Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
The greatness of Sailnet member DavidPM

Last weekend we moved our boat from Glen Cove to Montauk. We spent the winter in Glen Cove (with occasional trips to Stamford) and the marina siad they had no room for us to stay an extra 3 weeks (for $1,000). Actually they said, "We'd love to take your money, but we have no room."

So I called DavidPM and he made the trip with my son, my son's friend, and me. Firstly, it was great to only have to make one call. In the past I've posted for crew on Sailnet and got good responses from competent crew. I knew we needed one more person for the trip this time.

Plan A was to stay in Port Jefferson overnight and depart at first light. Plan B was to go through the night. Our float plan with David's wife (and communications with my son's friend's parents) indicated those 2 plans ahead of time. Prior to departure, because of forecast lousy weather (rain) the next day, we decided to execute Plan B.

On my watch, I let David sleep a little extra. I needed to do some project clean-up before hitting the sack. After that, I simply thought he could use the extra sleep. There were no other boats on the sound except for the Port Jeff Ferry, whom I talked with, to make sure I was staying out of her way.

David took over at 11:30 PM. It started raining soon after. I brought him microwaved hot soup at 12:30. Then I slept. He had the helm while it rained.

David had the helm until 6:00 AM, letting me sleep extra. Either that, or he wanted to do Plum Gut on his own in calm conditions. The rain had stopped; the visibility was excellent.

He's an incredible asset to any sailing trip.

David has logged many miles since he first joined us for the "Sailnet" trip 2+ years ago, where we had a crew gathered from this forum and 50 knot winds in the sound for most of the trip. He has a good sense of wisdom, and inherent caution. He's nickname is "The Sailing Sherpa" because he'll help get you and your boat to it's destination, while he builds sea-days for his captain's license.

If you want some help with a trip, I highly recommend him. For now, it will only cost you some sandwiches, canned soup, snacks and ginger ale. Once he get's his license he'll probably charge something more. I hope so, he's worth it.

Regards,
Brad

Full disclosure: I'm not related to David, not related to any of his friends, etc. He didn't know ahead of time that I'm posting this.

There are some pictures of the trip in other people's cameras, just not mine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-18-2011

justified is on a distinguished road
Brad
Glad to hear that you made the trip, weather didn't sound great but you most certainly had excellent crew with David on board. Have an excellent summer with your family. if you need help in the fall give me a call I'll be available, I have my license and don't charge more than David does now. Had to sell my boat
Peter
Old 05-19-2011

WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Brad, thanks for the report. I like David too!
Old 05-19-2011
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Man I wish I could do a trip with you guys! I know where you keep the tequila!

DavidPM - "The Sailing Sherpa". It doesn't get better than that dude.

PS - do you scratch him behind the ears much, Bene?

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 05-19-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Ahh these are the post's that are gravy on the tatters
Old 05-20-2011
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by justified View Post
Brad
Glad to hear that you made the trip, weather didn't sound great but you most certainly had excellent crew with David on board. Have an excellent summer with your family. if you need help in the fall give me a call I'll be available, I have my license and don't charge more than David does now. Had to sell my boat
Peter
Peter,

Sorry about your boatlessness.

Yes, the weather wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. (At least the parts I saw.) Thanks for the offer for the fall. My plan is to do the trip back in mid September, haul the boat, work on the bottom and then put her back in the water for the winter. It was a lot of fun being in the water, as you know.

WS -- we need a mid-winter meet-up somewhere. Maybe New Year's weekend mid sound?

Regards,
Brad
. .
. .
Old 05-21-2011

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Hi Brad, I'll vouch for David PM(and you) as well, felt very comfortable sailing with you two last January on LI sound
with wind around 30 knots.
Would have been happy to help with your "repositioning cruise" but was helping a friend deliver his new to him
boat up to Maine...boy we could have used David PM!
Best, Hugo