Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
berings , bushings , cracked rings & galled valve stems & guides ( sometimes )
that normally happens to a seized eng if hammered on but it sounds like you might be lucky as it worked ok after a short cool down peorid & tolorances are looser on an older eng..

def check the oil and replace & look for bronz color in it and run a magnet through the old oil to see if you find any shrapnel.

best of luck & would bet a buck your ok ....

JMHO
Old 05-23-2011

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by alman View Post
I probably don't want to know, but what are those long term downsides you mention if an engine partially seizes?
Firstly let me say that you may not have had a partial seizure so I'm not trying to "doom prophet" the thing. But . . .

What happens is that a partial seizure generally causes the pistons to "pick up" on the barrels, sort of starts to weld themselves to the barrels of the cylinders. This condition cannot go away. If it's there it will either stay as it is or it will probably get worse as the rings start to clog with bits of the melted metal.

So if it did partially seize there is a fair chance it will start to sound a little rattly, commonly called piston slap. As the rings clog there will be a loss of compression, black smoke from incomplete combustion, loss of power, difficult starting and so the list goes on.

You may not experience any of the above if you're lucky and you also may not experience all of them. Just be conscious of the symptoms because if they start to manifest themselves you may be advised to act sooner rather than wait for a catastrophic failure.

Good luck. I hope there is another reason for the engine "quitting".

PS. In my experience overheating unless its really severe won't affect the bottom end (crank, bearingss, etc), it is generally in the cylinders where the heat is generated, not in the crank case.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2011

saillife is on a distinguished road
Did you try restarting the engine or just get towed in?

I overheated my 28 year old 3gm Yanmar 2 years ago and ended having the engine rebuilt this past winter. Why yes, I do hang the engine key on the raw water intake valve for a reason now!

My story is a somewhat different case, the engine was _old_ when I overheated it and the rings got burned on the middle piston. It didn't stop though when the alarms went off. I shut it down. Lots of smoke and 'piston slap' last year until it warmed up. Like others have said hard to tell until you try to fire it back up. I could have gone on running the engine the way it was but, I felt it was time anyway to have it rebuilt.

My concern would be with water siphoning back into the cylinders which can cause all sorts of bad problems and would explain the engine stopping.

Yanmar IIRC recommends that the valves be adjusted/checked for clearance if you've overheated the engine. Not a big job, my mechanic did it and diagnosed the cyclinder problem in about an hour and a half.

I wish you the best of luck
Old 05-23-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
If the exhaust normally is above the water line, and it was submerged to some depth, that would create backpressure which might be enough to stop the engine. So it might not have seized--it might have simply stopped because of excess backpressure. Odds of this are more likely if you were running slowly.

There's only two ways the back of the boat settles deeper in the water. One being the normal squatting at speed, which you say isn't normal for this boat. The other being the trim of the boat has been upset. So either a couple of hundred pounds came off the bow, or got added into the stern, or...there is one other reason the stern would go down that way.

You've survived an encounter with a giant kraken, which attempted to grasp your boat and pull it down to the bottom of the sea! It happens very rarely, but every sailor will tell you these things happen.
Old 05-23-2011
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Happens all the time around here (Salish Sea is home to the largest octos), surprised no one else suggested this as the cause.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 05-23-2011

alman is on a distinguished road
HelloSailor, I knew they shouldn't have released the kraken!!!

Yes, we motored to our slip, altho it was only 5 minutes away.
And we started the engine up again the next day at the dock for about 5-10 minutes......with no problems.

Part of me says,Yay, we survived the kraken. But the other part of me says, drat, his tentacle may still drag us down slowly.
Old 05-30-2011

alman is on a distinguished road
So far so good!
Engine started up and worked just fine over the weekend.
Beautiful winds being what they were on the Chesapeake, we didn't do a whole lot of motoring....perhaps 1/2 hour each way. But no obvious problems/sounds/ etc.

Thanks all for your input.
Old 05-30-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
Your hubby has it right. The belt broke and allowed the engine to get hot setting off the alarm. Without the raw water pump working the wet muffler went dry and caused the exhaust to get loud, like losing the packing from a car muffler.

The engine may have gotten hot enough to momentarily seize the piston/s in the bore and stall the engine. When that happens there is almost certain metal transfer from the piston to the cylinder wall but depending on how hard it stuck it may not have been a bad enough seizure to cause serious damage. The more throttle you were giving it when it seized the worse the damage. If you had already throttled back because of the noise then maybe there won't be so much damage to the piston and rings. You will have some indication of the extent of the damage if the engine has trouble starting, smokes excessively or starts using oil. It would not be common to have bearing or rod damage from a simple overheating as long as you had oil pressure (completely different engine system). If it starts normally, doesn't smoke or use oil then you are probably OK. You should also keep a very close eye on the engine oil and coolant water for a while, milky oil or oily water will indicate a cracked block, head or a blown head gasket.
Old 05-30-2011

sawingknots is on a distinguished road
i doubt there is any long term damage but sj is right you should keep an eye for water in the oil for a couple of days,one possible explaination for the low stern is that while your boat was on the hard it may have not been blocked a little lower in the stern and rain water collected towards the bow,after it was splashed, this water eventually worked its way to the stern until your bilge pump removed it
Old 05-31-2011
Senior in age only!!!

centaursailor is on a distinguished road
Glad all is well, it,s good to be lucky somedays.
Safe sailing