Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount View Post
The Catamount gets the cigar ...

The other site I mentioned was of course my good friend the irrespressible Dylan Winter and here comes a plug ...

www.keepturningleft.co.uk

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2011

Lin and Larry is on a distinguished road
As some one who has been wonderfully fortunate in finding that writing helped fill our cruising kitty, I found this to be an interesting discussion. It reminds me about our reaction when people first started asking for sponsorship for races like the singlehanded race way back in the early 70's. What we wondered was, were these sailors aware of the pressure they were putting on themselves by accepting sponsorship. Now they were letting other people into their sailing life and taking on extra responsibilities. Now they would have to do things that they might not do if they were thinking only of their boat and pure seamanship. Sure enough several did get in to serious trouble and in fact three of our friends lost their lives at sea because they had to set sail before they were fully prepared or when weather conditions were not good, because of the promises they made their sponsors.

Blogging, especially if people are actually paying for access to your site, can put the same type of pressure on a sailor. It also opens the blogger to public scrutiny. We have some sailing friends who hadn't realized that their blog would reach beyond their close friends. They started getting some real critical feedback about sailing decisions they made, mishaps they related, and later found they couldn't eliminate some of the unkind remarks from the internet. Just a thought to add to the discussion.

On May 13th, Christine Kling who blogs on a website for sailors who want to be writers, put up an interview we did about how we got started writing and how it contributed to our cruising kitty at Write On The Water | So you want to quit your job, move onto a boat, and write . It might be of interest here.

(Statement of interest - Christine Kling contacted us because our publishers publicist contacted them about Bull Canyon, a Boatbuilder, a writer and other Wildlife, our latest book.)
Old 05-24-2011

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
I am about to add a Paypal donation link on my website/blog. But I also post technical projects that I hope people will benefit from. I see nothing wrong with this. I also feel I will contribute key information to help people take the steps we are about to take quitting our lucrative professional jobs to go cruising full time.

So in sumary, my site could provide value that you can choose to pay for or not. I cannot even come close to estimating all the free time and advice I have given fellow boaters when I could be working at my profession and making money.

Btw, the new website has not been launched yet so it is not what is in the link in my sig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 05-25-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by josrulz View Post
I wonder if another possibility is writing an ebook, which is something that the reader must purchase in order to access the content. If the content has value to people--entertainment, instruction, tips, facts, whatever--then people will pay a reasonable price for it, if they know about it (granted, that's a crucial piece of the puzzle). I don't know if one can bring in enough real income from an ebook, and of course it's a totally different model from blogging, but I thought I'd mention it because it is all electronic and one can do it without a publisher.
-J
OK - finally something with which I have some experience. eBooks. Yes, but, similar to print based books they have to have certain things before they will be big sellersl.
  1. must be a good book
  2. must be in an genre that people want
  3. must be a really good book
  4. must be well written
  5. must be a really really good book

I think I mentioned that it must be good.

Facts:
  • Last month, Amazon sold more eBooks than trade paperbacks.
  • Authors often get about 4% royalties for print based works
  • Authors often get about 35% to 70% royalties for eBook based works
  • Authors can self-publish eBooks - so, there can be a lot of crap out there
  • Authors can self-publish eBooks - so, there can be a lot of un-discovered gold out there
  • Authors can set the book so that a potential fan can read 50% of the book before buying
  • Most eBooks cost from free to about $2.99
  • Most print based books cost - well, you know what they cost.

Linda has five of her OOP (out of print) novels up as eBooks and will have four more up by the end of June. Most are set on or near the ocean. She is not making money hand over fist, but as they say up the east coast of Canada in February:

"It's better than a kick in the head with a frozen boot!"

