Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011

mjthompson is on a distinguished road
small trailerable boat

My experience with sailboats is limited to the 22' Catalina in the Basic Keelboat course a couple of months ago. Now looking to purchase a trailerable sailboat for use on lakes in Arkansas and around Pensacola. Possibly the search has been narrowed down to a new Montgomery 17' or a Flying Scot. Both are highly regarded, but maybe for different reasons? Seeking ideas about the two boats from the broad experience that is evident on this forum. My basic approach to sailing is to have fun - not to particularly get anywhere.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
I guess we need a little more information. Do you plan on daysailing in nice weather with no needs of a cabin to overnight in? The Flying Scott is built for that purpose. If you plan on sleeping on it you will probably want the Monty. Although for most people 17 foot doesnt provide a whole lot of cabin. The Monty will have better stability since it has a weighted keel. Although I think the flying scott has a lot of stability for just having a centerboard.

Both are nice boats but you are right they are built with different purposes in mind. I personally would buy the Monty, but that is just because it would suit my particular needs better.
Old 05-20-2011

Allanbc is on a distinguished road
I used to have a Monty 17 and it is a fine boat. Even if you do not plan on sleeping on the boat, just having somewhere dry to put stuff is really nice. The fact that you can sleep on it opens up more possibilities for you. The Monty handles and sails well and is very stout.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 05-20-2011

Thanks Mark and Allan for responding. As a newbie, a day with gusts exceeding 20 kts this first season is a no sail day - maybe the second season. July and August in Arkansas are usually very light wind conditions if not nearly calm. The argument for the Monty is indeed some cabin space for an overnight. The argument for the Scot seems to be, that once planing it is an exciting sailboat, more so than the Monty - but a capsize does not seem much fun at my age. One thing about looking for a first sailboat is the insidious reasoning toward a bigger boat. But I am holding to the idea of a trailerable boat in order to sail at other locations than Arkansas.
Old 05-20-2011

MarkCK is on a distinguished road
Where do you sail at in Arkansas? Just a curiosity question. I do my sailing on Tablerock.
Old 05-20-2011

When I get a boat it will probably be on Greers Ferry, a 30,000 acre lake. Just passed through Stockton last Sunday and talked to Grand Mariner. Good memories of a fishing trip to Table Rock when I was growing up in Missouri.
Old 05-22-2011

TSchwarck is on a distinguished road
trailerable boat

Ever consider an O'Day/Stuart Mariner? It's a great boat!
Old 05-22-2011

dnf777 is on a distinguished road
Check our Precision Boats. I have their P-15, and its everything they say it is. A pleasure to sail, stable, and very easy to rig and trailer to several of our local lakes.

They make a 165 (link below) with a small cabin, or a slightly larger 18. Both designed for family use and easy trailerability.

Precision Boat Works
Old 05-22-2011

I had given serious consideration to the Stuart Mariner, but had overlooked the Precision. A Precision 165 would be cheaper and much lighter than the Monty 17. To be honest, I prefer the Monty, but it exceeds the towing capacity of our vehicles by about 500 pounds. All the suggestions given have some merit, and thanks for the response. I will decide soon just to get something on the water this summer.
Old 05-22-2011

sailguy40 is on a distinguished road
Why not checkout a small Cat Sailboat?