Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Clockwise or counterclockwise -which way & why?

If you are heading out and sailing around the globe from the east coast, which way is better? A few given conditions are apparent: Southern route, Panama Canal, no fixed time table, and unlikely to be a continuous voyage (breaks from sailing as needed).

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Assuming you prefer sailing downwind, head thru the Carib. to Panama and keep going west, taking advantage of the trades. However, since your sig says you like rough seas, you might want to go the other direction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-21-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Hahah..... Not for this trip. I will seek the safest route and best weather window if I have to sit for months. Self-preservation is the highest priority for this one.

Enjoyed sailing rough seas is solely for preparing this voyage particularly with the presence of the more experience sailors and captain. My fear is the crossing of Indian ocean. I though going west is easier; i guess it will depends on the season.

Just thinking ahead now while taking a break from working at the office.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-21-2011
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Would suggest you get Jimmy Cornell's book on world cruising routes. He includes a couple of hundred routes e.g. Tonga to New Zealand, US to Bermuda, and Cape Horn to Antarctica and suggest what time of year is best, when tropical cyclones might happen, ocean currents, hazards, etc.

It turns out that the where and when is pretty well established. The most common route from the east coast is Panama, Galapagos, French Polynesia, Tonga, NZ for cyclone season, Australia ... and then the big question - do you go north of the equator to the Red Sea and the possibility of pirates or go south to South Africa and deal with the potential for nasty storms. If the former is chosen you are in the Med and will go to the Canaries to cross the Atlantic to the Caribbean (again the hurricane season pretty much determines when you do this - Nov to April). If you have gone to South Africa you go up the Atlantic and either aim for the Caribbean or Europe. A basic circumnav is 3 years but everyone's trip is different (we met a couple who did an 18 year circumnav and there is a world rally that does it in something like 20 months). From Panama we went down the coast of South America to Ecuador and then Galapagos, Easter Island, Pitcairn, and entered FP through the Gambier Islands rather than the more popular Marquesas. From here we will follow a pretty standard route to Oz for the cyclones (my wife does not want to get beat-up (again) going south to NZ.

Get Cornell, fun to read and day dream with.
Old 05-22-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
East to west is the natural way to go because that's the way the trade winds go. When you get to sail in the trades you'll understand the enormity of that fact - they are unbelievably consistent both in windspeed and direction.

Obviously going west to east means that you're going into them and that's not an option unless you really like beating. I sailed the Indian Ocean west to east and can honestly say that nobody of sane mind should try that. Yeah I know - what does that say about me. I know I'll never even contemplate that again.

West to east means Southern Ocean and if you're not aware of the implications of that you have some serious research to do.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Old 05-22-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
If you are heading out and sailing around the globe from the east coast, which way is better? A few given conditions are apparent: Southern route, Panama Canal, no fixed time table, and unlikely to be a continuous voyage (breaks from sailing as needed).
Do you want to do a circumnavigation just to do one, or do you want to visit places?

I have a nagging desire to visit places on my own boat that I have sailed on other boats. When you look at my list of places it doesn't fit into anything like a customary circumnavigation so it may take a while. *grin*

Although I'm not contemplating a classic circumnavigation I find Cornell's World Cruising Routes to be both useful and a pleasant diversion.

Have a great time - enjoy the preparation process - it is part of the fun.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-22-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

Bruce, read about your recent knock down. Job well done and congrats. I will wait for my turn for a knock down, but hope to live and talk about it.

Back to topic. I checked out the Jimmy Cornell's book. No brainer, it is a must read book. Thanks for the name.

With the pirate activities, Red Sea is not an option. I will see how it will be in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
West to east means Southern Ocean and if you're not aware of the implications of that you have some serious research to do.
As now I am thin on this area. But I am confident that I will be well read, physical and mentally prepared before I venture out. After 22 years of formal education including skipping Grades 10 to 12 in HS, doing research is what I do best with unpromising critical thinking skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVAuspicious View Post
Do you want to do a circumnavigation just to do one, or do you want to visit places?

I have a nagging desire to visit places on my own boat that I have sailed on other boats. When you look at my list of places it doesn't fit into anything like a customary circumnavigation so it may take a while. *grin*

Although I'm not contemplating a classic circumnavigation I find Cornell's World Cruising Routes to be both useful and a pleasant diversion.

Have a great time - enjoy the preparation process - it is part of the fun.
Dave,
It is both. I like to do it once and see places and study the people who live there. It is on my bucket list I need to do.

You have a beautiful boat, why not use her to her full potential to see the world.

I totally agree, dreaming and preparation are a lot of fun. And dreams do come true.

Fine Print:
Old 05-22-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
You have a beautiful boat, why not use her to her full potential to see the world.
Thanks for your kind words. Getting around the other 2/3s is in the plan.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Old 05-22-2011
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

No sweat, well deserved compliment.

Just read up this from Beth A. Leonard
http://www.bethandevans.com/pdf/So%20Indian%20Ocean.pdf

It comes with Part I and II, very good read about Indian Ocean.

Many here suggested it should be from East to West. but I just noticed that Jessica Watson went from West to East. I just got your book but have not read yet. I will find out later why this is so.

Fine Print:
Old 05-22-2011

Ilenart is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No sweat, well deserved compliment.

but I just noticed that Jessica Watson went from West to East. I just got your book but have not read yet. I will find out later why this is so.
Jessica was alone, non-stop and in a hurry so west to east is the fastest. East to west would be a lot safer and enjoyable if you were stopping along the way (that why they call the Pacific leg the milk run / barefoot passage). Jon Sander's books on his double and triple circumnavigations are also worth checking out for southern ocean info. Endless storms and freezing conditions about sums it up.

Ilenart