Rik and Linda
Mystery
Old 05-25-2011
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin and Larry View Post
Christine Kling who blogs on a website for sailors who want to be writers, put up an interview we did about how we got started writing and how it contributed to our cruising kitty at Write On The Water | So you want to quit your job, move onto a boat, and write .
Christine also has a number of really great mystery/adventure fiction books with boats highly featured. Highly recommended.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2011

caos2010 is on a distinguished road
Well, TDW, I am glad you enjoyed the photography of our site but I am sure that you, and most others who read the log of our journey around the world, knows and understands that our blog hasn't become worlds most read sailing/yachting/cruising blog solely because of the pictures of yours truly. I think and I know through our Facebook fan-page and through comments and e-mails we daily receive, that it is the mixture of things which people continue to get back to us for. Our colorful photography, a story of a life which many dream of (and in fact many also get encourage to plan for themselves after reading our stories), informative write ups about some of the most beautiful places on Mother Earth, detailed descriptions of a life aboard, inspiring stories and also some technical advice regarding boating and sailing in general. I believe in great mixtures between high and low and that is what I think people read us for.

And back to the original subject if I may add my own thoughts regarding feeding the cruising kitty: We have never wanted to ask for donations on our blog as we have worked hard to earn the money we today are spending on our dream life and we intend to keep it that way. We believe in hard work and determination, not charities for people who are able to work for themselves. I know that many bloggers do use "Donations" as a part of their blog-project, and if that works good for them, that's great, but for us is has never been an option.

Advertising and sponsoring on the other hand, are something we most definitely had in mind already before we set out on this journey of ours. As of the early interest and high traffic on the blog already before we set out on this tour, we knew that we would be able to make good partnerships with certain sailing/yachting/lifestyle brands. We could create a profitable win-win situation for us and the brands involved and that has shown to be very successful for both us and the brands we work with. We do not feel too much of pressure from any of our partners/sponsors as we were the ones setting up our own guidelines when we approached most sponsors and as we simply are not depending on any of them to make our dream come true.

We are very happy and proud for the great brands that has shown interest in joining our tour in one way or another and most probably we will continue to take on partnerships with the brands that we find suitable for a tour and blog like ours.

//Taru
Old 05-25-2011
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by caos2010 View Post
Well, TDW, I am glad you enjoyed the photography of our site but I am sure that you, and most others who read the log of our journey around the world, knows and understands that our blog hasn't become worlds most read sailing/yachting/cruising blog solely because of the pictures of yours truly. I think and I know through our Facebook fan-page and through comments and e-mails we daily receive, that it is the mixture of things which people continue to get back to us for. Our colorful photography, a story of a life which many dream of (and in fact many also get encourage to plan for themselves after reading our stories), informative write ups about some of the most beautiful places on Mother Earth, detailed descriptions of a life aboard, inspiring stories and also some technical advice regarding boating and sailing in general. I believe in great mixtures between high and low and that is what I think people read us for.

//Taru
Oh dear. Wombat does it again. Taru, regular readers of this forum know to take anything I post with a grain of salt. I don't so much need emoticons to indicate when I am being silly but more when I am being serious. Reality is though that your blog while containing fabulous photography (the food stuff is terrific) is in no way hindered by the fact that you are both young and good looking while you in particular are somewhat easy on the eye and seemingly content to strut your stuff. Nothing wrong with that. To boot the writing is better than average and you are making your way around. Good stuff in many respects. Not exactly deep and meaningful but hey, bugger all in the 21st century is. Good luck to you.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 05-25-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2011

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
I sure enjoyed the photography.... Woof! I would encourage anyone who enjoys photography to check that site out. I am 10-4 with your photography! Love that photography!
Old 05-25-2011
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
eryka, the year before he started Dianetics, L. Ron Hubbard was asked at a major writer's conference "Can you make a living writing..." and his answer was if you want to make a living, don't be a writer, start a religion.

For every writer who can make a living, or even donut money, there's ten thousand trying and coming up broke. So by all means, follow the dream, put up the donation box, but don't give up your day job.

Unless, you're starting a religion. (G)
Old 05-25-2011
old guy :)

rikhall will become famous soon enough
Three writers were walking back to their hotel room from a conference when they were accosted by a gun totting assailant.

"Your money or your life!" the assailant demanded.

To which the writers reply "We're authors, we have neither."