Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011

davidbutziger is on a distinguished road
Atlantic Crossing - Scotland to NE US

I am planning to relocate an older, small sized Brigantine from Scotland to New England, US. I would like any advice regarding route (Azores or nothern - Iceland, Greenland . . . or other), time to go, and any other comments for my planning. I have extensive blue water experience but not a crossing. Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Head South till the butter melts turn right, sail west 2000 miles or so then North.
Old 05-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
TQA,
The southern route is obviously a lot longer than northern. I really know bugger all about the Atlantic other than what I read but if you chose the Northern route what time of year is best ?

Also, wouldn't the sail north along the US east coast tend to be a hard slog ?

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-15-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
TQA,
The southern route is obviously a lot longer than northern. I really know bugger all about the Atlantic other than what I read but if you chose the Northern route what time of year is best ?

Also, wouldn't the sail north along the US east coast tend to be a hard slog ?
It is all to do with the Azores high and the trade wind belt. The best time is April May when the belt should be well North. If It is delivery it might be possible to skirt just North of the Canaries and head across for about 2000 miles before heading towards Bermuda. From Bermuda to the NE USA you 'should' be in SWs.

The Northerly route is a non starter unless you can motor most of the way.
Old 05-15-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
It is all to do with the Azores high and the trade wind belt. The best time is April May when the belt should be well North. If It is delivery it might be possible to skirt just North of the Canaries and head across for about 2000 miles before heading towards Bermuda. From Bermuda to the NE USA you 'should' be in SWs.

The Northerly route is a non starter unless you can motor most of the way.
I need a copy of the Atlantic crossing guide ..

Northerly .. motor .. lack of wind or too much on the nose ?

I'll find the thing later on but I was reading a book by a young bloke who single handed from UK to Canada (somebody Nicholson from memory) many years back btw. He was definitely in favour of the northern route but then his destination was Canada not US and with what , some 500 nms south west from Newfoundland to New England, that could be a consideration.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 05-16-2011
Bombay Explorer 44

In the end a lot will depend on the departure date chosen for the voyage and the length of time available.

If time was not their master I would suggest Scotland to the Canaries in August/September then Canaries to Bermuda in Aprill/May and on to NE USA.

Another factor is that it is a Brigantine and may not got to weather all that well so downwind or at least a reach is to be preferred.
Old 05-16-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
And the northern route has fog, fishing boats and icebergs! Not a good mix. Also the current runs against, as the Gulf Stream continues across to Ireland. He needs Cornell's World Cruising Routes.
Old 05-16-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Check out the Atlantic Rally for Cruisers leaves the Canaries each year in November and arrives in time Christmas in the Caribbean.
Welcome to World Cruising Club: ARC
Seems wiser to go in company.
Some boats go independently at the same time, presumably to ensure assistance will be available in the event of a mishap.
Safe sailing
Old 05-16-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
In the end a lot will depend on the departure date chosen for the voyage and the length of time available.

If time was not their master I would suggest Scotland to the Canaries in August/September then Canaries to Bermuda in Aprill/May and on to NE USA.

Another factor is that it is a Brigantine and may not got to weather all that well so downwind or at least a reach is to be preferred.
Ah yes, of course, I was judiciously ignoring the Brigantine bit wasn't I ?

Hey Centaur, I know the rally thing seems a sensible idea but I must say that the idea has absolutely zero appeal to me.

Old 05-16-2011

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
And the northern route has fog, fishing boats and icebergs! Not a good mix. Also the current runs against, as the Gulf Stream continues across to Ireland. He needs Cornell's World Cruising Routes.
Not necessarily, he'd be north of the Stream, and carry a favorable spinoff of the Stream towards Iceland, then ride the Irminger and E Greenland current down Denmark Strait, and then the favorable Labrador Current...

Actually, the northern route that was plied by the Vikings for centuries still has quite a bit to recommend it…

The northern route can be broken into a number of relatively short passages, and afford the chance to see some remarkable places along the way… Scotland – Faroes – Iceland – Greenland – Labrador/Newfoundland… Delay the approach to Cap Farvel and the Labrador Sea until August, and in the typical season ice should not be too much of a problem…

Met a guy years ago who had returned from Norway via the Shetlands, Faroes, and so on… He recommended the route highly, thought it was a great way to return from Northern Europe…