Getting back into an inflatable - SailNet Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 05-17-2011 Thread Starter

Getting back into an inflatable

Hi all,

We have an 11 ft Achilles inflatble we use for our tender. It has a 9.8hp outboard so it has enough umph to pull a tube which the kids love to ride on. The only issue I have is getting them out of the water back into the tender as we change riders (usually we shift them right out of the tender to the tube, but we "miss" every now and then).

I get grab the kids and pull them in, but was wondering if there is some kind of net or ladder made specfically for tenders that aids in getting people in and out of the water.

Any help would be great.
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-17-2011

A bit pricey but they do look nice.

Seafaring Up-N-Out Wide Step Boarding Ladder - $210.00 : Seafaring Ship's Store, Latitudes & Attitudes

"When in command, command." -- Admiral Nimitz

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
post #3 of 16 Old 05-17-2011
TQA
Bombay Explorer 44

I made one in an hour 3 slats with holes and some knotted rope. It lives in the dink [ Caribe C10 ] and is tied to the inside of the transom. I deploy it over one tube and have another knotted rope tied to the otherside of the transom to pull on.

I CAN just get back in to the dink with out it and was worried about maybe being tired or having a strained arm muscle and not managing it some day.
post #4 of 16 Old 05-17-2011
Courtney the Dancer

Like TQA I made one but opted for the economy model, just two loops of line for two "steps". I may have to upgrade to the deluxe model and add slats!

John
SV Laurie Anne

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

post #5 of 16 Old 05-18-2011
October Moon B43

Check either West or Defender. One of them has a plastic step with lines and clips on each end to attach to the dink. Works well and not too expensive.
post #6 of 16 Old 05-18-2011

This might not work with your kids but If I remember right, the SEALs use a simple loop and a stick...just whiz by and scoop 'em right into the boat.

'79 San Juan 7.7
Joe Pool Lake
DFW area TX
Sailing year 'round
(Not up North)
post #7 of 16 Old 05-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgkenney View Post
Hi all,

We have an 11 ft Achilles inflatble we use for our tender. It has a 9.8hp outboard so it has enough umph to pull a tube which the kids love to ride on. The only issue I have is getting them out of the water back into the tender as we change riders (usually we shift them right out of the tender to the tube, but we "miss" every now and then).

I get grab the kids and pull them in, but was wondering if there is some kind of net or ladder made specfically for tenders that aids in getting people in and out of the water.

Any help would be great.
Please tell me that you TURN the motor OFF everytime you transfer the kids to and from the water. Hate the thought of the prop and child coming into contact.
post #8 of 16 Old 05-18-2011

There are a number of dinghy boarding ladders/straps out there. Besides West, you might check Defender. It might not matter with kids, but as you get older, it's nice to have a hand-hold.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-20-2011 Thread Starter

Thanks all,

Looks like a simple homemade version my work fine. I'll play with some of the ideas you guys gave me here. I think I can fashion a rope ladder that work.

And yes, of course I turn the motor off when I pick up the kids.
post #10 of 16 Old 05-21-2011

Yea, the homemade should work great for you.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.