because that's the only place I can fit it. The rule hasn't yet got to specifying where the dumb thing needs to be.

Really irritates me when people start to govern my activities (and money) with stupid rules. If it has some merit that's OK but soon enough they will start insisting on everyone wearing those stupid personal EPIRBs too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-18-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
So this comes from the Category 1 requirements list (I have abbreviated it to include only CAT 1)

19.04 NAVIGATION SYSTEMS
(a) Mounted GPS.
(b) Back up GPS.
(c) Second back up GPS OR sextant, timepiece & tables with ability to use.
(d) Echo (Depth) Sounder.
(e) Log or distance measuring instrument.
(f) Radar (recommended)
(g) Barometer.

So they don't make a distinction between a handheld and the "mounted". I guess a permanently "installed" Garmin 76 would be hard to argue with.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke