SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Your preferred Ipad/Ipod/Android SAILING Apps? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/74612-your-preferred-ipad-ipod-android-sailing-apps.html)

Dreamstimer 05-20-2011 03:08 AM

Your preferred Ipad/Ipod/Android SAILING Apps?

What are your preferred and useful apps to use besides the traditional? I found Windguru to be pretty useful with a good and detailed forecast for my area.
Wondering what do you use...

RainDog 05-20-2011 05:13 AM

WindFinder
ActiveCaptain
Cruisers Forum

tommays 05-20-2011 10:40 AM

You-Tack Pro for racing rules

wgkenney 05-20-2011 11:12 AM

I don't have AIS on my boat so I like "ship finder" for my iphone (i think it works on Ipad as well)

sailortjk1 05-20-2011 11:18 AM

Navionics, Marine Weather by Bluefin, Radar Now

LinekinBayCD 06-02-2011 06:36 AM

Just got an iPhone too weeks ago. I feel like I just came out of the stone ages. For $7.99 Navionics Marine & Lakes is amazing. Charts,tides, currents, POI's. Not a substitute for a chartplotter because of screen size, not weather proof, battery life and in general not as rugged as a dedicated chartplotter but still great.

Accuweather's radar maps, seem to be pretty up to the minute and free.

Knot Guide, also free. Not animated butstep by step guides for many, many knots. 30+ sailing knots.

jackdale 06-02-2011 11:23 AM

GPS Test
Marine Traffic (more of a toy)
mobile GRIB
NutiCharts
Navionics
WeatherEye

I also use my Android browser for some weather sites:
PredictWind
BuoyWeather
NOAA
Environment Canada, etc..

erps 06-02-2011 12:02 PM

I also like Navionics. Use if for tides and currents all the time. For $15 bucks, got all the charts for the entire west coast US along with tides and currents, about the same price as a single paper chart. Don't have to have a cell phone signal to use it either.

LinekinBayCD 06-02-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 736583)
I also like Navionics. Use if for tides and currents all the time. For $15 bucks, got all the charts for the entire west coast US along with tides and currents, about the same price as a single paper chart. Don't have to have a cell phone signal to use it either.

Are you using it with an iPad or iPhone? The Navionics app I'm using is
$7.99 and charts free.

jackdale 06-02-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erps (Post 736583)

A couple of features I really like on the Navionics app:

1) The community; it is possible to correct / amend the charts, Navionics will verify the the corrections and post them

2) Search function; marina phone numbers as well as other amenities are available, such as restaurants. This can also be added to through the community.

I would not use it for "serious" navigation.