I gotta admit, it does freak me out a bit. - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-22-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
pistonbully is on a distinguished road
I gotta admit, it does freak me out a bit.

So many of you know that I "Just want to sail away". And for the most part it all sounds very very good. Living in a small place with minimulism being a part of my daily life, sounds ok. Saving my $$ and quitting my job is ok. Leaving my town and all my friends, is ok. But the one thing that freaks me out is being out in the middle of all that deep blue all alone.Not that i am afraid of being lonely, just being on my "Own" and relying on my own knowledge, Sometimes I come to grips with it and tell myself that it's no big deal. But sometimes I think about it or watch a youtube video of a boat bobbing around on some big swells and get a little spooked! I'm gonna do it regardless. I'm not one to back down from a challenge but man it's a big pill to swallow.

It really gets me when I look at my over all goal of sailing basicly from Chesepeke to the US virgins and try and get some work about a year into my trip. I look at google earth and see all that space between say st croix and Florida and think " Crap that's far!".

Just curious while i'm on this subject. I'm working out ETA's on this trip.. would you say that maybe Baltimore to florida on the ICW would be about 6 weeks on a 28 ish footer?

If you had a small inboard diesel or a small outboard gas pushing said boat how much would you expect to spend on fuel getting down the coast to florida? I know you can sail some of it (ICW) but not all.

I'm starting to think it might be a lot cheaper to just start around florida to begin with. But I wanted the chesepeke to gain knowledge of sailing.


Thanks guys,

mostly just venting here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #2  
Old 05-22-2011
tdw's Avatar
tdw tdw is offline
Super Fuzzy Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sydney Australia
Posts: 14,599
Thanks: 5
Thanked 73 Times in 68 Posts
Rep Power: 10
tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistonbully View Post
So many of you know that I "Just want to sail away". And for the most part it all sounds very very good. Living in a small place with minimulism being a part of my daily life, sounds ok. Saving my $$ and quitting my job is ok. Leaving my town and all my friends, is ok. But the one thing that freaks me out is being out in the middle of all that deep blue all alone.Not that i am afraid of being lonely, just being on my "Own" and relying on my own knowledge, Sometimes I come to grips with it and tell myself that it's no big deal. But sometimes I think about it or watch a youtube video of a boat bobbing around on some big swells and get a little spooked! I'm gonna do it regardless. I'm not one to back down from a challenge but man it's a big pill to swallow.

It really gets me when I look at my over all goal of sailing basicly from Chesepeke to the US virgins and try and get some work about a year into my trip. I look at google earth and see all that space between say st croix and Florida and think " Crap that's far!".

Just curious while i'm on this subject. I'm working out ETA's on this trip.. would you say that maybe Baltimore to florida on the ICW would be about 6 weeks on a 28 ish footer?

If you had a small inboard diesel or a small outboard gas pushing said boat how much would you expect to spend on fuel getting down the coast to florida? I know you can sail some of it (ICW) but not all.

I'm starting to think it might be a lot cheaper to just start around florida to begin with. But I wanted the chesepeke to gain knowledge of sailing.


Thanks guys,

mostly just venting here.
Piston, the Womboat goes through around one litre an hour at five knots. She's running a 24hp diesel, 34' loa. 28'er will use no more than that so its not going to be ruinously expensive.
__________________
Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #3  
Old 05-22-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
pistonbully is on a distinguished road
k, Good to know..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #4  
Old 05-22-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 9,122
Thanks: 10
Thanked 143 Times in 129 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
No need to be alone in the middle of a boiling ocean until you are ready to be. Pick your weather. There are also many places to layup between FL and the virgin islands: all of the Bahamas, Turks and cacos, Puerto Rico........
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #5  
Old 05-22-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,129
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 6
WanderingStar is on a distinguished road
Practice and experience will build confidence. You may be wary each time you reach a new level, but it's the only way to do it. "Experience starts when you begin".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #6  
Old 05-22-2011
imagine2frolic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,831
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
It's one step at a time. First learn to sail, and go from there. You are freaking out about nothing., I believe it's more dangerous to drive around the S.F. Bay Area than sail on the ocean.

Also I would spend my time in the Bahamas. The BVI is nice, but not much compares to the Bahamas..........i2f
__________________
20 MPH ain't fast unless, you do it in a 1000sq 3/2 house on 10foot waves
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #7  
Old 05-22-2011
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Narragansett Bay
Posts: 9,122
Thanks: 10
Thanked 143 Times in 129 Posts
Rep Power: 6
Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Also I would spend my time in the Bahamas. The BVI is nice, but not much compares to the Bahamas..........i2f
I find the Bahamas to be fairly spread out, while the BVIs have numerous destination sails <3hrs. However, some of the out islands of the Bahamas can really feel like exploring, with very limited services. You will routinely find residents that have never left those islands, or possibly only to go to Nassau if someone was in the hospital.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #8  
Old 05-22-2011
imagine2frolic's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,831
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rep Power: 7
imagine2frolic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I find the Bahamas to be fairly spread out, while the BVIs have numerous destination sails <3hrs. However, some of the out islands of the Bahamas can really feel like exploring, with very limited services. You will routinely find residents that have never left those islands, or possibly only to go to Nassau if someone was in the hospital.
To me that is part of the charm. I spent a month in the BVI between to different occassions, and 4 seasons in the Bahamas. I like the fact you can have the remoteness, or choose lots of social interaction. . Anchoring on top of eachother is not my iidea of fun, but for some it is ideal......i2f
__________________
20 MPH ain't fast unless, you do it in a 1000sq 3/2 house on 10foot waves
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


BORROWED, No single one of us is as smart as all of us!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #9  
Old 05-22-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
pistonbully is on a distinguished road
I know I tend to over think sometimes and sketch myself out ( I blame youtube for this) but then I calm down start going over the plan and it's back to business..

I am happy to say however that I told my brother and sister and they were both much to my surprise very supportive.They both thought it sounded like something I would do, lol. I just have known them to sometimes think i'm nuts. I thought this time they might of signed me up for the looney bin.

Yeah, i do plan to spend as much time as I can making my way south. I'd love to get through the VI's just after winter make some job contacts and be able to go hide out somewhere for the hurricanes in the spring (Prbly rio dulce or somewhere closer/cheaper/safer? maybe port of spain or other) .. I'm sure I will figure that out as I go.. and then idealy if I like it I will head directly back to the VI's for a solid work season to restock the kitty then duck out for more travel/adventure as the next hurricane season starts to come around. I'm sure by then I will know where I want to go next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
  #10  
Old 05-22-2011
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 90
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 4
pistonbully is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
There are also many places to layup between FL and the virgin islands: all of the Bahamas, Turks and cacos, Puerto Rico........
Oh for sure, Sorry I think I miss wrote in my original post. I plan to hit ALL that good stuff on the way down. I will be day sailing only.. And taking as long as I can to do it safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Freak boating accident kills former Coastsider - Half Moon Bay Review and Pescadero Pebble NewsReader News Feeds 0 09-25-2006 08:15 PM
New theory (and old equations) may explain causes of ship-sinking freak waves (PhysOrg) NewsReader News Feeds 0 09-13-2006 04:26 PM
100 CAPSIZED BY FREAK TORNADO (Lynn News) NewsReader News Feeds 0 07-25-2006 04:15 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:13 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.