Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-22-2011

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about
I'm shameless, but I'm not that shameless.

I think the problem is that word, "donate." It seems like most of the blogs that are looking for fiscal support all use the same ready-made "Donate" button widget. It makes it sound like a charitable contribution, and it also looks like nobody put any thought or care into the presentation. C'mon, you want me to donate without even justifying why? Throw me a bone, tell me why you need my donation, make me care. Hey, if you don't care, methinks, why should I? I would be more inclined to toss a sheckel or two at an entertaining and useful site that has a "tip jar" button with a story than one that asks me to "donate".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2011
Da Most Educated Red Neck

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road
Seriously, you can't please everyone here in Sailnet. To be honest, the money that will comes in will not be from the regular sailors or captains. It has to be from the masses of the public. If you have the writing skills and are being a prolific writer with wits and style, it will work.

I would put it out there, continue to learn from your reader, adapt, evolve and be bold. Learn to be your reader's voice, dreams and inspiration, your passion will be fulfilled, and the money will follow.

Good luck

Fine Print:
I read, I think, and I act independently; I don't come here to win a popular contest on Sailnet, nor I am here for hookup. I come here to learn, be challenged and be inspired in the art of sailing the big Ponds. I am NOT afraid of drowning in the sea, but I am afraid of dying in a nursing home and burdening those who I love.
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 05-22-2011

NautiG is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ34 View Post
However, I must confess a morbid fascination with a couple of cruisers who heave-to and sail way off course every time the wind blows. I also enjoyed the movie made by the yahoo (that used to be a term for morons and idiots on display) who went cruising on a derelict boat without even basic equipment and had to set 4 or 5 anchors on scabbed together cordage to stay put in a blow. Fascinating stuff.
Darn, I thought I might be the yahoo you were referring to, until you mentioned a movie. I did keep a blog, while cruising for a year. But then I only turned it into a book, no movie.

I did loose a couple anchors, and broke a couple more cheap danforths until I switched to a next gen anchor. And I sailed off course more than a couple times. Can't wait to do it again!

We're still waiting for the links to the cruiser blogs you enjoy.

Scott
Gemini Catamaran Split Decision
Old 05-23-2011

bdietrich is on a distinguished road
I put ads on my web pages, including my cruising blog. Used to make maybe $1K/year from them (I have a pretty big site), but I think rates have gone down and more people are using ad-blockers in their browsers; I probably make half that now. I don't have a "donate" button anywhere. Might be nice if people un-block ads on my site if they like my site; that's what I do for other sites I like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sailing vessel "Magnolia": 1973 Gulfstar 44 ketch motor-sailer
Old 05-23-2011
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road
reading the title of this thread I thought it was going to give me insight on how to make money while doing what I enjoy (sailing).
I too wondered, when seeing donate buttons, if it was a bit cheesey. Then I also thought if people felt entertained or just inspired, what's the harm ?
I'm more suprised by people I've met cruising who were just starting out and didn't even know how to anchor and had little or no boating experience at all. then , running into them a year later and finding out they are giving paid seminars to people who want to learn or know about how to cruise !!! I've also seen folks who have started blogging about how they sold it all or quit it all and ther struggles to ajust to living aboard.
Then a year later they are giving lectures for a fee and solicting donors and sponsors to go on a cruise !!
If it sounds like I'm jealous , that is only because I AM !
Old 05-23-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Unless you have a really good hook its not going to be a serious earner.

There is a blog out there (I've lost the link , sorry) from a couple of young good lookers who are out there on a Hallberg Rassey. They are apparently doing quite nicely though whether this is due to general interest or the fact she is drop dead gorgeous and every second picture is madam draped in pocket handerchief I cannot say.

The other interesting tale was from SailNet contributer Dylan Winter who made at one stage a series of films on trucks in the the NW US. He had them on the same site as his KeepTurningLeft vids and while he struggles to make money out the infinitely more pleasurable KTL vids it was the truck vids that brought in the revenue.

So if you want to make money from your blog you should , it seems, either have crew of appropriate vogue model looks and are happy to disport themselves in nowt but a pocket handkerchief while presumably driving a truck, not sailing a yacht. (If somehow you could bring in predictions of rapture , sorry THE rapture not just drooling over your crew's wibbly bits, you might go even further.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 05-24-2011

SJ34 is on a distinguished road
OK here it is Hold Fast on Vimeo

I'm glad nobody was killed or injured in the making of this movie.

BTW, the narrator drops a few F bombs in case your offended by such language or have young children around.
Old 05-24-2011
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
Unless you have a really good hook its not going to be a serious earner.

There is a blog out there (I've lost the link , sorry) from a couple of young good lookers who are out there on a Hallberg Rassey. They are apparently doing quite nicely though whether this is due to general interest or the fact she is drop dead gorgeous and every second picture is madam draped in pocket handerchief I cannot say.

So if you want to make money from your blog you should , it seems, either have crew of appropriate vogue model looks and are happy to disport themselves in nowt but a pocket handkerchief while presumably driving a truck, not sailing a yacht. (If somehow you could bring in predictions of rapture , sorry THE rapture not just drooling over your crew's wibbly bits, you might go even further.
The H-R folks are here: Windtraveler (I think the writing on this one's pretty good, too) but for frequent photos of skimpily-clad, try this: http://www.zerotocruising.com/

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Old 05-24-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingNwing View Post
The H-R folks are here: Windtraveler (I think the writing on this one's pretty good, too) but for frequent photos of skimpily-clad, try this: http://www.zerotocruising.com/
Wing,

No that's not the one. I'll see if I can find it and will post link later on.

Andrew

ps - The Hold Fast blog was fun and not a little horrifying. I'm glad they got away with it, hell I almost admire them for being so reckless.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 05-24-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 05-24-2011

catamount is on a distinguished road
The blog you guys are looking for, with that hottie Taru, is here: The World Tour - Alex and Taru sailing around the world - Hallberg Rassy 352 - Caribbean

, a new voice for ocean conservation

Last edited by catamount; 05-24-2011 at 06:49 PM.