Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011
Jim A.

TBG is on a distinguished road
Handheld GPS, Old Technology ?

My Magellan handheld GPS has been bounced around the cockpit of my Pearson 30 a few too many times and is in need of replacement. It seems there are far fewer handhelds on the market than there used to be. Is that because of something like I phone apps or tablets or something else I know very little about now can do GPS marine navigation ? If so what are the costs
involved and whats the most economical way to go these days.
Thanks

Technically Challenged on Lake Ontario
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
We got a Garmin handheld GPS/chartplotter for $299 from West Marine; completely pre-loaded with US and Bahamas charts that has met our needs very well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-15-2011

mstern is on a distinguished road
I didn't realize that there were fewer handhelds available now. If so, that is a bad development. Iphones and Ipads are not weatherproof, and in my experience, not reliable enough to function as a primary navigation tool.

I was in the same boat as you (to coin a phrase) a few years ago; my ancient handheld Magellen unit gave up the ghost (it was ten years old!), and needed to be replaced. I didn't need all of the features that the new, color screen handhelds came with, and Garmin had just discontinued the simpler, monochrome unit that I had planned on buying. However, I found the monochrome Garmin on ebay second hand. Wound up getting the like new device plus accessories for about half the cost of new.
Old 05-15-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
The Garmin GPSMAP 76Cx is on sale at WM for $179. I've had mine for 2 years and love it but make sure it's preloaded with the Blue Chart for your area or load it yourself. It works OK without BlueChart if you have local paper charts but we sailed out to an island with lots of submerged rock formations and rocky anchorages that we did not have charts for a couple years ago (kid packed the wrong chart packet) and I don't care to ever repeat that scenario again. We also have smartphones and I would NEVER rely on their GPS mapping for marine navigation, or in any critical situation for that matter.
Old 05-15-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
I have both a Garmin 72 and 76 both work well. I use the 12 volt lead and have it mounted by the wheel.
Old 05-15-2011
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
I highly recommend the Garmin 400C - we use it as a backup to our chart plotter. Full nautical coastal and lake charts (no need to download the area you need), color sunlight readable screen, touch screen, lots of marine info and designed for being on boats. We like ours. There's one on ebay for $265 right now. We looked at the 76Cx and the Oregon and the Oregon is definitely much nicer. It also includes street maps so it can double as a walking or auto GPS (which is why we got it for cruising - real nice to get off the boat and have a handheld GPS to use). Lithium batteries are a must with it though...
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Old 05-15-2011

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Garmin now probably has more handheld GPS options than all GPS vendors 10-15 years back. I'm not sure why you think there are fewer. Magellian may have fewer.
Old 05-15-2011

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
Most of the competition seems to have abandoned the marine handheld market to Garmin. I guess more volume in units for cars and other activities. Never been a fan of trying to use a handheld as a chartplotter. To me a set of paper charts and a handheld GPS with a builtin database of USCG marks to make selection of waypoints a couple of button clicks is the lowcost way to go.
Old 05-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
When we first bought Raven we picked up a Navman Plotter at a show. Had a couple of problems installing it so grabbed a Garmin 72 as a temporary fix and ultimately as a backup. Later we inherited a Garmin Foretrex 101 and that became our backup. With the G72 on a mounting bracket at the wheel and with 12v power cable the thing was so satisfactory that it was only late last year that I sorted out the Navman. If I was to do it all again I think I'd go with a couple of Garmin 7x type units unless I was to go to a large format screen. Neither of our Garmins is waterproof yet both have performed faultlessly.
Sometimes something works so well that you just know that in buying new you would not go anywhere else.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-15-2011
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
I highly recommend the Garmin 400C...There's one on ebay for $265 right now. We looked at the 76Cx and the Oregon and the Oregon is definitely much nicer. It also includes street maps so it can double as a walking or auto GPS (which is why we got it for cruising - real nice to get off the boat and have a handheld GPS to use). Lithium batteries are a must with it though...
FYI, the Oregon 400c has been discontinued, so if you find a good one on ebay for under $300 you should grab it. You can get other Oregon models, but Garmin currently has none with pre-loaded charts, so you'll have to buy the add-on. Sure makes me glad I got one last year when I could.

The street maps near me are very basic - only major highways, which you would not be likely to be walking along when in port. Once again, you can buy more detailed highway maps, but it will cost you as much as many automotive GPS units.

My Oregon works for about 8 hours on rechargeable NiMH batteries. So there are other workable options besides lithium.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.